How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by acester
.Is it all worth it?
--------------
IT IS!
I started using sunscreen when i was about 15-16, I am 21 now, and it already shows, my skin looks much healthier than skin of most high school girls.
most women that go to tanning salon regularly - by the time they are in their 20's sun damage is already noticeable, although they are in denial and all, but you don't have to be a dermatologist to see it.
...oh yeah, not having to wear make-up is also nice,especially when you have to leave the house by 7-30 am )

Last edited by NATKA; 12-05-2005 at 03:37 AM.

12-05-2005
rising star

I started when I was almost 17.
I wouldn't say the soon the better, but it's not a bad thing to start taking these things seriously at an early age.

What's this whole deal about sunscreen?
Do you have to use during summers in a large city if you're not exposed to the sun?
Or is it only if you go to the beach etc?
Do you put it everywhere on your face?

12-05-2005
windowshopping

you don't have to be actively tanning in order to be exposed to sun. Truth is - you are exposed to some of it even on rainy days.
Definitely use it during the summer; dermatologists recommend no less than 30 spf for summer, and 15 spf for winter/or northern states.
Everywhere on your face, put a little on your ears, shoulders - everything that is going to be exposed. It may not sound too important to cover ears, but there are a lot of skin cancer lesions forming on the ears just because people are more likely to forget it.

12-05-2005
windowshopping

You probably should do well with SPF 15 in London (although last time i was there it was quite sunny ), but in Texas i use SPF 40 on my face and about 20 on the body.

12-05-2005
rising star

Thank you very much for your advice NATKA.

Do you put it after aftershave, scruffing lotions, etc…?
Which ones do you recommend?
Is SPF 21 enough in most cases?

12-05-2005
windowshopping

well, I'm a girl, so I don't realy have problem with facial hair and the upkeep
But you should put it on after all of the skincare.
I'd say SPF 21 should be enough; the reason why i am using SPF 40 is because most sunscreen lotions are too greasy for my face, and the only one i was able to find that didn't irritate me, was this new Clarins sunscreen lotion, and it is SPF 40.

12-05-2005
windowshopping

oh yeah, also look for zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in the ingredients; those are the physical (as opposed to chemical) sun protection, and it is usually more protective than the chemical kind.

12-05-2005
rising star

Thanks a zillion!!

I'll think there is already a sun screen thread somewhere in the skin and hair care section, in case you want to write more details there.

12-05-2005
yes

i know a lot of people in the world think very little of taking care of oneself but it is so important, i mean, you have to live in your body until the day that you die so why would you let it all fall apart and look old if you could help prevent that?
dont ever let anyone tell you that you are vain or waste money on beauty products

12-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

Heck, I'm 27, and for the most part I don't do anything more exotic than washing my face daily, but I do wear sunscreen every day. I have this new spray-on one which is not greasy, nor does it have a scent, and at 45spf, I guess it will do the trick. It's Banana Boat Sport.

I come from a family that has good skin (as far as not getting many wrinkles goes) and so my face will probably hold up pretty well, and I'm sure the sunblock isn't hurting matters any, either.

Now if I'd just stop getting pimples and blackheads all the time, I'd be a very happy person!

12-05-2005
windowshopping

Goeth 314, you are very welcome

12-05-2005
scenester

Starting early with sunscreen and a regular regime is very important but as said before don't over do it. It is too early for things like eye cream and any products with retinol or the like for aging. Those things over time will thin your young skin.

15-05-2005
backstage pass

I'm 21 and only just started using sunscreen SPF 35 (well used it as a kid, since I lived in Oz) but then I moved to Europe and as I got older I gave it up ...the thing is, I love it when I'm tanned (I just can't help it but I do)....but now I'm getting worried that if I don't start using sunscreen my face will go bad sooner than I will be able to deal with it. So tell me guys...in the summer, you don't mind not being nice and tanned ???

15-05-2005
rising star

Tanned doesn't always mean nice.
Find a balance between how "nice" you want to look and what is good for your skin.
Reduce the number of sun hours and increase the amount of sunscreen protection.
Something along these lines.

15-05-2005
backstage pass

I started wearing spf 15 when I was 15 when I moved to a sun-drenched country called Australia .. then I moved on to spf 25... and now I'm wearing spf 30!

I started wearing moisturiser when I was 14, cleansed and toned when I was waay younger (12 probably ) due to acne problems..
And I've been using masks/night cream/even eye gel ( a light non-greasy one) since I was 16! I don't use heavy eye gels/night creams that 'diminishes lines' or whatever.. I just use the light ones to prevent dehydration of the skin..

Gotta get used to drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruits..
I've been taking special care of my skin because it's s**t as it is now and I don't want wrinkles and sun damage on top of it all!

It's never too early to start! And sunscreen is the most important factor as more than 90% of wrinkles are associated with sun damage. Now.. my friends find me TOTALLY WEIRD and psycho when I talk about skincare.. well, it's their loss!
*sorry for the long post!*

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
starting, young