How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2007
backstage pass

Is Obagi safe and is it expensive?

09-06-2007
tfs star

^Ogabi Nu Derm is a line of products that costs around $200+ total (you're supposed to use them all together). That said a lot of people just use the night cream called Ogabi Clear ($60.00 irrc) and skip the rest. The Clear is the primary lightening agent because it contains a potent melanin-inhibiting ingredient called hydroquinone. The safety of hydroquinone has been controversial for years. It may slightly raise the risk of certain kinds of cancer if used excessively, but there's also research to suggest it repairs sun damage and fine lines when combined with Retin A. A lot of people report amazing results from Ogabi, but the drawback is you have to go through a hellish period of peeling for a few weeks to get there. Also like Retin A, it makes your skin more prone to sun damage so strong protection is essential.

Last edited by marqueemoon; 09-06-2007 at 03:40 AM.
10-06-2007
backstage pass

I did not peel. BUT I did go through an ugly stage because my skin was lightening unevenly. I just took a few days off the Clear and all is well again. It works THAT well. You don't need all the products. Just the Clear, Exfoderm and Blender. Those are the top 3. In addition the retin a is a MUST. I would use a normal cleanser and toner (even though I really like the Obagi toner) and SPF 35 or higher is a must (any brand). The 3 products together may run you $150 but it should last a few months.

10-06-2007
trendsetter

^ i dont think i want anything that strong like HQ, im pale already and all i want is using them to prevent freckles.

V.I.P.

My problem is i resemble a chocolate chip cookie.
i have very pale skin and dark prominent freckles and moles. i also have lighter discoloration due to melasma and sun damage.
i have used an spf-15 daily on my face without fail since i was 13. i have recently started using olay difinity (it purports to reduce discoloration) i havent seen a whole lot of results although it is a great moisturizer.
i have to buy the lightest foundations available. i'm that pale.
i will be going to the dermatologist in a few days. i am going to ask him to prescribe something that will lighten my skin and hopefully help remove the discoloration. im worried that he wont think my condition is serious enough.
anyone have any advice for me?
what should i say if he stonewalls?
i also want to ask for retin a, but i dont want to push my luck. im more concerned about discoloration now.

how long does the obagi clear night cream last if used daily? can i get it at sephora?

12-06-2007
trendsetter

^ tell him u wanna erase the spot, and if anything that can do that.
and yes try to use higher SPF product, mayb the spf 15 doesnt work strong enough. im pretty darn pale too (and most important of all i cant tan, so i need to play up my snow-maness) and the store like tell me u at least spf 25 or higher.

V.I.P.

i have just returned from the dermatologist, and as i suspected he did stonewall a bit. i asked him about my sun damage and he said the only thing that would really help would be certain kinds of lasers and certain kinds of peels.
he diagnosed he as having sun damage and an "age spot". (which was kind of disturbing to hear at my age).
i told him "but i want something topical.." and he said that nothing topical really works.
he did give me a script for triluma (which apparently helps with melasma which i dont have anymore) i dont know if the triluma will help with my light freckling and age spots. maybe not.
i also got a script for retin a micro, which im excited about. this may also fade things on my face due to peeling. and help with mild acne and wrinkles as well.

im thinking i should start saving money for lasers.

15-06-2007
tfs star

^first of all, and most importantly, get a better sunscreen with a higher spf AND ppd because the UVAs will kill you otherwise. Remember to apply enough to fill a shot glass and reapply at least once a day. More if you sweat or are in the sun for extended periods. Also use hats, sunglasses, SPF protected clothing, etc. No matter what products or lasers you use you won't get rid of the hyperpigmentation until you minimize sun exposure. In fact it will get worse if you use exfoliating products like Retin A without amping up the sun protection.

What kind of sunscreen do you use?

Last edited by marqueemoon; 15-06-2007 at 12:19 AM.
15-06-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
^first of all, and most importantly, get a better sunscreen with a higher spf AND ppd because the UVAs will kill you otherwise. Remember to apply enough to fill a shot glass and reapply at least once a day. More if you sweat or are in the sun for extended periods. Also use hats, sunglasses, SPF protected clothing, etc. No matter what products or lasers you use you won't get rid of the hyperpigmentation until you minimize sun exposure. In fact it will get worse if you use exfoliating products like Retin A without amping up the sun protection.

What kind of sunscreen do you use?
Sorry to butt in here but apply enough sunscreen to fill a shot glass just to your face?! Or is that to your face, neck, shoulders too? I imagine a shot glass will allow 5 applications of a bottle of La Roche Posay before it's gone! I use maybe 1/6 of a shot glass at most and it covers the whole of my face for sure.

What type of SPF-protected clothing? Are white shirts sufficient? Or is it a special type? Geez, I can imagine this getting really expensive...

Thanks again, marqueemoon.

15-06-2007
backstage pass

Yes, I need to start wearing hats/visors too. I absolutely HATE to feel the sun on my face even though I use spf.

15-06-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
My problem is i resemble a chocolate chip cookie.
i have very pale skin and dark prominent freckles and moles. i also have lighter discoloration due to melasma and sun damage.
i have used an spf-15 daily on my face without fail since i was 13. i have recently started using olay difinity (it purports to reduce discoloration) i havent seen a whole lot of results although it is a great moisturizer.
i have to buy the lightest foundations available. i'm that pale.
i will be going to the dermatologist in a few days. i am going to ask him to prescribe something that will lighten my skin and hopefully help remove the discoloration. im worried that he wont think my condition is serious enough.
anyone have any advice for me?
what should i say if he stonewalls?
i also want to ask for retin a, but i dont want to push my luck. im more concerned about discoloration now.

how long does the obagi clear night cream last if used daily? can i get it at sephora?
I don't think you can get the Obagi at sephora, but you can get it at cosmetic derm offices, medi spas and online. Just do a search. Also, look online for images (just type in Obagi and search for photos) and you'll see what it can do with freckles. Since you're fair, you don't have to be as careful as me because the HQ will target the cells that are overproducing melanin. Your fair skin doesn't ave a lot of melanin but your freckles will be targeted because they do. Whereas a person of color will have ALL the melanocytes targeted whether they are causing the problem or not. I wish I had tried Obagi sooner. I believe I will no longer need makeup by the end of the year for sure.

15-06-2007
V.I.P.

i use spf 15 or 30 without fail every day on my face all year round. i also use a foundation with an spf of 17 over that. i am hardly ever out in the sun. i always cover up as well. if i am out in the sun shopping on a summer day i spray with neutrogena with helioplex on my legs.
i havent been swimming at the beach in 6 years.

i was actually thinking about buying some SPF clothing for my dad. he is out in the sun a lot. apparently, it works. and its not so expensive. you can even wash the garments numerous times.

i see that my salon/spa sells obagi, i am going to discuss it with them. maybe they will cough up some free samples for me.

that is really exciting that you may not have to use makeup/foundation in the future, francofille. that would be a dream come true for me...

i am going to apply the retin a at night, during the day i will either use neutrogena on my face with helioplex or la roche posay (30$).

the retin a micro cost 45$ with insurance, by the way. in case anyones wondering. my derms were saying that my insurance would be less likely to pay for it in a few years however. im glad im getting it now.

16-06-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by galviggo View Post
Sorry to butt in here but apply enough sunscreen to fill a shot glass just to your face?! Or is that to your face, neck, shoulders too? I imagine a shot glass will allow 5 applications of a bottle of La Roche Posay before it's gone! I use maybe 1/6 of a shot glass at most and it covers the whole of my face for sure.

What type of SPF-protected clothing? Are white shirts sufficient? Or is it a special type? Geez, I can imagine this getting really expensive...

Thanks again, marqueemoon.
Okay, I should have clarified that bit about the shot glass. If youre using a physical, mineral sunscreen then apply a shotglass to neck, hands and face. If you're using a chemical sunscreen, like La Roche Posay you can apply less because the chemical sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin while the physical is just a physical block. For a chemical sunscreen apply one layer over your face and neck and then reapply in ten or fifteen minutes to get the spots you missed. Then you're good to go.

If your clothes are tightly knit and the fabric isn't sheer you don't need to worry about special clothing. You can basically tell by looking at the fabric under the sun and seeing how much light passes through (visible sunlight is a good indication of the amount of radiation). If you want extra protection there are many spf clothing sites to choose from. here's one:
http://www.alexandme.com/
I would recommend it only if you get a lot of sun. Might be good for a day on the beach for example.

17-06-2007
V.I.P.

With the increased risk of certain cancers you'd think people would embrace their skin tone and skip the hydroquinone. Yikes!

17-06-2007
trendsetter

^ so does suntanning people know they will age faster and have skin cancer but every summer everyone is dying to darken their skintone, its the same thing

btw im looking for natural skin brighten without hydroquinone, any suggestion?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lightening, products, skin, whitening