How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-09-2006
scenester

Soap and water
I started washing my face just with dove soap because i had some cloged pores due to using moisturiser. Although my skin's cleared up i'm now worried that by using no creams or lotions i am going to wrinkle faster just wondering what other members think

23-09-2006
backstage pass

I have this same problem - my face breaks out if I use ANYTHING to wash it besides water and the hypo-allergenic Oil of Olay soap for sensitive skin (used to use the Dove, but they started putting sweet almond oil in it, and I'm allergic). I feel really badly, like I'm wrecking my skin completely, but I have tried so many brands across such a range of prices, all promising to be completely fine and safe and good, and none of them work nearly as well as my soap and water. So I'm sticking to it.

I would keep experimenting with moisterizers though - I notice if I forget mine, if I'm drinking a lot of water, in the summer my skin will be ok. In the winter though...forget it. My face gets extremely dry and tight, and I can almost feel the wrinkles forming. I've gone through the same very expensive trials with face lotions as I did with cleansers and only one works, without breaking me out/drying me out/clogging pores/giving me hives - Rachel Perry's Cucumber and Calendula face lotion. It's lovely and light, barely scented, a little expensive for me ($18 for 4oz) but it's something I can't do without. I would see if you can find some and give it a try, but the soap should be fine if you follow it up with a good moisterizer. I always read in magazines that you should never, never use bar soap on your face, but I think the people writing that advice do not have skin as sensitive and finicky as mine. I'd rather risk the drying effect of the soap than the acne, rashes, and clogged pores of even the gentlest, most touted cleaners (not even the Rachel Perry cleaners will work on me while the face lotion does, very disappointing).

Don't know if you have the same problem with the skin on your body, but I've found the Jason Cocoa Butter lotion (in the tube, not the jar - they changed the formulation in the jar and it's horrid) works perfectly.

front row

what moisturizer were you using before?

24-09-2006
fashion icon

Dove soap is really good -i love the blue gentle exfoliating one- but moisturizer you should use at least once a day before going to bed.

24-09-2006
tfs star

Loads of people are conditioned by advertisements and beauty magazines that only one way of skin care is the right way - loads of products. It simply isn't true. You can have beautiful skin with just soap and water, if that is what works for you. If your skin doesn't look and feel better after the products you use, take a step back, you are wasting your time and money on something that isn't effective! We weren't born to rely on stuff like this. As you get older, you may need to moisturise your skin but really, just washing your face with soap and water is perfectly fine!

24-09-2006
trendsetter

My mom knew of a woman who was in her 60's or 70's who had only cleaned her face twice a day with Kiss My Face soap her entire adult life, and supossedly, she had the best skin my mother had ever seen on a woman that age. Of course, maybe the woman just had incredible skin genes, or maybe it was her regiman. I've heard to many different stories, I don't know what to believe anymore.

fashion icon

^ ^I envy those can live without any moisturizer. Though using it feels so good..

24-09-2006
front row

I can't rely solely on just soap and water because I breakout due to whacky hormones and a bad liver I inherited from my mom. (It's not effective in cleaning out those toxins.)

24-09-2006
scenester

i've used lots of moisturisers- biotherm,lancome,olay,nivea,etc and i still break out thankyou for the advice thought it's encouraging to know that i can live without products and still look good when i get older

24-09-2006
fashion elite

Personally..............I think a good cleanser and a great moisturizer are the best way to go.

I couldn't live without those.

Soap and Water only???? My skin would freak out...........get all dry. And often when we see someone that we think has bad skin, or looks old..........its flakiness, dullness etc due to dryness/loss of moisture.

Using a moisturize daily can:

hydrate the skin adding radiance
protect the skin from environmental factors/pollutants
protect the skin from skin damage with a spf
moisturize to prevent wrinkles and fine lines.

25-09-2006
fashion icon

^ Soap we mean not the usual soaps of course. Those would really kill my skin.
I've tried many kind of cleansers but so far this dove gentle soap is the best.

25-09-2006
fashion elite

^Oh I know..........I got that.

But I still think a moisturizer is pretty essential.

25-09-2006
trendsetter

I'm thinking that as to if your skin can handle simple soap has a lot to do with your skin type. Anyone with normal skin might be able to go without moisterizer, whereas a dry or even oily skined person might have trouble.

Adore You

Quote:
Loads of people are conditioned by advertisements and beauty magazines that only one way of skin care is the right way - loads of products. It simply isn't true. You can have beautiful skin with just soap and water, if that is what works for you. If your skin doesn't look and feel better after the products you use, take a step back, you are wasting your time and money on something that isn't effective! We weren't born to rely on stuff like this. As you get older, you may need to moisturise your skin but really, just washing your face with soap and water is perfectly fine!
i stopped using facial cleansers about 3 or 4 years ago. it has only gotten better ever since. i dont use skin makeup other than undereye concealer when i need it so i dont feel its necessary to use facial cleansers. i do like a good moisturizer in the winter, my fave is the Neutrogena one in the white bottle.

16-12-2006
fashion elite

I swear by natural honey and olive oil soaps. I use good old nivea on my face afterwards. Sometimes the simple things are the best things

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
soap, water