How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-03-2010
backstage pass

this is probably a strange question to ask on a fashion forum lol ... but since you don't eat meat, do you wear clothes or bags that are made of leather? i guess this question concerns especially vegans.

27-03-2010
backstage pass

Thank you everyone who answered my question. I guess I can safely say the book I'm reading is preaching rubbish then!

you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyshambles View Post
this is probably a strange question to ask on a fashion forum lol ... but since you don't eat meat, do you wear clothes or bags that are made of leather? i guess this question concerns especially vegans.
I do, if I get them secondhand.

27-03-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
I do, but then my reasons for not eating animal products aren't for ethical reasons, I simply don't want to consume them because I prefer my diet that way. I actually think that for me it would be far harder to give up leather products that giving up eating animal products.

front row

Quote:
I'm vegan for ethical reasons, so yes I don't buy anymore leather clothes and bags. It is quite feasible to find good fake leather stuff. Beautiful vegan shoes on the other hand are a painfully rare and I still sometimes have my fall from grace and splurge on leather designer shoes. Honestly when it comes to fashion I find it sooo much harder to be vegan and to resist the temptations than with food. Esp. since wool and silk are non vegan too.
How do you other vegans deal with the winter coat issue? I am honestly not willing to run around in functional sports wear which is the only wool free option I could think off and my woolcoat from my prevegan time is kind of reaching the end of it's lifespan.
Is ther any alternative to secondhand?

V.I.P.

It's a little pricey but Stella MCcartney doesn't use any animal products in her clothes and I believe they're all eco friendly too. I wish more people would do that. I'm glad H&M are using recycled fabrics for their new items. And they actually look great!

This is the Renaissance

No leather or silk for me either.

Sure, it's a bit challenging, but hey, shopping at Barneys is a lot easier now as I am not usually tempted by the latest "it" handbag!

But there are great choices out there and several threads here on veg style, non-leather shoes and bags that could use some new posts!

10-04-2010
scenester

^^ whats wrong with silk? i know it's not vegan but it's not like they suffer.

i'm a vegetarian and used to be a vegan until I got ill because of lack of vitamins. and i was extremely careful that I ate everything I needed.

I feel like such a horrible person because I buy leather shoes, it's the only thing with leather i would ever buy, because it is so hard to find any good boots without leather that is either not so cheap they will fall apart or really expensive. I feel bad about it almost everytime I wear them.

V.I.P.

^Regarding silk, if you kill/boil the animal, it's not vegetarian.

10-04-2010
scenester

yes, of course. i guess it's the same as with honey. but it feels like it's a really blurry line between what's okay and what's not when it comes to insects.
i understand the feeling of not wanting to wear or eat anything made by animals, but, personally, i think there is a real difference between insects and cows.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

^ That is interesting, I am curious as to why you think there is a difference? Is it the size of the animal that matters to you?

scenester

No, not the size. for me it's about the level of consciousness. of course, we can never really know, but all scientific research says insects do not feel.
then there is the part about how the animal is being treated. I don't know much about how the silk worm lives before it dies. Even if it's treated bad it still isn't as bad as treating a pig bad because the pig will certainly feel the pain. but of course the silk worm should have a good life too. In that way, for me it's more okay to eat fish than pig. Not that they don't feel pain when they suffocate to death, but they probably had a good life while being alive, but the pig did not. I would never eat an animal, but if i had to choose, of course I would pick the animal i believed had suffered the least before it died.

but with silk.... that's my favorite fabric. and nothing would stop me using it.

Last edited by posed to death; 11-04-2010 at 05:19 AM.
11-04-2010
backstage pass

I'm not a vegetarian but I just wanted to give you a eggplant parmesan recipe I make when some of my vegetarian friends come over.

Edit:I don't know how to convert the eggs into a vegan substitute, so I wouldn't know what to recommend for that. Sorry D:

Ingredients
2 eggplants peeled and thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slice eggplant, sprinkle with sea salt, and leave in colander in sink for 30 mins. Rinse well with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel until dry. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with extra virgin olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes on each side.

In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

Last edited by CaitlinC; 11-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.
11-04-2010
front row

I couldn't handle being a true vegetarian, but I'm amazed by anyone who is. It's a very tough lifestyle choice to make and very difficult to stick to.

I only eat red meat (beef) on weekend and stick to mostly chicken, seafood and salads/veggies during the week.

Also, how to you feel about vegetarians who eat seafood?

11-04-2010
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everinprogress View Post
Also, how to you feel about vegetarians who eat seafood?
I don't consider that to be vegetarian, it just doesn't fit the definition. It's more like a healthy-diet choice. But anyway, I think eating seafood (depending on the type) is preferable to eating meat, mostly for the reasons posed to death mentioned.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian