How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-05-2011
fashion icon

My mom finally found a great recipe for the mousse and she did the same thing as you did Neely. She made it and didn't tell my sister what the ingredients were so she was super surprised when she found out! My mom says that the mousse is her new party dish- she loves seeing peoples faces when she tells them whats in it! lol
Does anyone else love tofutti cuties as an ice cream substitute? I've been a fan for years, ever since I was a little girl and it was the only ice cream like thing I could eat because of my dairy allergies, and my favorite flavor is vanilla almond bark. YUM!

13-05-2011
V.I.P.

A great thing I just discovered is Polenta. It's low in calories and serving size is very filling not to mention they come in all different flavors like plain, sun dried tomato, basil and garlic etc. and it's very versatile. Check it out. You can throw mixed veggies on top or marinara sauce. Trader Joe's has a good one.

oh! darling

To be honest, Tofutti is actually not half bad. I could never replace actual ice-cream for some people, but as a substitute it'll do.

Polenta, eh? I've seen it in sausage-style packaging but not refrigerated. Will look into it. What exactly is it? A bean? A vegetable paste?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Polenta, eh? I've seen it in sausage-style packaging but not refrigerated. Will look into it. What exactly is it? A bean? A vegetable paste?
Polenta is just boiled cornmeal. It's usually mixed with spices and water and set in that plastic casing. It's an Italian staple and very vegan. I use it more than pasta. Try it!

V.I.P.

Oh She Glows has become my new favorite blog! You guys should really check it out ---> ohsheglows.com <---

I made these burgers tonight and they were DIVINE! Here's the recipe if anyone's interested.

Vegan Lentil-Walnut Burgers

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
  • 1 piece bread, toasted OR 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (I used two slices of bread; the "batter" was really goopy after just one)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • Freshly ground pepper (LOTS LOTS LOTS!)
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 chia/flax egg (1 tbsp ground chia or flax + 1/4 cup water) (Ended up using an egg because I didn't have any flax or chia on hand)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl make the chia or flax egg and set aside. Place lentils in a small pot and add a couple cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove and rinse in colander. While the lentils are cooking, toast the walnuts by placing the walnuts on a baking sheet and cooking at 350F for about 12 minutes until golden brown and delicious. Let cool. In a food processor, process the garlic, walnuts, toasted bread OR breadcrumbs, garlic, spices & seasonings until combined. Now add oil and lentils and pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should be visible and left chunky). Add the flax or chia egg and pulse a bit more until combined. Now shape 4 patties with hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a non-stick mat. Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes on each side for a total of 40-45 mins. bake time. Makes 4 patties.

I also added a tiny drop of sesame oil and a dash of cayenne for some extra kick. It was SUPERB! I couldn't get enough of it! Oh and before sticking them in the oven I coated them in cornmeal just to make sure they didn't stick . I highly highly highly recommend this recipe! I served it on a bun with tomatoes and sauteed mushrooms/onions with parsnip fries. YUMMMMM.

[and everytime she laughs. she hopes he's watching.
so he can fall for her smile. just as hard as she fell for his.]
<3

17-05-2011
fashion icon

Ooohh.... that sounds delicious! Will have to try it out soon. I'm always on the hunt for a new tasty "burger" recipe.

V.I.P.

I love Oh She Glows too! Such a great blog.

Fashion Designer

I'm not vegetarian but I've been dying to try out the banana ice cream recipe from the kitchn. It looks really good.

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

^Frozen banana puree is delicious! Especially with a bit of peanut butter and maple syrup..

[and everytime she laughs. she hopes he's watching.
so he can fall for her smile. just as hard as she fell for his.]
<3

28-05-2011
tfs star

I just made this recipe from the same website. I'll probably be making it regularly this summer since I don't have to use a stove or oven.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/27/cil...-workout-wear/

28-06-2011
Blood On The Leaves

I found these two vegetarian and supposed healthy muffin recipes so I thought I'd share them with you guys.

Green Tea and White Chocolate Muffins

The finished muffins are fragrant and not overly sweet. The white chocolate adds a nice surprise but you can easily make them without it.

70g unsalted butter, room temperature
70g caster sugar
2 eggs, lighten beaten
2 tablespoons milk
120g self raising flour
1 teaspoon green tea powder (matcha)*
1 teaspoon baking powder
40g white chocolate

1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 12 hole muffin or bun tin with paper cases.
2.In a bowl, combine 70g butter and 70g caster sugar and whip until fluffy and white. Gradually add the beaten eggs, stirring well each time. Add milk and mix again.
3.Sieve the flour, green tea powder, and baking powder into the mixture; stir well with a rubber or wooden spatula until evenly mixed.
4.Add 40g roughly-chopped white chocolate chunks to the muffin mixture and fold in gently.
5.Spoon the muffin mixture into the paper cases (filling them 1/2 full), and bake 25-30 minutes.
6.Remove the muffins from the pan and allow to cool.

*For those of you who might have a hard time finding green tea powder: you can find teabag versions easily at your local supermarket nowadays; cut and empty those into a blender, pulse until fine, and voila you got yourself green tea powder.

Vegan Polenta Muffins
These vegan muffins are also sweetened with agave nectar, which is lower on the Glycaemic Index than other sugars. Try adding berries for a tasty and pretty touch. You can also use plain wholemeal flour instead of the regular plain flour, or 30g of each.

70g polenta (corn meal)
60g plain four
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons apple sauce
120ml soya milk
4 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil

1.Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
2.Combine the polenta, flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl; stir in the apple sauce, soya milk and agave nectar. Slowly add the oil while stirring. Pour the mixture into the muffin tin.
3.Bake in the preheated oven until a skewer or small knife inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.

TEXT AND PICTURES FROM ALLRECIPES.CO.UK

28-06-2011
windowshopping

This thread is so helpful, I haven't been vegan for long and there is so much useful information on here!

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I recently found this vegan recipe blog and it has quickly become on of my favorites.

http://theveganstoner.com/

28-06-2011
backstage pass

What a sweet website, sophiejade thank you so much!
I really like veganbackpacker.com

29-06-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnys_girl09 View Post
Oh She Glows has become my new favorite blog! You guys should really check it out ---> ohsheglows.com <---
Yes, I've read Oh She Glows from almost when she first began it and love it! Some of the recipes for baked goods have ingredients I don't tend to have in or are a bit complicated for me, but the savoury recipes are always really good! Mama Pea is another really good vegan blog.

29-06-2011
trendsetter

I've converted back to vegetarianism/veganism. I don't eat much animal products at all, only eggs and honey, with some cheese very very occasionally. I feel so so much better when I don't eat meat. I was raised vegetarian and it definitely suits me best.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian