How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-03-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Great advice! Time spent on tFS or in front of the TV could be used exercising our minds and filling it with useful information found in books.

You can never be knowledgeable enough! You're 100% right, mlsnts!
I know! I spend so much time in front of the computer browsing the net..... When I could have been reading, or cleaning, studying, painting, or doing SOMETHING useful.. you know? Thanks for the K

p.s I was addicted to E News when I had cable. Thank god I don't have cable anymore or I would have spent every hour of my waking life in front of the tv

01-03-2008
fashion elite

dont waste ur life complaining about wat you would have done differently.

05-03-2008
windowshopping

Wear your seatbelt. Don't drive dangerously, and chill out while driving (keeps your blood pressure low lol). And don't wear claw clips while driving (don't want pieces of one of those stuck in your head if you get in an accident).

Don't spend money you don't have - or too much, anyway. Keep your finances in order (comes back to the blood pressure thing, and might help with your relationships too).

Keep learning and getting educated, even if it's just taking an evening class or reading a book. Keep pursuing hobbies.

And I don't care what you think you're getting from your food, you're not getting as much as you think you are. Take a multi, and take a good quality one or don't take one at all. None of that centrum stuff. :p

Get a cat or dog. They're better than crack and healthier for you too. And cuter. They'll always be there for you when your SO or friends split on you.
But take good care of them, or karma will come back and bite you in the butt.

And have fun!

06-03-2008
the crying of humanity

Great tips, oulala, and I wholeheartedly second the bit about wearing your seatbelt. It's such an obvious thing to do, yet I often see people who don't. I've been in a rollover accident, and trust me, I was pretty grateful for that seatbelt I was wearing.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchieLaChat View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of ’99
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be
it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by
scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
than my own meandering
experience…I will dispense this advice now. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not
understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.
But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself and
recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before
you and how fabulous you really looked….You’re not as fat as you
imagine. Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday. Do one thing everyday that scares you Sing Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, don’t put up with
people who are reckless with yours. Floss Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes
you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with
yourself. Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you
succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements. Stretch Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t. Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone. Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll have children,maybe
you won’t, maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the funky
chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary…what ever you do, don’t
congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your
choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body,
use it every way you can…don’t be afraid of it, or what other people
think of it, it’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever
own.. Dance…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room. Read the directions, even if you don’t follow them. Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly. Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for
good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the
people most likely to stick with you in the future. Understand that friends come and go,but for the precious few you
should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and
lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you
knew when you were young. Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live
in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel. Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders. Respect your elders. Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund,
maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one
might run out. Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time you're 40, it will
look 85. Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than
it’s worth. But trust me on the sunscreen…
I love this song, even now it makes so much more sense than when it first cam out (to me I mean). Who was it by again??

15-03-2008
windowshopping

I want to exclamate what Erin said. SAVE. INVEST. If you start with $250.00, open investments, and put in as much as you want each month (10, 20, 50, 100 dollars), you will be SET when you're ready to retire. Obviously go to someone who knows what their doing since investing is tricky for most people. But MY GOSH, I can't stress that enough!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 21 years-old and I plan on asking for $250.00 for my birthday to invest. Save your Christmas money, birthday money, holiday money, etc. AND INVEST IT!!!!!! IF YOU LISTEN TO ANYTHING ON THIS THREAD, THIS IS IT!!! With the way social security is going these days, by the time you make it to that point you will hardly see any of it. It is NECESSARY to have a back-up. And start as young as you possibly can. I've been told this for so many years now and I think now, at 21, all of the years of interest I have lost on my potential investment. Alright, this one is getting long but it IS SO IMPORTANT.

Take calcium supplements

Take a multi-vitamin, EVERYDAY (I use Centrum-Performance!)

Make water your main drink. I don't drink anything but water and a cup of coffee in the morning.

Hear as many experiences as you can, I am an avid believer that other people's experiences are invaluable, but take it for what it is. Experience everything for yourself. It's your life, LIVE IT!

Vote. I know this seems silly and probably hits a chord with many, but you really do have a choice and a voice (didn't mean to rhyme, lol), and it's SO SIMPLE to express it. But don't vote until you are educated on each candidates policies and what they do/don't support. If you're voting for Obama (or Clinton, or McCain) because you heard about one of his policies from a celebrity, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and NOT VOTE.

I said this in my last post, but I want to say it again. Take your time to figure out what you want to do with your life. Most kids, at 18, don't know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, and no one expects them to. I started college at 18 and was majoring in business-marketing. After two semesters off and changing my major 4 times, I think I've finally found something I'm interested in and good at. I'm 21 and majoring in Biology in hopes of going to medical school or PA school. Business to Biology? As you can see, I didn't have a clue as to what I wanted to do, but I sure thought I did!

If you're too lazy to lotion your body after a shower, get the main areas that age the fastest: knees, chest, neck.

Ahh...I have so much to share! I'll be back!!

~Jennie

16-03-2008
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Jennie - great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladolcevita047 View Post
I want to exclamate what Erin said. SAVE. INVEST.
I feel that many people do not feel the pressure of saving. Anymore, so many people live beyond their means. Believe me, I've been there and done that. When I didn't have a job I ate out ALL the time. Now THAT'S defecit spending. I had a crappy job in Chicago after that and my credit card debt just racked up. Then I moved and got a better job and BUCKLED down. I worked my way out of $9,000 of credit card debt and now have a savings of $9,000 (between mutual funds, 401k, and actual "savings") in the span of about 1 and 1/4 years. You can do it - you just have to be dedicated, and that means holding off on the shopping for a while. I think that's one of the first things I would ever recommend - is paying off your credit cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladolcevita047 View Post
Hear as many experiences as you can, I am an avid believer that other people's experiences are invaluable, but take it for what it is. Experience everything for yourself. It's your life, LIVE IT!
I really love this piece. Get out and LIVE! We're all here for such a small amount of time. Find your passions, discover what you love - and ENRICH your life. It's as simple as that.

16-03-2008
front row

Id say having a cant do attitude, it will set you up for disaster as well as not trying something once!

Saving money is important but i think investing is key, try to buy your own place when u can rather than renting your whole life! trust me it will become a vicious cycle i know its a silly example but life is like monopoly the game, the winner is usually the person who gets all the rent!

in terms of health, dont smoke!, i know its obvious i myself am not addicted to smoking i dont even buy ciggarettes but id have one every other week socially avoid this!!, smoking really ages people, so does binge drinking etc. Avoid unhealthy relationships of all types people who are abusive, that cling and that narrow your ambition!

16-03-2008
front row

The safety advice list laurette posted was debunked on snopes.com. They offer an alternative set of advice here: http://snopes.com/crime/prevent/ninetips.asp

16-03-2008
fashion elite

I'd have to say don't be afraid to change your mind with what you want to do in life because when you find what you really want to do everything becomes easier and happier.

Don't get a credit card!!!

Don't walk away from friends who are special to you just because you have a fight or don't get along, even after a few years you can heal the gap. Having said that don't be afraid to walk away from friends that use you.

Keep in touch with your family they are important.

Money isn't the key to being happy, you can become happy by just changing the way you look at life.

tfs star

I would say getting a credit card and using it responsibly is a better idea than not getting one at all. Having built up good credit can be very useful.

17-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstarshine View Post
Money isn't the key to being happy, you can become happy by just changing the way you look at life.
Amen. Too many people are stuck in that mindset.

rising star

Get life insurance, with a good agent, that can make you money. The younger you are, the cheaper and easier you can get life insurance. Smokers pay twice as much as non-smokers, and you have to be smoke free for a year to get a non smokers rate. If you get an investment type life insurance (i dont remember the technical term) then later you can borrow from your policy at 1% interest. You can use that for a house, kids college expenses, or even to live off of in case of emergencies.. Seriously, look into it.

18-03-2008
The mod squad

Be kind to your parents

jedinečnej krásy

^yes. as you get older, you don't realize how important and how much of an impact this will have on you.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
avoid, life, person, problems, things, thread