How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-06-2008
tfs star

Ok my legs are sooooo pale. Normally I would just bang on the st tropez but..... I cut my legs shaving the other day so I have these scabs. If I tan will it go all dark brown/orange around them?

31-10-2008
windowshopping

Self-Tanning
I'm not one for melanoma, so I'm thinking about trying a self-tanner. I've got my eye on Kiehl's Self-Tan, because I love their other skin products. Does anyone have any comments about this one? Thanks!

From the website:
  • For all skin types
  • Non-oily, lightweight texture that is quick to dry
  • Formula spreads smoothly and evenly
  • Long-lasting natural tan develops in 1 hour
  • Leaves skin soft and supple
  • Not tested on animals
  • For Face and body
This lightweight, non-greasy self-tanning formula glides on easily for long-lasting, natural-looking color. Our unique lotion is instantly absorbed, leaving no streaking or splotchiness, as its tanning action begins to work within an hour of application. Made with Apricot Kernel Oil, Cocoa Seed Butter, and Vitamin E, the formula nurtures and moisturizes skin. As we regularly advise our patrons to limit sun exposure and thus avoid skin damage caused by harmful UV rays, our “sun-free” formula is ideal for providing the sought-after effects of tanning without the risk of sun damage, helping to preserve and protect the healthy appearance of skin. One hour after application, prior to any sun exposure, we recommend use of a sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher.

5 oz. - $22.50.

01-11-2008
little soul

Merged with an existing thread

fashion elite

I use a tanning bed sometimes but only in the fall/winter because it helps keep my skin clear.

06-12-2008
front row

^ yeah i find that the sun keeps my skin clear too. I dont use sunbeds though, but I find that in winter when i'm not regularly in the sun that i get acne.
It also helps with the chicken skin on my arms... And it just makes you look all healthy and happy and everyone looks good with a nice glow!
Self-tanners never work for me, they always go streaky. Even the expensive ones!

07-12-2008
backstage pass

i am somehow addicted to tanning. i spend all summer on the sun. somewhere on the beach. literally all summer. during winters i use sunbed. twice per month. everybody says that it is unhealthy. it will ruin my skin. etc. etc. but. i am such a weirdo when it comes to everything.. that actually the sun and sunbeds help me to fight little acne and cellulite even. i feel much more happy and generally, i am a blonde with a little darker skin naturally, so i see no wrongs in using a bit tan from time to time.

it really helps me. and i have no wrinkles. like people doom all the time.

i quess it depends on people.

07-12-2008
scenester

I'm starting to get really annoyed with being pale, but then i'm worried about tanning. After asking various females opinions it seems that fake tan for a guy is just a no-no. I can't use a sunbed because i'll damage my skin and I don't get enough time to go abroad. I don't know what to do

windowshopping

I'm already naturally tan but I use a self tanner because sometimes I feel like my legs get a little bit lighter, probably due to the lack of sun here... I haven't used one that is messy yet so I hope I'm doing it right by spreading evenly, I really loved it though! Gives me a nice glow tan without those sparkles/shimmers in them that make you look orange .

13-12-2008
xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteta View Post
I'm starting to get really annoyed with being pale, but then i'm worried about tanning. After asking various females opinions it seems that fake tan for a guy is just a no-no. I can't use a sunbed because i'll damage my skin and I don't get enough time to go abroad. I don't know what to do
i think you should go thru some of the threads on tanning, this one & others ive seen some other guys post about their favorite products. definitely do your own research & read your reviews because you might be looking for a different degree of tan.

i think both guys and girls look perfectly fine pale. but its really your personal decision whether you choose to get a fake tan. if you get a real one it must be very gradual and try not to burn...which is my dilemma im super fair and burn easily so pretty much i get out when i feel im getting too much. i have never been considered 'tan' because i dont get that dark. i dont tan easily...but i have really given up on the fake tanning. its a lot of work and up keep and if your not perfect it can be pretty noticeable . same here i dont have enough time to stay out all day everyday to tan, i dont have that much free time! plus its winter here in California! its not necessary to look tan, ive been embracing the pale and just making sure my hair, makeup, & clothes<-this you can do... compliment my skin.

p.s. although i say a guy should be able to do whatever they want 'cosmetically' they can fakebake just like the girls. im not against it but i would prefer a guy to not do it. nothing wrong with pale males.

Last edited by kissablekae; 13-12-2008 at 03:14 PM.
15-12-2008
front row

I think fake tans never work - you always end up looking a tad darker then you're supposed or end up with sneaky tell tale signs of fakies.
Thankfully I'm blessed to live in a country with great sun: a week at the beach does wonders!

04-02-2009
V.I.P.

I'm the biggest hypocrite to say this but I want to go lay in a tanning bed lately, because it does help depression, I've been a bit down, and I would probably cover my face half the time but I'm so pale and I want some color and also want to feel better. I exercise a lot, every day, and so tanning I think in combination with that could help me.

04-02-2009
little soul

^

Maybe you should treat yourself to a massage or treatment so your skin is really glowing and do spray tan instead? You could also look into lamps which are meant to cheer people up in the dark days of winter...feel better soon my dear!

V.I.P.

does spray tanning actually work? i've been looking into it but i am so afraid to leave looking like pumpkin pie.

11-02-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThemEatCake View Post
I'm the biggest hypocrite to say this but I want to go lay in a tanning bed lately, because it does help depression, I've been a bit down, and I would probably cover my face half the time but I'm so pale and I want some color and also want to feel better. I exercise a lot, every day, and so tanning I think in combination with that could help me.
Wow I feel exactly the same. I'm having the worst case of seasonal affective disorder, I'm so depressed lately.

12-02-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_batter View Post
does spray tanning actually work? i've been looking into it but i am so afraid to leave looking like pumpkin pie.
That's what scares me too. Have you seen that episode of 'Friends' where Ross accidently gets sprayed 4 times? That's put me off some what! If you do try it though let me know

I've been using one of those self-tanning body lotions and it has worked to my surprise

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
tanning