How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
No way! What? I've been getting Almond Breeze brand, and it is hella thick. I find it pretty bland, and will only buy it if there is no rice milk.

What brand do you buy?
I use Almond Breeze too but compared to Soy Milk it is thinner. I also get the one that is only 40 calories for 8 oz. so it may be watered down.

19-03-2011
V.I.P.

I also have found I hate Tempeh. I used it in a casserole the other night and it is just disgusting. Even when I marinated it. Yuck. Sietan is still the best sub meat there is.

oh! darling

AGREED. Tempeh is pretty damn gross. Nothing appetizing about it. Preparing it is difficult. The look of it is gag-worthy. Just awful in general.

V.I.P.

Quote:
AGREED. Tempeh is pretty damn gross. Nothing appetizing about it. Preparing it is difficult. The look of it is gag-worthy. Just awful in general.
It is, I can't believe they even sell that stuff.

front row

I just read that article in the NYT named 'Quinoa’s Global Success Creates Quandary at Home', and I find it really sad, but I am a bit unsure what to think about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/wo...me&ref=general

I have decided not to use any soapnuts, because in the end it just creates more harm than good. (apparently they got so expensive in India that many Indians can't afford them anymore and now have to buy very rash chemical detergents which do not have to fullfill the same environmental criteria as European ones)
But with quinoa I am unsure ... what do you think?

don't look down

I must admit, I'm no vegetarian, but when it comes to grains, I like to stick to organic spelt products, mostly sourced from a farm in England or from Germany, so it doesn't have far to travel.

Riot Bug

^most of the soy I take if not 100% i think is organic

oh! darling

Today, I tried Road's End Organics Penne & Chreese pasta dinner.

allerneeds.com

Quote:
Ingredients: GF Brown Rice Penne: Organic Brown Rice and Water. GF Chreese Mix: Organic Brown Rice Flour, Organic Tapioca Starch, Enriched Nutritional Yeast (nutritional yeast, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin [vitamin B2], thiamine hydrochloride [vitamin B1], folic acid, vitamin B12), Organic Green Lentil Flour, Salt, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Ground Yellow Mustard, Seed, Organic Onion Powder and Annatto Powder.
Taste-wise... 6/10. It's an odd powder-y taste. Maybe I needed to add more rice milk.

I probably wouldn't buy this again, but I never thought I'd find a vegan mac n cheese! Amy's rice mac n cheese is utterly nasty.

scenester

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but does anyone else do Meat Free Mondays? I'm a vegetarian myself, but on mondays I make sure my whole family eats vegetarian as well. I think it's just such a great initiative.

04-04-2011
oh! darling

Wasn't it Sir Paul McCartney that came up with that concept? Well, maybe he didn't come up with it, but he certainly supports it.

V.I.P.

I went to this awesome all vegetarian/vegan restaurant this weekend in Santa Cruz and oh my god was it good! I've never had so many choices in my life. They had, burgers, "chicken" sandwiches, fries, brunch items, breakfast, cupcakes, pies, salads anything a old fashioned dinner would have. I ended up getting the mini sliders (2 were CA style and 2 were jalapeno-CA style) and app sampler of sweet potato fries, regular fries, fried zucchini stick, onion rings, tiquitos and my friend got a "chicken" and avocado club sandwich. It was soo good. If any of you are in the area, go there, it's called the Saturn Cafe.

V.I.P.

Oh and here's the link just in case you want to look at all the pretty food!

http://www.saturncafe.com/

scenester

Quote:
Wasn't it Sir Paul McCartney that came up with that concept? Well, maybe he didn't come up with it, but he certainly supports it.

I think he did, Stella McCartney seems pretty committed to it as well...

04-04-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcottmanor View Post
I went to this awesome all vegetarian/vegan restaurant this weekend in Santa Cruz and oh my god was it good! I've never had so many choices in my life. They had, burgers, "chicken" sandwiches, fries, brunch items, breakfast, cupcakes, pies, salads anything a old fashioned dinner would have. I ended up getting the mini sliders (2 were CA style and 2 were jalapeno-CA style) and app sampler of sweet potato fries, regular fries, fried zucchini stick, onion rings, tiquitos and my friend got a "chicken" and avocado club sandwich. It was soo good. If any of you are in the area, go there, it's called the Saturn Cafe.
That sounds so lovely! I hardly know any restaurants that serve "fake" meat in my area... Except for a vegan chinese restaurant, though nearly everything on the menu is deep fried which isn't excactly my cup of tea

04-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meym View Post
That sounds so lovely! I hardly know any restaurants that serve "fake" meat in my area... Except for a vegan chinese restaurant, though nearly everything on the menu is deep fried which isn't excactly my cup of tea
I know what you mean. All the Asian restaurants around here fry everything as well. That's why I like Japanese food the best because they have the veggie rolls and things like seaweed salad that I can eat

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian