How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post

I sometimes think of it this way:
- are there vegans in Africa? Where food is scarce, do African make such decisions?
- since the beginning of time, what did the first people eat?

Of course there are. Africa is a huge continent, not some far off jungle or desert with a few bush people :p I am African and I am vegetarian, almost vegan. In fact, in the parts of Africa I'm sure you're thinking about, the villages live mostly on crops and sometimes fish.
To answer your second question, the American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets."

Here are my reasons for not eating flesh:

Meat consumption has quadrupled in the last 50 years and the meat industry is the number one cause of global warming. A 10 acre farm can support 60 people growing soybeans, 24 people growing wheat, 10 people growing corn, but only two producing cattle. Studies have also shown that vegetarians actually get a more optimal amount of protein and it is easier to digest than animal protein. Animal protein on the other hand comes with all of the growth hormones, antibiotics, dioxins, and a plethora of other drugs that are fed to animals in order salve the unnatural conditions of factory farming.

Factory farming is the number one cause of water pollution in the world! As well as number one cause of air pollution, and number one cause of loss of biodiversity. Furthermore, the pollution and greenhouse gases produced from factory farming are 40% more destructive than all transportation on Earth combined.. and we all know what a fuss they make about gas emissions from vehicles!

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Since we cannot digest meat in the intended the way carnivores can, we have rampant heart disease, hypertension, and colon and other cancers. In the colon, undigested proteins putrefy, undigested carbohydrates ferment, and undigested fats turn rancid. This causes toxicity, and these toxins then seep through the intestinal wall and get into the blood stream, which eventually leads to even more health problems.

And my most simple reason of all.. I wouldn't want an animal to eat me, so I don't eat them.

25-09-2010
front row

Same as Georgi here. I'm also a vegetarian but sometimes I do eat fish.

And Palssie, thank you for this 'article'. Very interesting.

26-09-2010
backstage pass

Thank you Palssie, so informative! I didn't realize how much our bodies were made not to consume meat

27-09-2010
front row

I'm not vegetarian but I live with two of them and I'm constantly amazed by how many amazing vegetarian recipes there are on the internet! I don't cook meat myself so it's been so helpful to find a few good food blogs and then adapt their recipes. I would go veg except for that I'm very anemic and I've never been able to get enough iron without eating red meat AND taking insanely high prescription iron supplements. Some weeks I forget to eat at least three servings of meat and my energy level plummets.
I made this yesterday without the bacon and it was unbelievably delicious. Substituting for meat is easy once you're used to it
http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2010/07...sh-corn-pesto/

27-09-2010
fashion insider

I know im late in my answer, but yummm macadamian based pesto sounds soooo good! :p
I loved normal pesto, im kind of surprised to hear its not vegetarian. Im just starting to figure out what is and not. Does anyone have a site or a list where they put all the ingredients that are animal based? Im having a hard time with nutella since i loved that... In a way its good that i cant have that. Do you guys know if nesquik powder is veg?
(ohh and yayy, i tasted chickpeas and liked it, so i may eventually go for the real vegetarian experience at some point When ill get used other veg proteins )

Also ready the post about why we "shouldnt" eat meat, it made me think about this blog that posted about something in the same style: let's say everybody does become vegetarian and vegan (even though that is not likely to happen ^-^') what WOULD happen? Would there be the same number of animals? Would there be a lot more? If so, that wouldnt make more crops since they would need more space to live andthey would need food too so, that doesnt mean more produced fruit, vegetables etc Also would that break the food chain in a way..?

idk, those are just thoughts. In any case that still doesnt mean animals are meant to be paired with baked potatoes and relish, or treated like lesser creatures.

Last edited by Andrea.RL; 27-09-2010 at 11:49 AM.
27-09-2010
V.I.P.

^The way I see it, we wouldn't have any reason to breed and raise so many animals traditionally used for food (cattle, pigs, chickens, etc.) so there would be far less of them. That way, the world would theoretically need way less food. The food chain wouldn't be broken either way, though, since pre-food animals and humans aren't really part of any real food chain.

27-09-2010
fashion insider

I had read the possibility of there being less animals, but it didnt click in as to why... ' Thanks for clearing that one up!

28-09-2010
backstage pass

Wow, I'm going to come off as totally naive, but I didn't realize that rennet/whey powder is found in so many products that I had assumed were vegetarian!

I had just read Andrea.RL's post about how nutella isn't veg and I was so puzzled at first, thinking "what, of course nutella is vegetarian, it's just hazelnuts and milk". But after googling for the last hour, to my horror I have found that nutella and certain yogurts and cheeses are certainly not vegetarian!

And I have to say that I feel a bit cheated to say the least. I absolutely had no idea, but I guess it will teach me to be more aware of products and their ingredient lists. I now know that going vegetarian isn't as simple as cutting out meat. Has anyone else gone through this in their first stages of becoming vegetarian or vegan? I feel much more skeptical to eat out now, but I shouldn't beat myself up for it, nobody's perfect.

28-09-2010
fashion icon

^ The bit about nutella is really disappointing! and rather misleading too! You would just assume that its veg but it certainly isn't.... what a shame.

28-09-2010
backstage pass

why is nutella not vegetarian?

28-09-2010
fashion insider

it has rennet in it (at least in french it's what they call lactoserum, which is presure: some organ they get from calfs... ) I'm sad they do, but it doesnt surprise me since the whole story of them not specifing what oil they use either...

I just hate it when they dont write that their products arent vegetarian, and almost hide it under weird ingredients no one suspects... Its like they are disrepecting people's choice to not eat meat (meat derived) food all that just to sell it and make money.

Last edited by Andrea.RL; 28-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.
28-09-2010
backstage pass

that's shocking! i hardly ever eat nutella anyway, because i'm lactose intolerant, but which ingredient contains rennet exactly? i thought nutella only contained vegetable oil, hazelnuts, skimmed milk powder, cocoa powder, soy lecithin and vanillin?

28-09-2010
front row

The Nutella website lists: ingredients: sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced minerals whey (milk), lecithin as emulsifier (soy), vanillin

Oh. Well, now I'm confused.

Last edited by Kosmonaut; 28-09-2010 at 02:58 PM.
28-09-2010
front row

Sorry for the double post.

I thought whey was just the watery part of curdled milk. And "reduced minerals whey" is whey that's gone through filtering or something.

ETA: You'd think they'd use non-animal rennet because it's cheaper. *shrugs* Whatever, I'm crushed.

Last edited by Kosmonaut; 28-09-2010 at 03:13 PM.
29-09-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.RL View Post
I just hate it when they dont write that their products arent vegetarian, and almost hide it under weird ingredients no one suspects... Its like they are disrepecting people's choice to not eat meat (meat derived) food all that just to sell it and make money.
I completely agree, it's a pretty dirty move to say the least.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian