How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2006
windowshopping

Tennis anyone?
I play tennis for my high school team and I play in leagues at a racquet club. Are any of you really into tennis? How has playing tennis changed your body?(i.e. stronger arms, more endurance, etc.)

27-02-2006
crossed wires.

I used to love tennis...and play it quite alot when I was young (just randomly at the local tennis courts with friends etc or even in the street...nothing too serious) I can't remember if it changed my body at all because I was young and didn't take notice of such things...I just played because I enjoyed it. I can imagine it's quite good for overall fitness though...if you think about staying on your toes quite alot...and moving rapidly must be good for your upper and lower legs...and obviously the actual 'hitting' in tennis will be good for toning your arms, chest area and stomach. I'm sure you're onto a good one there...and if you enjoy it and it doesn't feel like a chore then all the better

random sidenote: I've always found tennis much more 'satisfying' than something like badminton because I really feel like I can belt the tennis ball with the raquet...must have been quite good for agression

windowshopping

tennis makes my arms more muscular, and i'm trying to do more pilates and running on a treadmill to get endurance and strength

01-03-2006
fashion icon

more endurance a stronger arms

°vamos Rafa!

one of my best friends plays tennis, and maybe it's just him but he has his right wrist a bit thicker than his left because of it (he holds the raquet with his right hand) although he isists it's because he does tennis it might be because of something else i don't know..

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by stersita
one of my best friends plays tennis, and maybe it's just him but he has his right wrist a bit thicker than his left because of it (he holds the raquet with his right hand) although he isists it's because he does tennis it might be because of something else i don't know..

haha, no, all tennis players have the arm they play with bigger than their other arm (more muscle overall).

02-03-2006
In Bloom

Tennis is bad for your wrists and elbows.

we were in love

02-03-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ I never had a problem in those areas, and I played in high school.

Went to State my senior year for Doubles.

Tennis is great...love the sport...miss playing it. Seems like when I do anymore, it's usually with friends, and they... well, aren't really up to par in the sport.

My legs really got into fantastic shape, as did my shoulders. Since you pivet and move in so many directions, your whole body basically gets toned.

02-03-2006
front row

I've been playing tennis for almost as long as I can remember. I think I started really when I was around 8, and I love it, but it has done negative things to my body as well as positive. I played it pretty much year round until this year, my first year in college... I don't think I've touched a raquet since June, which kind of breaks my heart in a way, but I know I'll still do it on a daily basis my entire life. That's just the kind of sport is is.

I was varsity/captain in high school and it was pretty intense competition, but I never got too competitive. I always just played for fun--I didn't really make it my life, however, it has always been a big part of my life. I was recruited to play Div III in college, but chose not to because I really just want to focus on my studies and live my life while I'm young, and I think tennis would just get in the way of that.

Obviously, it improves hand-eye coordination, endurance and agility, but I still can't run long distances without getting winded. I can go in sprints for hours and hours, but that's because, well, that's how tennis works. I also attribute that to smoking regularly for the past two years, but my game hasn't gone --that-- downhill--in many ways I did improve, I'm just not improving at the same rate if I hadn't picked up smoking... oh well. I suppose it also did tone my body, especially my arms, and to some extent my legs, but I think in order to get really great you have to do A LOT of muscle/weight training, which I did on occasion, but never with the intensity I should have, had I wanted to compete nationally... it's always just been fun for me, and I can't wait until it gets warmer out so I can play again.

The negatives, though, I got bad tendonitis in my wrists/hands my junior year in high school and almost had to have steroid injections, but I just stopped playing with such intensity and it has gone away; I still get a lot of soreness and have some joint problems, though. I've never had tennis elbow, but that will probably happen when I get older...

Last edited by in the miso soup; 02-03-2006 at 06:04 PM.
03-03-2006
°vamos Rafa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenwa
haha, no, all tennis players have the arm they play with bigger than their other arm (more muscle overall).
ok thanks for clearing that up for me, I was worried for him

windowshopping

I love tennis....It tricks me into running. I hate the tedium of jogging, and tennis gives me a similar workout without the boredom.

26-04-2006
rising star

I play tennis togehter with my big brother in my spare time. It's nice to sweat sometimes and excerise too.

03-07-2006
fashion elite

I am starting this wednesday 2 hours!

front row

I am starting this thursday and I'm really happy about it.

03-07-2006
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida
Tennis is bad for your wrists and elbows.
Living is bad for you, it's the main cause of death. But unless you play at a pro level, I don't think tennis is anymore damaging than other sports...

I don't really like tennis, my serve is unbreakable but the actual game part is too much like hard work, unlike badminton, which is effortless.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
tennis