How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-10-2010
doldrums

Sometimes the "made with natural flavors" ingredient is animal-derived. Yeah the labels can get deceptive especially when animal ingredients are in foods that seem vegetarian. Breakfast cereals will contain vitamin d3 which is a animal derived ingredient.

10-10-2010
windowshopping

So nice to see a thread for vegetarians and vegans over here!
Out of sheer curiosity, I must ask whoever is willing to answer, whether they avoid dead animals in their fashion as well?

Personally, I have decided I will buy leather products only second hand at upscale second hand stores, yes it is still a dead animal but it is second hand and so a new animal did not have to die for my shoes.
Then there's amazing designers like Stella McCartney of course! She is revolutionary in a world full of cruelty, the fact that a mainstream designer like Stella McCartney (next to her respective talent, of course) ís in fact mainstream in this day and age tells me there is appearing a shift in awareness and consumption. A slow shift, yes, but it is happening for sure, which is something that makes me very happy.

Fashion and animal/environment friendliness are not mutually exclusive! ♥

10-10-2010
V.I.P.

I personally don't buy any leather/wool/silk/etc items, but that's just me. I do, however, wear the items I bought before I went vegan. (i.e. a wool sweater, a leather belt.) It just doesn't hurt anything to keep wearing them. I can see how secondhand stuff isn't especially unethical, but I'd rather support a designer like Stella McCartney or someone and buy from them, that way the demand for leather alternatives (ever-so-slightly) increases.

10-10-2010
fashion insider

^ I still buy leather products, people make the assumption that vegetarianism is based on an ethical choice but as that isn't my reason for vegetarianism I see nothing hypocritical in not eating meat but still wearing leather.

windowshopping

ilaughead, I concur... people like Stella McCartney should definitely be supported, but I have to say her fashion is not always in my taste. I also still wear the clothes I bought from before I went vegan, I know vegans who couldn't stand wearing their leathers and wool items and had to get rid of them the second they turned vegan... I say, whatever works for you. There certainly are no "rules", and those vegans that go around proclaiming their rules loudmouthed to others are quite annoying. Not only because you cannot decide for someone else what to do, but also because having a loud 'better-than-though' attitude is not going to change people, and possibly push them in the opposite direction even!

Having said this, hautechild, I didn't come here to call anyone a hypocrite, I hope you didn't think that when you read my post. Like I said, what I asked was out of pure curiosity...
There are many reasons one could go vegetarian or vegan. Health obviously is a big reason as well, and a good one

Last edited by Manoushka; 10-10-2010 at 11:46 AM.
10-10-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
I personally don't buy any leather/wool/silk/etc items, but that's just me. I do, however, wear the items I bought before I went vegan. (i.e. a wool sweater, a leather belt.) It just doesn't hurt anything to keep wearing them. I can see how secondhand stuff isn't especially unethical, but I'd rather support a designer like Stella McCartney or someone and buy from them, that way the demand for leather alternatives (ever-so-slightly) increases.
same here! (even though i wouldn't consider myself a full vegan yet, but 95% of the time i do eat a vegan diet)

10-10-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoushka View Post
Having said this, hautechild, I didn't come here to call anyone a hypocrite, I hope you didn't think that when you read my post. Like I said, what I asked was out of pure curiosity...
There are many reasons one could go vegetarian or vegan. Health obviously is a big reason as well, and a good one
No, not at all!

I said it because that's a reaction I commonly get from non-veggies who think that the only kind of vegetarian is a card-carrying ALF member. Now of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with being vegetarian for ethical reasons, that is a person's choice, but a lot of people seem to think that's the only reason why someone would choose not to eat meat and are all "oooh so you're a vegetarian but what's your bag made out of then?!" I'm not planning on eating my bag so stfu.

oh! darling

Quote:
"oooh so you're a vegetarian but what's your bag made out of then?!" I'm not planning on eating my bag so stfu.
Hahahaaaaa!

I buy second hand if it's leather. I wear and buy no fur. I haven't decided on why I do one and not the other, but fur speaks to me as more of a vanity issue than leather.

front row

I finally stopped buying leather (I had my regular fall from grace facing shoes) BUT I am still struggling with wool. I find it soo hard to find a tolerable vegan winter coat as I am not into sportswear (also because of my job) and it gets quite cold here does anyone know any vegan alternatives apart from secondhand??

fashion insider

I just made a discovery... Looking for some ice to help my itching hand, I grabbed a pot of ben and jerry ice cream, and while I was holding it on my hand I noticed a logo on the other pot still in the freezer: a green V, with in very very small writting vegetarian around it! And all of a sudden I noticed it on other boxes and stuff on some shelves like on a box of pringles, that even specified that it wasnt vegan but vegetarian, and on different boxes of kellogs cereal. It makes me happy

backstage pass

@all the vegans in this thread: i wanted to buy a new jacket for fall/winter... jeez, it's so hard!! almost all jackets consist partly of wool! so frustrating... any similar experiences?

21-10-2010
backstage pass

^okay i managed to find a nice cotton parka for winter! however, i also went looking for nice warm shoes which turns out to be really challenging...

21-10-2010
you set the scene

^I sympathize because the only coats that have ever been quite thick and warm enough for me in winter were wool ones... I do buy second hand, though. I found a basically new wool coat from H&M on eBay and it's perfect. Gotta love other people's castoffs. :p

EDIT: as for shoes, I basically live in boots during winter so I've been shopping around for some, and actually the ones I've liked have all been synthetic instead of leather. That's kind of the benefit of buying less expensive shoes I guess, they often aren't real leather.

Last edited by cestmagique; 21-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.
22-10-2010
fashion icon

So I am a vegetarian for 95% of the time (mainly for health reasons- I've dealt with allergies to most meat products). Ever since I've started college I've struggled with eating good food which is healthy, yummy, and vegetarian. My college really doesn't have a lot to offer, I just get stuck eating from the salad bar and having pasta but I get bored of it. I'm on a meal plan so I have to eat most of my meals on the campus dining halls however, I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for me. Anything I could buy or suggest to the dining hall to have better vegetarian options? Thanks!

22-10-2010
fashion insider

I dont know how it is where you are, but here in france they eat entrée, main plate, cheese then dessert. If have the choice of different little things you can may be try to mix them up, like take some fruit and add it to the salad, same goes with the cheeses, maybe sauces. Or you could just take little stuff from home, like mixed up nuts and dried fruit, croutons, different little packs of vegetables or fruit?

I used to take my lunches in, and put them either in little containers or little baggies, it may be a solutions.

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian