How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Chipotle: rice, black beans (because the pinto are made in lard), fajita, mild/medium/hot salsa (I combine mild and medium together), guacamole, lettuce, and corn if you so choose (I do NOT choose it).

Pho: (pronounced "fuh" like in fuck) Vietnamese rice noodles with lettuce, bean sprouts, sometimes carrots. DELICIOUS! And gluten-free.
Oh my gosh, those things sound so good!

We don't really have Mexican food here but I absolutely love it. I want to be able to make a yummy vegan plate for dinner at home and that Chipotle thing (edit: I just googled it and I think you're talking about a restaurant, not a type of food haha) you mentioned sounds perfect!

Can anyone give me a good salsa recipe? I love coriander (cilantro) so one with that in it is possible.

And how do you cook black beans...just boil them?

Actually any vegan Mexican recipes would be fabulous. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by parisia; 04-01-2011 at 07:39 PM.

05-01-2011
fashion icon

I love using Quorn in my tacos, its such a great product that tastes great and is meat and soy free.

oh! darling

Quote:
Actually any vegan Mexican recipes would be fabulous. I'd really appreciate it.
http://www.veganmexicanfood.com/

And I don't prepare black beans. I actually don't know how. I drain them from the can, put them in Tupperware, store them in the fridge and use them as I need them.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisia View Post
Can anyone give me a good salsa recipe? I love coriander (cilantro) so one with that in it is possible.

And how do you cook black beans...just boil them?

Gwyneth Paltrow has one that quick and simple I really like it.
SERVES: 4
TIME: 10 minutes
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro leaves
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
  • coarse salt
  • squeeze of lime
  • as many finely chopped red jalapeños as you’d like (optional)
Combine the tomatoes, cilantro and onion together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and lime. Reserve some of this mixture for the kids, and then add as much jalapeño as you like to the remaining mixture for the adults.

Black beans: I drain mine out of the can, rinse them under cold water to get all the sauce off then put them in a small sauce pan with about a teaspoon of chopped garlic, a couple sprigs of cilantro and just a little bit of water and simmer them for 10 minutes or so just until all the flavors mix together. But you can cool them however you like.

front row

Thanks, both of you!

07-01-2011
backstage pass

Daiya cheese is where it's at. I can't stop raving about and it actually melts!

My sister and I just consumed the most delicious vegan pizza I've ever had... We made it with red peppers, spinach and daiya cheese on TJ's garlic pizza dough. It was divine

Later we had vegan chocolate covered bananas.....ah reminds me of Arrested Development "There's always money in the banana stand"

09-01-2011
This is the Renaissance

Yeah, there are a few restaurants in LA that are starting to use Daiya! It's pretty exiting to be able to order pizza or nachos like all the other kids.

And an EatPastry update: the cookies are pretty good! Yummy.

09-01-2011
scenester

I had some amazing vegan, gluten free pizza recently in NY. First time having Daiya cheese and it was so good!

10-01-2011
front row

We don't have Daiya here

31-01-2011
trendsetter

Ahh! I haven't checked this thread in quite some time but I've decided to narrow down my vegetarianism and go vegan for the month of February. I just feel like I need a detox (I've gained a few pounds this winter and feel like most of the unhealthy food I eat is made with milk, eggs and/or cheese) and to be just be healthier but I am quite worried I will eat dairy or something without even realizing it.

01-02-2011
V.I.P.

So I've been cooking my way through my Skinny Bitch Ultimate Cookbook and I made the black bean enchiladas tonight...They were a HIT! All my meat eater family members couldn't get enough. You have to go buy this book, it's great.

scenester

been going crazy cooking vegan mexican lately, the last three nights!
i cooked a whole lot of black eyed beans from scratch, then cooked them with onions, garlic, bell peppers, spices (cumin, corriander seed, chilli) and tomatoes. then adding a whole lot of fresh corriander/cilantro at the end. served with quinoa.
also made some vegan cornbread to have on the side. will post recipe if anyone would like it!

01-02-2011
trendsetter

^ yes please!!! That sounds yummy!!!

backstage pass

I have a major sweet tooth, so I was pleasantly surprised to find chocolate bars that were vegan AND without refined sugars, artificial ingredients etc. The brand GO MAX GO has the best, most delicious bars filled with caramel, nougat, nuts etc. LOVE! My friend and I split the Twilight bar and the Jokerz bar, essentially Mars and Snicker bars respectively. And I must say, I have found a new addiction :p

gomaxgo.com

15-02-2011
backstage pass

^wow, these sound too good to be true! I wish we had them here too!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian