How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2010
V.I.P.

^ See! I'm glad you like the book though, I think it's great at describing veganism.

03-08-2010
oh! darling

This page on the Chipotle site is fantastic: http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/s...formation.aspx

More restaurants should move in this direction.

V.I.P.

I just made this last night for dinner and everyone loved it. I admit I snuck a piece of the tofu "meat" when no one was looking and it was delicious. I served it with a side of Summer Corn Succotash from Whole Living.

Tofu Veggie Meatloaf - 130 Cals Per Serving! Recipe

Makes 6 servings
Light, delicious, and filling meal. Under 300 calories.

Ingredients
For meatloaf: 14 oz extra firm tofu 1/2 chopped onion 1/4 cup cooked brown rice 1/2 cup bran cereal 1 chopped celery stalk 1/2 diced green pepper 1/4 cup chopped mushroom 1 chopped medium carrot 1/16 tsp sage, cumin, nutmeg, garlic powder, black pepper, basil 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/8 cup ketchup 1 tbsp dijon mustard
For topping sauce: 1 tbsp mustard 1 tbsp ketchup 3 tbsp Apple Cidar Vinegar 2 tsp Splenda Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and PAM a bread pan or small lasagne pan.
  2. In a sauce pan, cook the tofu (pre-drained and squeezed). I added browning sauce, soy sauce, and spices, but it's optional. It ends up looking (and smelling!) like ground beef.
  3. Mix the cooked tofu all of the goodies together and press into prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown on the top.
  5. Heat the sauce ingredients on the stove, pour on top of loaf, and let it cook another couple minutes.
  6. Slice and serve warm!
Corn, Fava Bean, and tomato Summer Succotash

Ingredients

Serves 4
  • 1 cup fresh fava beans (from about 20 pods)
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced white onion
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
Directions
  1. Blanch the fava beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well. When the beans are cool enough to handle, remove their skins. Set the beans aside.
  2. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent but not brown, about 5 minutes.
  3. Raise the heat to medium and add the cucumber. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until the cucumber is tender, about 6 minutes. If the onion begins to brown, add a tablespoon or two of water and continue cooking.
  4. Add the corn and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the fava beans and bell pepper. Season and cook 2 minutes more, until tender. Stir in the tarragon and serve.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Corn, Fava Bean, and Cucumber Succotash

oh! darling

I am very jealous of how many recipes you've got, Ashcottmanor! :p

Does anyone know of a soy-free, wheat-free faux meat alternative? Tofurky is made with wheat and soy, and tofu is soy. Thank you in advance.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post

Why thank you Papa! I try.... I love to cook and am trying to come up with my own vegan, gluten-free desserts. I'm thinking of opening a bakery. We'll see...If my taste testers like anything!

Does anyone know of a soy-free, wheat-free faux meat alternative? Tofurky is made with wheat and soy, and tofu is soy. Thank you in advance.
Sorry no Also I know of is Tofu, Tempeh, and Seitan.

But have you tried Quinoa products? I believe that is soy and wheat/gluten free!!

Last edited by Ashcottmanor; 03-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
03-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Thank you Papa....I try I like cooking and testing out new recipes. I'm actually trying to come up with my own vegan/gluten free desserts right now. I came up with a chocolate cupcake that my taste testers love so I think I'll keep it! I'm toying with the idea of opening my own bakery at some point too. Who knows! My great grandfather had his own bakery back in the early 1900's so it might just be in my blood.

oh! darling

Quote:
But have you tried Quinoa products? I believe that is soy and wheat/gluten free!!
Great idea. Will do! Thanky. I have only seen it in seed form, so I don't know if I can get it in a paste or powder, etc.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliana View Post
^ given the fact that a pavlova consists nearly only of eggwhite and cream this might be difficult. I have no idea how to reproduce meringue in a vegan way that would come anything close to the original, sorry. I just think some things cannot be copied into vegan, I also think that soy cream cheese doesn't deserve the name, it is nice and you can do nice things with it, so why try to compare it with cream cheese.
Well I don't know how this tastes..but I just saw a lady on Marthastewart.com making a vegan crumb cake and for the sour cream she used coconut milk or rice milk yogurt with vinegar.

I've never tried this but it might be better than a regular sour cream substitute.

oh! darling

I was surprised to stumble upon this: http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2009...free-diet.html

I was looking for a gluten-free, soy-free meat alternative, and instead found this. I don't know if I would cut out sugar, but I would limit it extensively.

I read on a LJ community that there are mushroom-based fake meats. YUMMY. Or Bahama Rice Burgers. Anyone heard of those? I may have to search more into communities online/forums for vegans.

V.I.P.

Just tried this recipe last night and I love it!

Red Cabbage and Peas with Cumin and Mustard Seeds
(printer-friendly version)
1/2 large head red cabbage (about 6 cups shredded)
canola oil spray
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional–or use 1 tsp. minced garlic)
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
1/8 teaspoon red pepper (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon water
quick squeeze of lemon juice
Core the cabbage and slice it very thin. Heat a deep skillet or wok. Once it’s hot, spray it lightly with canola oil and sprinkle the cumin and mustard seeds across its surface. Toast them for about 1 minute and add the asafetida. Add the peas and stir well, scraping the spices up from the bottom. Add the cabbage and sprinkle it with the red pepper and salt and stir well. Add 1 tablespoon of water and quickly cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. It’s done when the cabbage is to the tenderness you like. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top, stir, and serve.
Makes 3-4 servings. Per serving: 50 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium; 3g Fiber. Weight Watchers 1 Point.

FatFreeVegan

front row

I don't even really like cabbage, but that looks so delicious I just might have to try it.

oh! darling

Ashcottmanor do you find it difficult to find certain ingredients that you need to make many of your vegan dishes?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Ashcottmanor do you find it difficult to find certain ingredients that you need to make many of your vegan dishes?
For baking, yes. But Mostly everything I need I can find at Whole Foods. The problem is just that it costs a lot. That's all.

As for cooking, it's not a problem at all unless the recipes are really exotic. Like in Alicia Silverstone's book she loves using Kobucha squash, in soups, pastas, side dishes etc. but I can never find the darn thing, even at Whole Foods. I think it's a seasonal gord too so it makes sense that I wouldn't be able to find it. :pSome spices I am not used to using either are a little bit of a bother but not too much.

Also what I have found a little difficult is things in her book are called by different names. Like she calls "soy sauce" "shoyu" and I get confused sometimes....but other than that it's pretty easy for me.

The only complaint I have about Whole Foods is that their Tofu, Tempeh and other meatless products section is so tiny! It's like literally three small refrigerated shelves!! I'm sure they have some more meat alternatives in the freezer section...but as for getting it unprocessed, the section is so small.

V.I.P.

I want to make this soooo badbut I'm afraid I won't be able to stop eating it.

Chocolate-Blueberry Cake

(printer-friendly version)
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (white whole wheat preferred)
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground chia seeds or flax seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup blueberries
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup date syrup, maple syrup, or other liquid sweetener
1 cup blueberries (for serving)
additional syrup or agave nectar to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, chia (or flax) and salt. In blender, combine water, 1/2 cup blueberries, and balsamic vinegar and blend until smooth.
Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the syrup and the blueberry mixture. Stir until completely mixed. Pour into an oiled 9-inch round cake pan.
Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before inverting onto serving platter.
Serve with blueberries on top, drizzled with additional syrup or agave. (I recommend agave for drizzling.)
Servings: 8
Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 144 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1.2g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 217.1mg sodium, 204mg potassium, 33.6g carbohydrates, 4.4g fiber, 14.9g sugar, 3.6g protein, 2.2 points.

FatFreeVegan

oh! darling

Ashcottmanor (I feel like I'm always calling you out in the thread, hee heeeee)

Are you only a vegan or are there other dietary things you've cut out?

I am gluten-free and recently decided to become soy-free and nut-free. (Don't ask.) Other things such a preservatives and sugar I don't really care for because I'm practically eating raw food or foods that have gone through little processing as possible. It seemed impossible but I searched "gluten-free, soy-free vegan" on Google and found a lot.

Here's a lovely blog: http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/
She seems to only post once a month, but she has a 'A Typical Day' section of what she eats wherever she may be going and a 'Menus' section of what she ate for Thanksgiving (which I have been dreading cooking for).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian