How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2007
rising star

thoughts on facial symmetry theory
http://www.beautyanalysis.com/index2_mba.htm

What does everyone think of this? I'm still confused over how this facial mask theory works. Has anyone tried to use it on their own pictures to see if they fit it?

29-12-2007
tfs star

I once read the Claudia Schiffer has the perfect face symmetry.
I can think of 1000 women I find more beautiful...
It's the "character" in the face... like a big nose (Eugenia) or crooked lip (Stegner) that I find really interesting! Julia S. is really,really beautiful in my eyes... and her face is far from symmetrical.

source.

29-12-2007
backstage pass

I think don't believe it because there are millions of people who find Adriana Lima, Ana Beatriz Barros and Alessandra Ambrosio to be the most beautiful women in the world and yet, if you inspect their faces, they are very asymmetrical.

Apparently a bunch of scientists found that, even though the most symmetrical face may be found to be the most attractive, it was also found to be the most common-looking. Since that 'commonness' can cancel out the attractiveness for many people, I don't think perfect symmetry is all that important. Maybe a degree of symmetry is important, but not perfect symmetry. After all, not many people would be attracted to a person with one eye an inch lower than the other.

Last edited by Eurasian Mélange; 29-12-2007 at 11:28 AM.
29-12-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange View Post
Since that 'commonness' can cancel out the attractiveness for many people, I don't think perfect symmetry is all that important. Maybe a degree of symmetry is important, but not perfect symmetry.
exactly.

30-12-2007
rising star

love the comments, keep them coming!

has anyone actually tried this facial mask though? im still really intrigued to see if the theory behind it is actually based on good science, rather than quackery.

30-12-2007
rising star

what i find interesting is that that site says most models are symmetrical, and that's why their models. isn't that a bunch of nonsense? i also notice that the most incredibly successful models are very asymmetric, and don't have the so-called "most attractive features for a female" which are: small nose, big eyes, small full lips.
gisele and kurkova are two examples that oppose that! and good for them for doing that.

30-12-2007
tfs star

^I don't think the entire theory can be debunked. If you look at fake models, dolls, they usually do have small noses, big eyes, and small full lips. IMO they don't translate well into real life...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
facial, symmetry, theory, thoughts