How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianochka View Post
Save for retirement.
Very true. I started my pension at 16

15-01-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_L View Post
Wear a bra all the time, and it totally stops the breasts from sagging! Even wear it to bed!
If that's what you want to do .. go for it, but wear a bra without a wire underneath the cups because the wire is NOT good for you!

16-01-2010
fashion icon

oh this is easy, save your money, finish school, use protection.

17-01-2010
tfs star

Ok, I actually can't believe that that last one hasn't come up yet. Great addition.

18-01-2010
fashion elite

Get your pap smears,mammograms,take your vitamins,don't smoke,exercise especially weight bearing will save you from osteoporosis later in life,use condoms,get tested for HIV and HPV,lots of vegetables in your diet,sleep at least 8 hours,try to control your stress...and have a healthy social life.Studies show that those with a healthy social life live longer!

02-02-2010
rising star

Health wise, i would say the most important thing is to eat A LOT of fresh fruit and vegetables, raw if possible and avoid meat or eat it occasionally. If you put dead flesh into your body, it creates problems. It is a fact that red meat causes bowel cancer over time.
My Iranian grandfather basically LIVES on raw fruit and veg and pulses and he is in his 80s and he looks AMAZING. His skin is glowing and hardly wrinkled, and i kid you not that when i was 10 and he was in his 70s, we went mountain walking and he was ahead of me, my dad and my two older brothers. He doesn't ever tire out! He drinks lots of tea, fruit juices, no sugars, he doesn't like mushrooms either, he calls them funghi and says they're bad lol... Basically he thinks nature knows best and that whenever humans mess with anything (processed foods), it harms you. He is definitely my health idol!

02-02-2010
fashion elite

Wow I wish I had a grandfather like that! I can't do raw because of low blood sugar and low blood pressure, but lots of fruits and leafy greens are so important.Also things with a lot of color,like yams.In the morning I always have a glass of water with lemon first clean to clean the system.Sometimes with honey too.

10-02-2010
scenester

this thread is a god-send

11-02-2010
backstage pass

Eat more protein, we have way too many "convenient" foods available to us these days. Protein fills you for longer!

Wear sunscreen!
My Dad, who is 67, has just had his 6th skin cancer cut from his face. He has spent his whole life outdoors working and never had the education we have about looking after our skin. He is now paying the price.

backstage pass

Health:
Wear sunscreen, absolutely agreed.

Eat good amounts of fiber to clean your colon. Replace white bread with wheat bread, whole grain pasta, fruit ... just generally balance your food groups & eat fast food sparingly.

Drink water when you can & resist temptation to buy sodas and high sugar drinks. I haven't had dark soda in a couple of years & I have no urge to get any. Sports drinks like Gatorade & Propel are fantastic (& for those looking to lessen caloric intake, Propel is only 10 cals/bottle!)

Well-being:
Train yourself to keep a smile on your face even when things are down. I've practiced doing this for awhile now & it really keeps my optimism up. Remember: smiling is a form of charity.

Find your own optimal way to relieve stress physically whether it be by yoga, running .. whatever floats your boat. Me, I love doing cardio & weights as a stress reliever. I'm beginning to pursue boxing & rock climbing as other intense relievers.

Prioritize & keep a physical/electronic schedule for your day.

I'd love to post more when I think of any

Last edited by sarehak; 11-02-2010 at 08:46 PM.
12-02-2010
trendsetter

you need to really think twice before moving on to post-secondary education, think about is that what you really want to before entering a faculty.

front row

Take care of your teeth

It was in the news a while ago that a young girl lost her teeth because she didnt take care of her teeth properly, and didn't bother to see a dentist.

21-02-2010

^ Also, look after your gums by brushing them, flossing and using mouthwash at least twice a day. I really cannot stress this enough. Gum disease is pretty common and leads to teeth falling out, so there's no point in having sparkling white teeth if your gums are terrible.

front row

Beauty wise~
Sunscreen is a must. Other than that, try to drink lots of water and pomegranate. Well, water is obvious but why pomegranate, you ask? My grandmother who is well over 60 and settling in her 70s, has the most amazing skin without a single wrinkle insight. I'm not even joking. Her skin is so smooth and even. It's very youthful, just like a newborn baby's skin. She drinks 1 liter of fresh pomegranate juice everyday and does a daily ritual of facial mask every night before she goes to sleep. Oh yeah, remember to moisturise your neck and knees. You won't want to fall into the category of turkey necks and saggy knees, would you?

25-02-2010
rising star

Invest in a high-quality electronic toothbrush like Sonicare. It doesn't eliminate the need to floss, but it helps keep your gums healthy. Not to mention it removes a little more plaque!

Seconding all comments made about saving your money. I was just fantasizing about buying all the fun things in the Liberty for Target thread when I realized, "I don't really need a floral-pattern watering can." What I do need is a good chunk of savings, retirement, a down payment for a beautiful home, and money for any future kids. :p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
avoid, life, person, problems, things, thread