How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-09-2010
V.I.P.

^ Me too. I just asked the chef because it was a steakhouse and I had already looked at the menu and knew they didn't have anything for me on there, except a salad. And I was basically living on salads and fruit for the last four days so I was pretty desperate. But I was totally prepared for the chef to say he couldn't do anything and then I'd move on...but he was so nice about it and the pastry chef even made me a vegan chocolate mousse dessert! They were so nice and I highly recommend staying at the Ritz-Carlton if you're ever in the Cayman Islands. They're so accommodating.

I don't mind being the only vegan in the group, I was recently at a wedding and they had a set menu which was a beef filet and halibut on rissotto and steamed veggies. I only ate the rissotto and veggies and gave the meat away. Everyone was asking if I got enough to eat and feeling bad but I was fine because I had something before I left the house knowing that they were probably going to serve some sort of meat for dinner. But it's still embarrassing just the same to have everyone fawning over you because you can't eat what they eat. I don't mind so much being vegan, it's the "stigma" thats attached to it that bothers me. People think because you're a vegan that you're some hippie-meat-Nazi who thinks that everyone should be like them and that you're a bad person if you do eat meat and that is TOTALLY the opposite of how I am. I don't mind if the person next to me is eating meat or even enjoys it. It's there prerogative to do that, but personally I can't stand eating another living thing and all the bad stuff it's doing to my body if I did.

That's the one thing that needs to change, is the stigma attached to vegans.

22-09-2010
fashion insider

Hi everyone.
So my sister is doing a cook/hotellerie school and has been learning about cheeses... She told that apparently they put some powder in all of them that comes from calfs? Anyway, that completely disgusted me and i read about what gelatins were... Eww.
So im thinking about going vegetarian, well partly because i dont like any of the lentilles ect that bring proteins and well i like chicken (so for health reasons) But i dont eat fish, porc, turkey, red meats etc (and my sister loves ducks so she forbidd us to eat them ) (ive stopped some time ago and when id try once in a while the taste/smell/blood makes me sick)
I wanted to know where i could find a site where they list common products and say if they are vegetarian friendly or not, and also if someone could advise what kind of vitamins and complements are best to stay healthy.
Anyway i think im making a good choice. I just ate lunch being careful of what i was cooking, and i feel great! Plus im not hurting any animals (except chickens sorry...) and its a good gesture for ecology!

(ps: i dont want to offend anyone with my question or anything, but i was wondering why vegetarians didnt drink cow milk or eateggs? Its probably a question of how they treat the animals... But i was thinking that since they dont kill the animals for it and that the eggs arent ones that give little chicks... ? )

Last edited by Andrea.RL; 22-09-2010 at 06:22 AM.

22-09-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I hate this. People almost feel obligated to go out of their way so that you can eat something. I usually tell them that they can go wherever they want to and I will find something on the menu that's befitting for my lifestyle.
I don't know how it is for vegans, but I must say, as a lacto-vegetarian, it is so easy for me find something on a menu. I would like to transition to veganism, heck, I have played with it quite a bit but have always fallen off the wagon.

22-09-2010
oh! darling

Quote:
I don't mind so much being vegan, it's the "stigma" thats attached to it that bothers me. People think because you're a vegan that you're some hippie-meat-Nazi who thinks that everyone should be like them and that you're a bad person if you do eat meat and that is TOTALLY the opposite of how I am. I don't mind if the person next to me is eating meat or even enjoys it. It's there prerogative to do that.
Ashcottmanor,
A lot of people also assume that we can't eat meat in front of them. I don't know where they get this idea, but I am not a crazy extremist trying to convert the whole world. Far from it.

Andrea.RL,
As far as I know, vegetarians do drink cow's milk and eat chicken eggs. I think for vegans (IMHO) it's more about where and how we get our milk and eggs that vegan do not support. (This is what I believe.) Sure, getting milk from a cow doesn't hurt the cow, but living in awful conditions, pumped full of hormones and steroids or what have you, etc. I cannot support.
Quote:
But i was wondering why vegetarians didnt drink cow milk or eateggs? Its probably a question of how they treat the animals... But i was thinking that since they dont kill the animals for it and that the eggs arent ones that give little chicks... ?

backstage pass

Hello everyone, so I'm slowly developing a more vegetarian lifestyle; this summer I cut out chicken and turkey from my diet (and I haven't had red meat in over six or seven years). I still eat fish occasionally but I can definitely see myself eventually cutting that out too. I just have a quick couple of questions for the vegan and vegetarian fashion lovers out there...

Obviously being a part of the fashionspot community, you must have a keen sense of the fashion world and its use of leather and fur. How do you cope knowing designers that you admire use leather and\or fur in their collections? Are there other animal conscious designers out there like Stella McCartney, because I would be very curious to know thanks! And I really admired Cloudyshambles comments on the leather jacket, it was something I could relate to and glad to know I'm not the only one who feels guilty about past purchases.

23-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
As far as I know, vegetarians do drink cow's milk and eat chicken eggs. I think for vegans (IMHO) it's more about where and how we get our milk and eggs that vegan do not support. (This is what I believe.) Sure, getting milk from a cow doesn't hurt the cow, but living in awful conditions, pumped full of hormones and steroids or what have you, etc. I cannot support.
I just wanted to add to this and say that a lot of vegans don't drink milk because there are more plant based foods that can give you more calcium than milk. And essentially as humans, we don't have a genuine need for milk....if you think about it, who drinks milk constantly? Calf's and babies and why do they drink it? Because they need to grown and fatten up. That's why when we are old enough we switch to solid foods as do baby cows. We don't need it anymore. For me, it's not a substantial need. And I am allergic.:p

Eggs are a different story, they're full of cholesterol and hormone, as is milk. I've never done well with dairy so for me taking it out and being vegetarian was basically being vegan so that's why I did it. But everyone is different and should make their own choices on the matter.

fashion insider

Thank you ashcottmanor and papa_levante
I went out on internet so i was fully informed on the subject so i could decide whether or not i wanted to eat eggs and drink milk.
I knew about the captivity situation and more or less about the hormones, but not at that extend. It kind of broke my heart (lol, i fell weird saying it this way...) to imagine some twenty animals that could barely move in their cages. And i was disgusted when i read they took off the chickens becks/beeks/beecks(???) so they wouldnt hurt each other.
I think ill avoid them as much as possible, and choose carefully which eggs and what milk i buy if i do.

23-09-2010
oh! darling

Neely,

Quote:
How do you cope knowing designers that you admire use leather and\or fur in their collections? Are there other animal conscious designers out there like Stella McCartney, because I would be very curious to know thanks! And I really admired Cloudyshambles comments on the leather jacket, it was something I could relate to and glad to know I'm not the only one who feels guilty about past purchases.
For me, it doesn't matter. As long as I don't buy them, I am not supporting their use of fur/leather. But, I do own a few secondhand items. But I will only buy secondhand. As far as avoiding leather entirely (like the interior of my car for example), that is a different story. The more difficult it is to avoid, the less likely I am to do it.

Today I watched a clip from Guatemala. It was a small family farm and they killed their own chickens to make their dinner. Now, of course I was disgusted. But, this isn't a factory farm. The family raises their own chickens from when they're chicks, and when they're ready to be eaten, they eat them.

For me, that's different. I 100% agree that humans should eat meat. But, the way we get our meat is a different story. "They're just animals" is not a legitimate excuse. This family didn't use inhumane methods of killing their chickens; they are a family just trying to sustain themselves and their appetites.

front row

^ oh I feel like such a spoil sport, but there are a few facts about milk that just have to be added. It's hardly more ethical than eating meat imo. but I completely agree with ashcottmanor and all she mentioned.
A cow just gives milk when she is awaiting a calf or has just given birth to one, I think most people are not aware of that. Under natural conditions a cow gives birth to 3 - 5 calves during her livespan (approx. 20 years). Now if you take from that what is left after the calf has fed I personally don't see a problem. But that would be hardly enough for the average milk consume of a single person, and the price for milk would be much higher.
The reality is unfortunately that milk cows are artificially put into a state of constant pregnancy so that they get calfs all year long so that she gives more milk. That makes a lot of calfs. The strongest ones are kept and bred as milkcows, the majority is given away to become meat. 80% of all 'meat-cows' are a byproduct of milk production. Alone in Great Britain a quarter million calfs from milkcows are killed and turned into vealproducts. not to mention the highbred milkcows who have enormous udders that are hurting them constantly.

front row

Quote:
Neely,

Today I watched a clip from Guatemala. It was a small family farm and they killed their own chickens to make their dinner. Now, of course I was disgusted. But, this isn't a factory farm. The family raises their own chickens from when they're chicks, and when they're ready to be eaten, they eat them.

For me, that's different. I 100% agree that humans should eat meat. But, the way we get our meat is a different story. "They're just animals" is not a legitimate excuse. This family didn't use inhumane methods of killing their chickens; they are a family just trying to sustain themselves and their appetites.
but don't you think that killing in itself is inhumane? Does it really make such a difference how you treat an animal that it suddenly makes it tolerable to take it's life? then why don't we eat our pets? (sorry for the polemic stance) but honestly what makes their live more valuable than that of a pig which is averagely more intelligent than a dog? that it tastes better or isn't as pretty?
I'm not blaming the family in Guatemala, they are in a completely different situation than we are, but I just don't quite understand the reasoning.

I just realized that I might sound a bit like a radical vegan, which I am not. I have no problem with my friends eating meat in front of me and such, though I am lately strangely appalled by the smell of it. I just believe in harming the environment and other living beings as little as possible without loosing all the joys in life and a certain hedonistic fun. but when I think it through I find that animals are the most harmed elements in our society. It is clear that they can feel pain, certain emotions and have a level of intelligence, nevertheless our society treats them like insensate things apart from a few races that are often romantically idealized. All because humans supposedly need meat, and yet each medical study - also longterm studies - affirms that vegetarians and vegans are just as healthy as omnivores. Becoming vegan was not an emotional decision for me but a logical one.

oh! darling

Quote:
but don't you think that killing in itself is inhumane? Does it really make such a difference how you treat an animal that it suddenly makes it tolerable to take it's life? then why don't we eat our pets? (sorry for the polemic stance) but honestly what makes their live more valuable than that of a pig which is averagely more intelligent than a dog? that it tastes better or isn't as pretty?
I'm not blaming the family in Guatemala, they are in a completely different situation than we are, but I just don't quite understand the reasoning.
Oooo, good point. Well, the family did have dogs and a parrot. And I actually thought, "Why don't they just eat the parrot too?" My mother is from Korea and has eaten dog before. Some countries eat cats, and some countries even eat the placenta. But, I won't try and fight the norms of what countries do or don't eat.

I sometimes think of it this way:
- are there vegans in Africa? Where food is scarce, do African make such decisions?
- since the beginning of time, what did the first people eat?

Meat is alright to eat as long as we are smart about it. Like many people switching over to organic fruits and vegetables because they are pesticide-free, I feel we are slowing moving towards the same with animal: cage-free, vegetarian-free, no added hormones, etc.

Quote:
Becoming vegan was not an emotional decision for me but a logical one.
That's lovely.

Quote:
yet each medical study - also longterm studies - affirms that vegetarians and vegans are just as healthy as omnivores.
But only if we make sure of it! My friend Nikki is a vegan but all she eats is oatmeal with brown sugar because it's cheap she says.

rising star

I've been vegetarian (with occasional fish) for a long time and just in the past 2 months have gone raw. I still eat sushi and herring. Giving up bread was the hardest part until I found Manna bread, which altho not completely raw, is baked at low enough temp to preserve enzymes and vitamins that are usually destroyed by heat. It actually tastes good and is moist and naturally sweet, not like cardboard :

http://mannaorganicbakery.com/

24-09-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.RL View Post
Thank you ashcottmanor and papa_levante
I went out on internet so i was fully informed on the subject so i could decide whether or not i wanted to eat eggs and drink milk.
I knew about the captivity situation and more or less about the hormones, but not at that extend. It kind of broke my heart (lol, i fell weird saying it this way...) to imagine some twenty animals that could barely move in their cages. And i was disgusted when i read they took off the chickens becks/beeks/beecks(???) so they wouldnt hurt each other.
I think ill avoid them as much as possible, and choose carefully which eggs and what milk i buy if i do.
it's hard to give up dairy, but have you ever considered a lot of great dairy alternatives? some nut cheese recipes rival cheese! you can make a mean alfredo sauce out of cashews or a pesto sauce out of macadamia nuts. soy and almond milk are tasty, and they don't leave your stomach and body feeling terrible. i just interviewed a talented vegan/macrobiotic cook for my blog and she left a really simple cheese sauce recipe, along with a few great book suggestions. here's the link to my entry:

http://macrofashion.wordpress.com/20...-cheese-sauce/

i was also inspired by the cheese e-book by russell james:

http://www.therawchef.com/products

though i haven't tried his recipes out, i've been reading good reviews on that and am probably going to try some stuff out next month!

24-09-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
For me, it doesn't matter. As long as I don't buy them, I am not supporting their use of fur/leather. But, I do own a few secondhand items. But I will only buy secondhand. As far as avoiding leather entirely (like the interior of my car for example), that is a different story. The more difficult it is to avoid, the less likely I am to do it.
Thanks papa_levante for your thoughts! I agree I definitely support buying secondhand leather as oppose to new since I'd rather see those items reused and reloved.

24-09-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
Hello everyone, so I'm slowly developing a more vegetarian lifestyle; this summer I cut out chicken and turkey from my diet (and I haven't had red meat in over six or seven years). I still eat fish occasionally but I can definitely see myself eventually cutting that out too. I just have a quick couple of questions for the vegan and vegetarian fashion lovers out there...

Obviously being a part of the fashionspot community, you must have a keen sense of the fashion world and its use of leather and fur. How do you cope knowing designers that you admire use leather and\or fur in their collections? Are there other animal conscious designers out there like Stella McCartney, because I would be very curious to know thanks! And I really admired Cloudyshambles comments on the leather jacket, it was something I could relate to and glad to know I'm not the only one who feels guilty about past purchases.
thank you, i'm flattered!

considering my issue with the leather jacket... i decided to return it! i got it one week ago and i've been thinking about this issue every day! i just couldn't shake off this feeling of slight hypocrisy and realised that i was trying to justify keeping it but could not convince myself lol i read more about how leather is made and the fact that it's not just a byproduct of the meat industry but rather a deciding factor as well.

i know, i've already mentioned that i still use a few things (partly) made of leather that i got long before i turned vegetarian, but buying leather products with the knowledge i have now just feels different and wrong... i just can't justify it. however, i decided to use these old products less and even sell most of them.

i hope my father still has the receipt for the jacket and won't feel hurt or something, but i don't think so ^^
(having made that decision, i actually feel relieved now! jeez, so much thought put into a piece of clothing...)

Last edited by cloudyshambles; 24-09-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian