How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-07-2011
V.I.P.

I got Tempeh but I have no idea how to cook with it. any ideas?

03-07-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyshambles View Post
where I live soymilk is actually the cheapest non-dairy option! I read some food blogs and I see almond milk there a lot, but I found only one shop that sells almond milk here and it's about 3 times the price of the soymilk I buy I'd love to try it though because I looove nuts and especially almonds!
I know, its so annoying! I live in England and I think the cheapest I've seen a non dairy milk thats not soy is about £3 for 1l (roughly 5USD) compared to £1.30 for 1l soy. I'm not vegan but used to only have soy milk, but since coming home for the summer have switched back to regular, mainly because I've been reading a lot of things recently about problems with soy.

31-08-2011
fashion insider

This year sucked. I tried twice to go vegetarian , but it never lasted more than a few months. But I'm happy because I talked to few friends at the time about how I was trying, and one of them told me last weekend that thanks to me she was considering it, so we are trying yet again together.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.RL View Post
This year sucked. I tried twice to go vegetarian , but it never lasted more than a few months. But I'm happy because I talked to few friends at the time about how I was trying, and one of them told me last weekend that thanks to me she was considering it, so we are trying yet again together.
Don't be too hard on yourself! Any step towards a meat-free diet is good. And even if you ultimately decide not to go vegetarian, that's okay too. It's the small choices that matter. Ordering a veggie burger instead of beef, going for a soy latte rather than one with cow's milk. Nobody's perfect and noone can do everything, but everyone can do something!

01-09-2011
V.I.P.

^start with cheese instead of meat on your Sandwich.
That is one right step. And more than so Many Others do.

tfs star

For how long does seitan stay good in the freezer? I paid 6 dollars for a bag of vital wheat gluten thinking it was kind of pricey but really it isn't. Just half the bag made way too much seitan. I'm going to have to get someone else to eat some of this. At least I know what I want to use it for. I think I might have decided what I'm making for Thanksgiving already.

05-10-2011
oh! darling

I don't know the answer to this but here is what I found.

Quote:
Seitan needs to be fully cooked before freezing it. The raw product does not freeze anywhere near as well as the cooked one.

Seitan is best when eaten within three months of preparation, although they will be safe to eat indefinitely when stored at or below 0 degrees. Although the freezer section of a refrigerator-freezer does not usually get this cold, a separate deep freeze does.
ehow.com

tfs star

Thanks. I guess it should be okay then.

06-10-2011
V.I.P.

i am contemplating doing some vegan baking

however a lot of the recipes call for items i dont have such as :

agave nectar
coconut oil
coconut flour
soy “Better Than Milk” powder
xanthan gum
garbanzo and fava bean flour
potato starch
arrowroot
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour

i'm pretty sure i can get some of these items at my local health food store.

does anyone have any troubleshooting hints for vegan desert baking? can a lot go wrong?

i plan on using some of the recipies from the famous babycakes vegan/glutin free cookbook.

backstage pass

i wouldn't recommend using agave. initially, it was thought to be super healthy but then it turned out it's not so healthy after all.

you can read some more about it there:
http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/2...ives-to-agave/

07-10-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i am contemplating doing some vegan baking

however a lot of the recipes call for items i dont have such as :

agave nectar
coconut oil
coconut flour
soy “Better Than Milk” powder
xanthan gum
garbanzo and fava bean flour
potato starch
arrowroot
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour

i'm pretty sure i can get some of these items at my local health food store.

does anyone have any troubleshooting hints for vegan desert baking? can a lot go wrong?

i plan on using some of the recipies from the famous babycakes vegan/glutin free cookbook.
While a lot of recipes call for substitute animal replacements (such as the soy powder, etc), you can easily replace an egg with 1/4 applesauce or half a mashed banana in baked goods like cookies and muffins. It adds natural sweetness and fluffiness and is a much healthier and easier substitute.

As for a milk substitute, I prefer to use almond milk. Too much soy in our diets (I assume most here consume some type of soy almost every day) is not advised, so when I can avoid it, I use almond milk. There is also a lot of protein in it and it adds a subtle nutty flavor in baking. Always look for unflavored and unsweetened, though.

As for the rest of the products, agave is a simple sugar replacement. If you are a honey-eating vegan, then honey is a comparative product that you probably already own. Arrowroot is a thickener comparable to cornstarch and has no flavor, and xanthan gum is another similar thickening agent. The other flours can be subbed for regular flour if you need, they are simply gluten-free options.

07-10-2011
fashion elite

I didnt know this existed...
IM A PROUD MACROBIOTIC!!

07-10-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanelnumber5 View Post
I know, its so annoying! I live in England and I think the cheapest I've seen a non dairy milk thats not soy is about £3 for 1l (roughly 5USD) compared to £1.30 for 1l soy. I'm not vegan but used to only have soy milk, but since coming home for the summer have switched back to regular, mainly because I've been reading a lot of things recently about problems with soy.
This is such hippie advice, but almond milk (or other nut milks for that matter) are actually super easy to make, and that way you can control how much sweetener you want to put in. You can also make almond or hazelnut cream for baking and such, just put less liquid in. All you do is soak almonds over night, then blend then in a food processor with however much liquid you want (I've never written down quantities, I just kind of experiment), and add salt or honey or whatever and strain it until it's nice and smooth. And then you gloat about being such a little do-gooder :p

10-10-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eostre View Post
This is such hippie advice, but almond milk (or other nut milks for that matter) are actually super easy to make, and that way you can control how much sweetener you want to put in. You can also make almond or hazelnut cream for baking and such, just put less liquid in. All you do is soak almonds over night, then blend then in a food processor with however much liquid you want (I've never written down quantities, I just kind of experiment), and add salt or honey or whatever and strain it until it's nice and smooth. And then you gloat about being such a little do-gooder :p
^
I really want to try this it sounds delicious.

22-11-2011
rising star

I've been a vegetarian for almost 18 years now (started when I was 5) and I have a tendency to attract the most ardent meat eaters.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian