How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-09-2007
oh! darling

OBs just sound gross. Why would I want to stick my finger in that "bloody mess"?

06-09-2007
front row

I use Libra tampons. I like the all over cover on them. However I still find removing tampons to be uncomfortable. When I remove them it feels like my insides are being scratched.

And I absolutely hated Carefree tampons. The cotton seemed to be everywhere and make a mess. I can't stand Tampax. I think it's the shape they take when they're full. I find it uncomfortable.

A friend of my recently got one of those menstrual cups and she said it is the best thing she has ever done. I've been thinking of getting one to try myself. If it works out there would be the added benefit of never buying tampons again.

06-09-2007
front row

What are menstrual cups?

I think applicators are a cultural thing, I don't know anyone who uses them tbh

06-09-2007
fashion insider

I don't really see the problem with not using an applicator if you're at home..I mean if you're right next to the sink you just wash your hands after....TMI much? Haha..but applicators are handy if you're in a public toilet or something because it's not fair on other people to potentially get dirty fingers over doors and such...

I don't use them personally. But then again I only use tampons when absolutely necessary because I'm freaked out about toxic shock.

06-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
I don't really see the problem with not using an applicator if you're at home..I mean if you're right next to the sink you just wash your hands after....TMI much? Haha..but applicators are handy if you're in a public toilet or something because it's not fair on other people to potentially get dirty fingers over doors and such...

I don't use them personally. But then again I only use tampons when absolutely necessary because I'm freaked out about toxic shock.
I once had a tampon (Ob stuck in me for atwo weeks! I know, gross, but it's a girly thread, so I guess I can talk about it. It was one of those situation, when I was in a hurry in an airport and when I checked, I couldn't see a cord (it went it too far) and I just put a new one in! Nothing much happend, it didn't feel weird at all, and definetly could not feel it.

Imagine my suprise when I was in a shower and the tampon just popped out This was literally the grossest moment of my entire life It was like giving birth to an alien. I went to the doctor and he just shrugged, he said if something was wrong, I would already feel it big time My mother said it happend to her once too and she had to go to a gyn. to get it removed. I wonder if it does indeed happen frequently. It says on the pack tampons don't get stuck in your body, but that's obviously a lie!

Last edited by Yanka; 06-09-2007 at 06:27 AM.
06-09-2007
fashion insider

^ Omg I freak out about that all the time, once the cord came off a lil'lets tampon I was using and I couldn't feel it...but I kept thinking something wasn't right and eventually figured out the problem..but wow 2 weeks...you've just fuelled my nightmare ....that sucks!

06-09-2007
coffee&tv

Two weeks!?

And nothing happened!?

Deep Red Bells

Those "cups" are called Instead right?....
I am curious about those as well...
but what if it falls out?...
That would be a bloody mess!

07-09-2007
front row

There are a couple of different brands of cups. All are made from latex and there is another that is latex-free, which is good for those who have a latex allergy like I do.

The cups can't fall out, same as tampons can't fall out. A friend of the friend I mentioned is a gymnast and marathon runner and she's never had her cup fall out. And, apparently, there is NO leakage. That idea alone has me wanting to try them.

Plus there's a lower risk of TSS. And you can even use them if you don't have your period, like if it's one of those days where you're just having a lot of discharge and feel a bit icky, you can pop it in. Because it's not actually absorbing

The Keeper, The Moon Cup, Instead, The Diva Cup and Lunette are all different brands of menstrual cup.

Below is some information of menstrual cups, for those who are curious, as well as a LJ community that also has some great advice about inserting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups

07-09-2007
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priestess View Post
There are a couple of different brands of cups. All are made from latex and there is another that is latex-free, which is good for those who have a latex allergy like I do.

The cups can't fall out, same as tampons can't fall out. A friend of the friend I mentioned is a gymnast and marathon runner and she's never had her cup fall out. And, apparently, there is NO leakage. That idea alone has me wanting to try them.

Plus there's a lower risk of TSS. And you can even use them if you don't have your period, like if it's one of those days where you're just having a lot of discharge and feel a bit icky, you can pop it in. Because it's not actually absorbing

The Keeper, The Moon Cup, Instead, The Diva Cup and Lunette are all different brands of menstrual cup.

Below is some information of menstrual cups, for those who are curious, as well as a LJ community that also has some great advice about inserting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups

Thanks for the info! I'm sold!

~Madeleine Albright
07-09-2007
Deep Red Bells

^ I think I will be trying them as well....
I like that the risk of TSS is lower and there are no chemicals used in making them.

I know they can't fall out....
but can they go up you too high?

07-09-2007
once more, with feeling

my friend once forgot about her tampon and when the next month came, she thought she was pregnant. she was pretty embarrassed when the doctor told her she had a lost tampon instead.

in any case, the risk of tss from modern tampons is pretty small these days. the materials used now are less absorbent and thus less risky.

i like the idea of instead/keeper/cup for other reasons, though.

front row

am i the only one totally freaked out by the use of these "cups" ?? a wee container inside you collecting all the mess which you then have to pour away?!?!?

gross!!! applicator tampons all the way!!

07-09-2007
Deep Red Bells

^ I find pads much more gross actually...
you're basically sitting in that mess...

07-09-2007
front row

^ lol, thats true - pads are much more gross!! they're like nappies! *yuck*

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
tampons