How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Ashcottmanor (I feel like I'm always calling you out in the thread, hee heeeee)

Are you only a vegan or are there other dietary things you've cut out?

I am gluten-free and recently decided to become soy-free and nut-free. (Don't ask.) Other things such a preservatives and sugar I don't really care for because I'm practically eating raw food or foods that have gone through little processing as possible. It seemed impossible but I searched "gluten-free, soy-free vegan" on Google and found a lot.

Here's a lovely blog: http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/
She seems to only post once a month, but she has a 'A Typical Day' section of what she eats wherever she may be going and a 'Menus' section of what she ate for Thanksgiving (which I have been dreading cooking for).
Hahaha! That's ok Papa! It seems like no one really visits this thread anymore either. Maybe we're the only two here now. :p

To answer your questions.... I am typically only vegan. Although, I don't have any allergies to food that I am aware of, it just makes me feel better to eat gluten free, wheat free, no oils or butter etc.

The only thing that made me feel bad was dairy but since I became vegan it hasn't been a problem

I don't eat pastas or breads, even whole wheat, I don't add salt to anything, no overly starchy veggies, and I try to take it easy on the sugar but I do drink a lot of "sugar free" and diet sodas which I know are not very good for me.

I tend to just eat veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, almond milk and some tofu/tempeh or seitan here and there. It's not very interesting or exciting but I am coming off a raw diet so I'm not so adventurous yet! A lot of the stuff I make I have my family try so they are like my taste testers. Thank god! Cause if I didn't have them I'd be 300 pounds right now!

You sound like you have a pretty healthy diet. Although, i couldn't live without nuts, sorry I'm going to check out the blog you found it looks pretty good!

05-08-2010
oh! darling

I will miss nuts as well. I wonder how I'll ever be able to enjoy ants on a log ever again! Wahhh.

What do you know about quinoa products?

V.I.P.

Quote:
I will miss nuts as well. I wonder how I'll ever be able to enjoy ants on a log ever again! Wahhh.

What do you know about quinoa products?
All I know is that it small, looks like couscous and has a nutty flavor. It's is gluten free and can be made into pasta, burgers, cookies but it's mostly used in rice dishes. A lot of people eat it as a substitute for gluten dishes.

I would check out The Food Network for more info. I've only had it once and it was drenched in beet juice so I couldn't' really taste it but it wasn't bad. Whole Foods has a big selection of different Quinoa products too.

front row

I'm eating vegan gummi bears from Let's Do... Organic! Mmmm. They are good.

12-08-2010
V.I.P.

My first post in this thread. I'm a vegetarian for 3 and a half years now. Where I live it's quite unusual to be vegetarian, because almost all of people around me- family, friends- aren't. And it's hard to find some products which might be suitable for me, especially good quality. Lately I'm quite fond of quinoa, it's so healthy and tasty! Works great with looots of my favourite veggies.

12-08-2010
V.I.P.

I'm about to try to make my own Vegan-Gluten Free Blueberry Scone recipe....I hope they turn out ok...

oh! darling

Quote:
Lately I'm quite fond of quinoa, it's so healthy and tasty! Works great with looots of my favourite veggies.
What variations of food have you found made from quinoa if I might ask?

So far, I've only found it in grain form and in noodles like pasta and spaghetti.

V.I.P.

Quote:
What variations of food have you found made from quinoa if I might ask?

So far, I've only found it in grain form and in noodles like pasta and spaghetti.
Well, lately I made Quinoa and Potato Croquettes, but I like also these recipes:
Quinoa Burgers with greek yoghurt dressing
Blueberry maple quinoa
Black bean and quinoa salad and
Cumin quinoa salad.
All of them are tasty- and so healthy.

13-08-2010
trendsetter

I'm an aspiring vegan (in the process of kicking my cheese addiction). I just finished "Eating Animals," which has me even more inspired to live a vegan life.

Lately one of my favorite high fiber lunches is a can of vegetarian, fat-free refried beans (most regular refried beans have lard) with extra hot salsa. It took a little "getting used to," but now I find that I have no problem digesting that much fiber from beans. (Hopefully not TMI.)

I also really LOVE the sides at the chinese places in our food court malls, believe it or not. I get a large carton side serving of fresh cut mixed veggies for about $3. Fresh sauteed bok choy, green beans, zucchini, carrots & broccoli. 10 minutes 'til lunchtime!!!!!!

13-08-2010
oh! darling

Quote:
Lately one of my favorite high fiber lunches is a can of vegetarian, fat-free refried beans (most regular refried beans have lard) with extra hot salsa. It took a little "getting used to," but now I find that I have no problem digesting that much fiber from beans. (Hopefully not TMI.)
I used to eat this too, but it got too spicy and didn't agree with my insides.

oh! darling

It's possible to be gluten and soy-free, but does that mean there are any companies that cater to this?

Carefully examining the freezers at Whole Foods, I saw a lot of gluten-free breads and such, but they'll likely have eggs. Even some of the coconut ice-creams had soy, so I had to opt for the green tea flavor which ain't all that great.

oh! darling

I'm readying up on soy-intolerance and anything and everything that can be useful in a gluten and soy-free diet.

Quote:
Apparently, just like lactose intolerant people aren’t allergic to butter because butter is only the fat of the milk product, soy lethicin is only the fat part of the soybean allowing us soy intolerant people to tolerate it. Did you catch all that?
glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com
(This blog has GREAT recipes!)

Other great websites and blogs for recipes and information:
http://veganguineapig.blogspot.com
www.larabarstore.com (My favorite vegan snack!)
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7625.0 (I've been looking for a soy and wheat-free burger for a while!)
www.babycakesnyc.com (Everything cool is in NYC. It's official.)
www.daiyafoods.com (A vegan cheese that actually tastes good.)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2297275_vega...e-cookies.html

Enjoy.

oh! darling

Went to Whole Foods Market today to buy gluten-free bread and I scored an aaaaaaaaaaaamazing vegan burger!

The company is called Sunshine Burgers. I bought the Southwest flavor.
I wanna buy the falafel ones next time!

Quote:
Ingredients:
Organic ground raw sun-flower seeds
Organic Brown Rice
Organic Carrots
Organic Black Beans
Organic Bell Peppers
Organic Cilantro
Organic Garlic
Organic Jalepeno Peppers
Organic Ground Cumin Seeds
Organic Onion
Sea Salt
So I made a lovely burger today!

It had yellow mustard, avocado, tomatoes, and rice cheese.

galaxyfoods.com

And I bought this bread. It is sweetened with fruit juices instead of honey.

*photos taken by me

It was vegan and gluten and soy and nut free! IT CAN BE DONE!

Last edited by papa_levante; 26-08-2010 at 05:48 PM.
27-08-2010
V.I.P.

^Wow, you're rather a strict type of a vegan, I see. I don't know if I could be totally vegan, I'm just a simple vegetarian.
And about the recipes, I have my fave site Taste Spotting, sometimes when I'm running without any idea what to cook I just put some phrase such as "vegetarian" or "soy" etc in their search. They have photos from blogs- the bloggers post them on tastespotting with a link of their blog, where you can find great recipes!

28-08-2010
V.I.P.

Papa Levante I just bought those burgers too but haven't tried them yet. Let me know how you like them

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian