How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2007
trendsetter

acne, how to cover it like a pro
Here is how I have learned over the years to cover acne and make it look perfect.

Start off with a good, oil free foundation that has medium to full coverage. DO NOT CAKE IT ON. DO NOT CAKE IT ON. DO NOT CAKE IT ON. I say this three times because many people layer on the foundation in an attempt to cover everything. That is not foundation's job. Foundation's job is to make your skin look somewhat smoother and even the tone, not conceal every blemish.

Next, use a stick concealer that matches your skin tone on imperfections. Apply with your fingers, not by rubbing the stick directly on your face. This puts too much concealer on your skin to blend in well whereas applying it to your finger and then tou your face puts on the right amount. Pat, DO NOT RUB, the concealer in. I reccommend green conealer only for very large spots, as it is harder to blend into a smaller blemish. All in all, flesh tone does work better than color correcting shades, like green. You can apply up to three VERY LIGHT layers of concealer to get the coverage you need. Don't panic if you can't get it covered, we will take care of that in the next two steps.

Next, poof your face liberally with loose powder, preferably translucent. Let it sit for 5 minutes. This is a good tip I heard awhile back and it really does help. It lets your foundation/concealer absorb the powder. After a few minutes, brush off the excess with a large, fluffy brush and DO IT GENTLY. Don't brush so hard you mess up your foundation/concealer.

Next, apply liquid concealer OVER your powder on blemishes that are still poking through. I know it sounds odd, but using concealer over powder does really work. Just be sure to use a little and use liquid. It can be hard to blend in over the powder, so use just a smidge. Set with powder on the spots that your have touched up according to the last step, and voila! you have lovely skin.

Touch up with pressed powder during the day if you get shiny and your look can last and last.

Now, tools. Sponges or brushes work best for foundation. Just remember that foundation brushes do not soak up any makeup like sponges do, so you can use less foundaiton that way. Saves money! And concealer works best if applied with fingers or a concealer brush. Powder, poof it on, then brush it off. Also, pressed powder puffs/pads can get cakey from touch ups throughout that day. I find it helps to rub the puff/pad on a tissue to remove build up after application.

Last edited by modelbehavior228; 09-01-2007 at 11:03 AM.

09-01-2007
scenester

Great advice! Thanks

09-01-2007
front row

I give up on trying to cover up large puffy pimples. I'd rather look like I have a pimple than a huge anomalous lump on my face. I'm also generally too lazy to really whip it all out.

When I do though, I've always put liquid over powder too. It does work, but every now and then I see a professional (ie. Sonia Kashuk) claiming it does not.

09-01-2007
trendsetter

oh yeah, like the professionals know what they are talking about, lol

trendsetter

Thats why they are the professionals.

10-01-2007
V.I.P.

I don't think you should use a huge amount of make-up especially when you have acne. It is ok for a photo session etc, but for every day use I'd say it does not do any good for your skin.

trendsetter

Two words.

Mineral Makeup

A champagne supernova in the sky
10-01-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
I don't think you should use a huge amount of make-up especially when you have acne. It is ok for a photo session etc, but for every day use I'd say it does not do any good for your skin.
actually, I have noticed that when I wear makeup, that my face looks better at night. Less red. Like the makeup protects it form the enviroment or something.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky_da_da_da
Two words.

Mineral Makeup
I HATE mineral makeup. I don't want to get into it, but all I want to say is I HATE it.

elementary.

go on . . i want to hear why?

front row

Though this isn't the mineral make-up thread, I hate love and hate for it. I've tried everyday minerals, and I like it because it doesn't make me break out. I dislike it simply because it's powder. Liquid is so much better to work with in my opinion. With powder I feel so dull, and it's hard to highlight with it and look natural.

When it comes to covering acne scars with it, I found it surprisingly good. I used the intensive forumula on them, and it covered like concealer.

11-01-2007
trendsetter

I hate it cause no matter what brand, no matter how I apply, it looks "weird" on me.

Now, let's return to talkigna bout zits and makeup, shall we?

trendsetter

Oh! Here are some recommended produst from me, the drugstore makeup queen

Foundation-Revlon Colorstay/colorstay active light, Max Factor Panstik/pancake

Concealer-maybelline coverstick, revlon colorstay/new complexion

Powder-neutrogena/maybelline. Loose from CG is fine, but their pressed stink

Last edited by modelbehavior228; 13-01-2007 at 08:07 AM.
16-01-2007
V.I.P.

Everyone with acne - acne scars must try this out:

ALMAY SKIN CLEARING CONCEALER. Comes in 3 shades. Contains medecine for acne prone skin, WON'T CLOG pores or make you break out. Don't count on it to clear acne, but do count on it to visibly correct acne / acne scars without messing up your skin.

Covers up PERFECTLY all imperfections as it is a very rich formula that is quite thick, but when blended, smoothes out skin and looks REALLY NATURAL. No need to cover skin with foundation or powder, this does the trick by itself, simply put it on areas you need to.

I swear I put this on, and no one notices I am wearing something. But when I don't, they do notice a difference..... Shhhhhh :p

17-01-2007
rising star

Alrighty Love. Im a guy, so! leme let yah in on a secret. Right now im in love with Nars (lipstick like) concealor, and /or Alisson Raffaele Concealor (all from sephora) afterwards, LIGHTLY dusted with loose powder, cause my face is oily enough to start another war upon....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
acne, covering, scars, tips, tricks