How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-06-2011
V.I.P.

I know what you mean, Ive been a vegetarian for something like 5 years now and just trying to become a full vegan. I dont really miss anything apart from fish, chocolate/sweets every now and then and Im not too sure whether soy (yoghurt, for example) doesn't really agree with me.
Apart from that I think once you inform yourself about the lifestyle, its benefits and how bad dairy can actually be for your health it just makes me feel amazing and its definitely something I personally want to stick to for the rest of my life.

29-06-2011
trendsetter

Ever since I 'quit' meat about a month and a half ago, my skin has been looking great. I'm thinking there is a correlation. I could only go back to eating meat if I can eat organic, but it's so expensive, and so calorie dense besides.

29-06-2011
backstage pass

do you consume soy products? I know that there are some controversial opinions about it. I buy a block of tofu about every two weeks and drink 0.5 litre of soymilk every day because compared to other non dairy milks it contains the most protein. I'm only buying organic though.

29-06-2011
trendsetter

I eat Tofu some times, probably less than onces a month, and occasionally get cravings for Soy Milk. Growing up my mom regarded soy milk as expensive (it kind of is) and we were not allowed to drink it, it was only used on cereal and for baking, so it feels really indulgent to me to be able to have a whole glass of it to myself.
I also love to drink White Russians and use soy milk to mix it instead of half and half, but anything more processed than that I avoid as a general rule, Morningstar sausage, soy crumbles, all of that stuff, it's generally pretty junky in my estimation.

01-07-2011
tfs star

Okay...I hadn't eaten meat in ten years...vegan for a year and a half, veggie for four years, and then slowly became pescatarian over the past five years. I was feeling great, and my skin was great.

But two months ago, from lifestyle changes, I started eating chicken, once or twice a week tops. After two months of this, I started getting pimples on my lovely face. Exactly like I used to ten years ago, before I became veggie...

Anyone experience something similar??

I hope it's the chicken because the problem would be easily resolved. (It could also be due to the lifestyle changes, which would be harder to resolve.) But why would the body react differently to the chicken than fish? Because of the antibiotics and horrendous farming conditions and whatnot?

Last edited by Melisande; 01-07-2011 at 01:19 PM.
01-07-2011
tfs star

By the way Teja the green tea muffins look good, thanks! Reminds me of Japan~~

01-07-2011
trendsetter

Probably because of hormones, yeah. Fish are given hormones as in some situations if they're farmed rather than wild-caught though.
I have to force myself to eat fish if it's not sushi, I am generally not a big fan of fish-related things, but lately I've been liking shrimp a lot, especially with garlic in a stir-fry.

02-07-2011
front row

I am unintentionally pescetarian. Does that count?

02-07-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
I eat Tofu some times, probably less than onces a month, and occasionally get cravings for Soy Milk. Growing up my mom regarded soy milk as expensive (it kind of is) and we were not allowed to drink it, it was only used on cereal and for baking, so it feels really indulgent to me to be able to have a whole glass of it to myself.
I also love to drink White Russians and use soy milk to mix it instead of half and half, but anything more processed than that I avoid as a general rule, Morningstar sausage, soy crumbles, all of that stuff, it's generally pretty junky in my estimation.
where I live soymilk is actually the cheapest non-dairy option! I read some food blogs and I see almond milk there a lot, but I found only one shop that sells almond milk here and it's about 3 times the price of the soymilk I buy I'd love to try it though because I looove nuts and especially almonds!

however, I've read some controversial things about eating too much soyproducts so I wanted to try another non-dairy milk and wanted to know what you guys use and can recommend

02-07-2011
front row

^ What about oat-milk or rice-milk, it's not much more expensive than soy-milk. They both have a more 'water-like' consistence, but also a more neutral taste than soy-milk. I love love love the oatly-cream for making sauces, and prefer cocoa with oat milk a lot over soy-cocoa Back in Norway we had also this vanilla-cream from oatly which was heavenly.
here's a link to their stuff: http://www.oatly.com/
a lot of people like rice-milk, but I like oat-milk way more, I think it's really just a personal preference.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
Probably because of hormones, yeah. Fish are given hormones as in some situations if they're farmed rather than wild-caught though.
I have to force myself to eat fish if it's not sushi, I am generally not a big fan of fish-related things, but lately I've been liking shrimp a lot, especially with garlic in a stir-fry.
Really?! Hormones? I looked it up and everywhere I read it says that they do use antibiotics to ward off disease, but don't put hormones in poultry, it's illegal, they'd have to inject it anyway, it's all a myth, etc. etc...whereas my body says otherwise. I don't know what to think any more. And hormones in fish...

02-07-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
I am unintentionally pescetarian. Does that count?
um...depends what you mean by "unintentionally" and "count"...

02-07-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Really?! Hormones? I looked it up and everywhere I read it says that they do use antibiotics to ward off disease, but don't put hormones in poultry, it's illegal, they'd have to inject it anyway, it's all a myth, etc. etc...whereas my body says otherwise. I don't know what to think any more. And hormones in fish...
it depends on where you are, but generally farmed seafood from China/Thailand. I won't touch it. They're given weight-gainers a lot to get them up to slaughter size. Also the FDA doesn't text for hormones in fish, so. :searches for online sources:

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fis...mones-in-feed/
http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Fish.htm

Last edited by dauphine; 02-07-2011 at 09:48 PM.
03-07-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
um...depends what you mean by "unintentionally" and "count"...
As in I don't do it on purpose. It just happens to be the way I eat now.

03-07-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliana View Post
^ What about oat-milk or rice-milk, it's not much more expensive than soy-milk. They both have a more 'water-like' consistence, but also a more neutral taste than soy-milk. I love love love the oatly-cream for making sauces, and prefer cocoa with oat milk a lot over soy-cocoa Back in Norway we had also this vanilla-cream from oatly which was heavenly.
here's a link to their stuff: http://www.oatly.com/
a lot of people like rice-milk, but I like oat-milk way more, I think it's really just a personal preference.
actually now that you mention it I tried oat milk years ago and I liked it! I have never tried rice milk but I'll give it a go. What made me buy soy milk all the time was 1. the taste (love it) and 2. that soymilk contains so much protein (unlike other non-dairy options). I need to get away from that mindset 'the more protein and the less carbs the better'

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian