How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-06-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
With the increased risk of certain cancers you'd think people would embrace their skin tone and skip the hydroquinone. Yikes!
Um, no need to be so judgemental!

I personally am using Obagi because my natural skin tone (as you put it) is no longer what it was. I also have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne. That's what these products are for. No one said anything about lightening to the degree of Michael Jackson or about not embracing their natural skintone. Everything in life has a risk. As long as you use HQ properly, it should not harm you.

18-06-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
With the increased risk of certain cancers you'd think people would embrace their skin tone and skip the hydroquinone. Yikes!
I agree! I grew up in a culture where white skin = beauty and black/brown skin = ugly. As a result a lot of black women, some of my family members included, used skin lightning creams. After years of exposure most of these women went from being dark skinned to being red skinned (they looked like burnt meat)! The idea of skin lightning creams therefore makes me nervous.

I do understand the idea, however, of wanting to maintain one's natural complexion. I guess people have to find the safest way to do this.

18-06-2007
V.I.P.

studies have shown that hyperpigmentation and 'age spots' make people look older. that's why im concerned about it.

i think im going to hold off on the retin a for now. and try the triluma for 6 weeks and see if theres any improvement in the age spots and freckles. the triluma website doesnt discuss age spot/freckling issues. perhaps because this is an "off label" use and insurance companies wont want to cover the product if it isnt for melasma.

in countries such as jamaica, there are cases where people abuse hydroquinine, this is why the FDA in the US is concerned about it.

19-06-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
Okay, I should have clarified that bit about the shot glass. If youre using a physical, mineral sunscreen then apply a shotglass to neck, hands and face. If you're using a chemical sunscreen, like La Roche Posay you can apply less because the chemical sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin while the physical is just a physical block. For a chemical sunscreen apply one layer over your face and neck and then reapply in ten or fifteen minutes to get the spots you missed. Then you're good to go.

If your clothes are tightly knit and the fabric isn't sheer you don't need to worry about special clothing. You can basically tell by looking at the fabric under the sun and seeing how much light passes through (visible sunlight is a good indication of the amount of radiation). If you want extra protection there are many spf clothing sites to choose from. here's one:
http://www.alexandme.com/
I would recommend it only if you get a lot of sun. Might be good for a day on the beach for example.
Just tried to karma you but the function pooped on me again...

Thanks for all that.

1 more: is a physical mineral sunscreen better for you? It sounds better than a chemical sunscreen. What type do you recommend?

30-08-2007
trendsetter

I understand the hesitation in using hydroquinone in the longterm; like everything, one should consider the long term effects of any active ingredients in medicines, drugs, even food etc. But to compare Obagi's products that contain a small amount of hydroquinone to use of actual bleach and enormous amounts of topical application of hydroquinone in places in Jamaica or Africa where regulation of cosmetics and chemicals is not as vigilant in Europe/US is not really a fare assessment. They are using mainly homemade bleaching creams and chemicals that don't come under the scrutiny of dermatologists or scientific community (though I do understand there is no regulation of cosmetics in the US correct?). And the amount of chemicals used compared to home kits like Obagi etc, is enormous. Most people that use products like Obagi want even skin tone, be rid of unsightly marks, not magically change their race.

30-08-2007
trendsetter

Also, yes there are products with hydroquinone. I can't remember if it was this or the acne thread, but someone asked about MaMa Lotion. That contains no hydroquinone, and is ok for those with dark skin to use. I ordered some, and let you know how it goes.

30-08-2007
trendsetter

i think the highest concentantration you can get over the counter - in canada at least dunno about the US - is 3% hydroquinone so it's not going to be likely you'll get anything dangerous for you skin.

anyone know the conc. in obagi?

30-08-2007
trendsetter

I believe 4% and/or less for Obagi.

30-08-2007
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
studies have shown that hyperpigmentation and 'age spots' make people look older. that's why im concerned about it.

i think im going to hold off on the retin a for now. and try the triluma for 6 weeks and see if theres any improvement in the age spots and freckles. the triluma website doesnt discuss age spot/freckling issues. perhaps because this is an "off label" use and insurance companies wont want to cover the product if it isnt for melasma.
see any results? I've been on triluma since early july. at first I didn't think it was doing crap but recently I think it's really improved a certain area on my chin that used to be much darker.

I'm using it combined with laser treatment though.

p.s. my dermatologist is AMAZING, if you're unhappy with yours PM me and I'll tell you about mine since we're regional neighbors

19-07-2008
Spring of Córdoba

i don't see anything wrong with people desiring a lighter skin
they're just as many as people who want to get a tanned skin
to each his own i say

i haven't seen this friend of mine for a long time and when i saw her yesterday i was shocked of how fair/bright her skin became ..she's been using some skin whitening pills
i'm thinking of trying them ..

tfs star

are they the ones from Denmark?^

11-09-2008
windowshopping

does it have any side effects?

12-09-2008
Spring of Córdoba

^ no. actually the only side effect of these pills is getting a whiter skin. btw i send you a pm

nicky25. no she got them from Japan. they're called L-Glutathione but i'm not sure from which brand
i found them in GNC 50g only but the ones she got are 500g.

windowshopping

I heard if you stop taking the pills, your skin will get darker than its regular tone.

24-10-2008
windowshopping

nope, they just cause liver damage but they are still popular especially in asia right now.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lightening, products, skin, whitening