How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2010
V.I.P.

Has anyone read The China Study book? It seems like a lot of people have and it's encouraged them to change to a vegan diet.

30-12-2010
oh! darling

I need to "rejuvenate" my vegan diet. I am doing more careful research so that I am not starving to death nor complaining of having nothing to eat.

With the new year coming up and for those that might decide to go vegan, hopefully these next few posts will be of some help.

Vegan Meal Ideas:

Quote:
In the meantime, here are some simple and healthy meal ideas to start with:

BREAKFAST
cereal/granola with soy/rice milk (don't forget about almond milk too!)
oatmeal or other hot cereal
bagel/toast with jelly
pancakes
soy yogurt
fruit smoothie

SNACKS/DESSERT
pretzels, popcorn
peanuts, almonds, walnuts
sunflower or pumpkin seeds
chips & salsa
banana, apple, orange
raisins, figs, dried apricots
pie, cookies, cake (careful! be aware of what is put in the crusts, mix, etc.)

LUNCH/DINNER
peanut butter & jelly
grain/soy burger
vegetarian hotdog
veggie lunchmeat sandwich
baked/mashed potatoes
french fries
tofu, tempeh, or Seitan stir fry
Seitan casserole
pasta with tomato sauce
tofu lasagna
bean burrito
seitan casserole
tofu lasagna
Replacing eggs:

Quote:
There are several options, depending on what they are needed for. You may want to experiment. Here are some possibilities (each quantity is equivalent to 1 egg):

• Ener-G Egg Replacer (follow directions on box)
• 1 banana (for cake recipies)
• 2 Tbsp corn starch
• 2 Tbsp arrowroot flour
• 2 Tbsp potato starch
• 2 Tbsp soy milk powder & 2 Tbsp water
• 2 Tbsp mashed silken tofu
Here is a list of companies who have been certified with the Certified Vegan logo. (It's only certified. This isn't to say the organization has or has not overlooked or updated their records of these companies still being vegan.)

V.I.P.

^ Omg dried fruit is my favorite! I think I eat too much of it sometimes. You also have to watch out for sulphur dioxide which is basically poison. It's put on a lot of dried fruit to preserve it but it's really bad for the body.

oh! darling

vegan.org

Quote:
Is a vegan diet healthy? As with any diet, a vegan diet requires planning. However, when properly planned, a vegan diet can be considerably healthier than the traditional American diet.

In its 1996 position paper on vegetarian diets, the American Dietetic Association reported that vegan and vegetarian diets can significantly reduce one's risk of contracting heart disease, colon and lung cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, kidney disease, hypertension, obesity, and a number of other debilitating conditions. Cows' milk contains ideal amounts of fat and protein for young calves, but far too much for humans. And eggs are higher in cholesterol than any other food, making them a leading contributor to cardiovascular disease.

Vegan foods, such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans, are low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are rich in fiber and nutrients. Vegans can get all the protein they need from legumes (e.g., beans, tofu, peanuts) and grains (e.g., rice, corn, whole wheat breads and pastas); calcium from broccoli, kale, collard greens, tofu, fortified juices and soymilks; iron from chickpeas, spinach, pinto beans, and soy products; and B12 from fortified foods or supplements. With planning, a vegan diet can provide all the nutrients we were taught as schoolchildren came only from animal products.
Quote:
Will I get enough protein? Virginia Messina, MPH, RD, and Mark Messina, PhD, recommend that vegans receive 0.4 grams of protein per day for every pound of healthy body weight. If a vegan consumes adequate calories and eats a variety of foods, it is very difficult not to get enough protein. This is true for athletes as well. One need not combine foods at each meal to get "complete protein."

The most important plant sources of protein are legumes, soy foods, and nuts. Grains and vegetables also contain significant amounts of protein. Eat a variety of protein sources throughout the day: e.g, a legume (such as beans, tofu, or peanuts) combined with a grain (such as rice, corn, or whole wheat breads or pastas).
Quote:
How about B12? There has been much debate as to what plant foods supply an adequate source of B-12. Many products that were once thought to be adequate, such as tempeh, are no longer considered so. Fortunately, there are easy solutions for vegans. Vegetarian B-12 vitamin pills are available at most drug stores; the 'sublingual' form is preferable. In addition, some foods are fortified with B-12, including Red Star Nutritional yeast. We recommend that all vegans use one of these two methods to insure that they receive the proper amount of B-12.
Quote:
How about calcium?

Adequate intakes of calcium vary according to one's age:

1200 mg for age 50 or above
1000 mg for ages 19-49
800 mg for ages 4-8
500 mg for ages 1-3

A number of vegan foods contain high levels of calcium per serving:

calcium-set tofu (120-200mg per 0.5 cup)
fortified soymilk (200-300 mg per cup
dried figs (50 mg per fig)
fortified orange juice (250 mg per cup)
collard greens (180 mg per 0.5 cup)
sesame seeds (180 mg per 2 Tbsp)
baked beans (130 mg per cup)
broccoli (90 mg per 0.5 cup)
almonds (50 mg per 2 Tbsp)
kale (50 mg per 0.5 cup)
Quote:
Hidden animal ingredients? Labels often include unfamiliar ingredients that may or may not be derived from animals. If you are concerned about a particular ingredient, you can consult a comprehensive animal ingredients list. Our Vegan Certification Program is working to label many vegan foods in order to make shopping easier for vegan consumers. However, most vegan foods are not yet labeled as such. In general, we recommend that vegans concentrate their attention on the most obvious animal ingredients.
Quote:
Is refined sugar vegan? It depends on how you define 'vegan.' Refined sugars do not contain any animal products, and so by an ingredients-based definition of vegan, refined sugar is vegan. However, some refined sugar is processed with animal bone char. The charcoal is used to remove color, impurities, and minerals from sugar. The charcoal is not 'in' the sugar, but is used in the process as as a filter. Thus by a process-based definition of vegan, refined sugar may not be considered vegan. For those who would prefer not to use refined sugar, there are several alternatives: raw, turbinado, beet sugar, succanat, date sugar, fructose, barley malt, rice syrup, corn syrup, molasses, and maple syrup.

However, if one accepts a process-based definition of vegan, then many other familiar products would also not be considered vegan. For instance, steel and vulcanized rubber are produced using animal fats and, in many areas, groundwater and surface water is filtered through bone charcoal filters. So, is a box of pasta that contains no animal products, but has transported to the store in a steel truck on rubber wheels and then cooked in boiling water at your home, vegan? Under a process-based definition, possibly not. But according to such a definition, it would be difficult to find any products in this country that are vegan.

There is another point about definitions that comes to mind. Perhaps, in the above example, the pasta maker also makes an egg pasta. The same machinery is used, and traces of egg are in the 'vegan' pasta; would the pasta not be vegan?

Again, we recommend that vegans concentrate their attention on the most obvious animal ingredients. In our experience, concentrating on processing or on trace ingredients can make a vegan diet appear exceedingly difficult and dissuade people from adopting it.
Quote:
Organic or non-organic? Although 'organic' foods may be preferred for many of the same reasons that vegan foods are (animal welfare, environmental quality, and health), a food is usually considered vegan regardless of whether or not it is organic.

oh! darling

Quote:
You also have to watch out for sulphur dioxide which is basically poison.
I have been looking into how to avoid many preservatives that are found in foods with a shelf life or needs to retain color. It is difficult, but it can be done! I have gotten so used to reading labels that it has no longer become a chore. :p

backstage pass

Happy new year to everyone and I too want to "rejuvenate" my diet as well. I am going to cook more at home and although I love Amy's products, I am going to force myself to make more foods from scratch. I've also bought supplements and Vega to accomodate to my vitamin intake, esp iron and B12.

Also I thought it would be a great challenge to put together one raw vegan meal once a week or so... I found great recipes and videos here by Jonsi (lead singer and guitarist for Sigur Ros) and Alex, they are so cute

02-01-2011
windowshopping

I'm planning on going dairy free for one or two weeks in january! i drink a lot of milk and I want to replace it with almond milk, etc. i'm excited.
what changes have you guys experienced when you changed your diet?

02-01-2011
fashion icon

I love dried pineapple and mango, its like a healthy version of sweets (candy) to me!

Do any of you eat blackstrap molasses on a regular basis? Its nutritional information looks amazing, 1 tbsp has around 17% RDA for calcium and 19% of iron, as well as a ton of other minerals.

03-01-2011
oh! darling

Quote:
what changes have you guys experienced when you changed your diet?
Some of the big things:

- not a lot of restaurants have a lot of dishes to choose from .... unless you want salad every time.
- opting for "specialty foods" can get pricy.
- if you decide to go back to drinking milk, do it slowly. From personal experience, I did not get as sick as I thought as I would. But it's still wise to do it moderately to keep from a bad stomach ache or a huge "offering" to the porcelain god. :p

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
not a lot of restaurants have a lot of dishes to choose from .... unless you want salad every time.
Boy is this true! I rarely eat out anymore because of this reason alone. It isn't necessarily a bad thing though if you're watching your weight because restaurants can put a lot of hidden "fats" into your food that you have no idea about. Also, just because you ask for something to be vegan and the waiter or chef says they can do it doesn't mean they know what it means. I had a chef make me a special vegan meal once, it was delicious until I found out later he used chicken stock in it. Waiters often confuse vegans with vegetarians.

oh! darling

Absolutely, Ashcottmanor.

Some places that I have found to be vegan-friendly ...

Chipotle: rice, black beans (because the pinto are made in lard), fajita, mild/medium/hot salsa (I combine mild and medium together), guacamole, lettuce, and corn if you so choose (I do NOT choose it).

Pho: (pronounced "fuh" like in fuck) Vietnamese rice noodles with lettuce, bean sprouts, sometimes carrots. DELICIOUS! And gluten-free.

There is a local grocer in town called Mountain Mama's that has a sandwich/wrap shop in the back. Any other day I would have written off MM as just a grocery shop. Who knew there was a sandwich shoppe in the back?! Little surprises like that are always nice.

This is the Renaissance

I agree with papa_levante about Pho - yummm. But be certain to ask about the broth as not all Pho places have vegan broth. I learned that the hard way.

I was just at the grocery store and saw something I had never seen before - EatPastry Cookie Dough. They had several flavors and they are all vegan. Hoorah! Naturally, I had to immediately pick some up and I can't wait to make some peanut butter cookies.

Here's their website: eatpastry.com

The world is changing when one can find vegan cookie dough at a mainstream supermarket!

04-01-2011
oh! darling

Quote:
I agree with papa_levante about Pho - yummm. But be certain to ask about the broth as not all Pho places have vegan broth. I learned that the hard way.
Yes, ma'am! The broths are usually meat-based, usually beef. So ask! I get it without any broth, just a steamin' bowl of noodles!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnenoir View Post
I was just at the grocery store and saw something I had never seen before - EatPastry Cookie Dough. They had several flavors and they are all vegan. Hoorah! Naturally, I had to immediately pick some up and I can't wait to make some peanut butter cookies.
Ooh this I will have to investigate and find! Thanks cygnenoir and please let us know the (hopefully) delicious results!

04-01-2011
This is the Renaissance

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Yes, ma'am! The broths are usually meat-based, usually beef. So ask! I get it without any broth, just a steamin' bowl of noodles!
Oh that's smart! We have a zillion Pho places near my Uni, so there are a few with deeelicious vegan broth. It took me awhile to find them though.

(I get so hungry when I'm on this thread! )

I have yet to make any cookies yet and oddly have not even eaten any raw dough - as suggested on the package! Heh.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian