How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post
anybody know where i can get vegan food in Germany? just in a Naturkostladen/Reformhaus or do normal chains (Aldi, Rewe etc) have vegan stuff as well? i only ever see vegetarian food.

Also:
- my main problem is that i LOVE dairy products and i don't really like soy milk, is there a good alternative?
- any websites with many recipes? (i'm especially looking for cookies, cakes and other sweet stuff)

i tried going vegan a couple of years ago but couldn't stay strong, now i'm trying to get back into it...i'm just scared that my addiction to chocolate will make me weak again
I know I'm a bit late, but you might want to check out "Chocolate Covered Katies" homepage. It's mostly about healthy and vegan desserts

22-03-2012
V.I.P.

I am by no means vegetarian, however I do enjoy vegeterian meals from. Could some one recomend a source of great tasty healthy vegetarian recipes?

backstage pass

Ok, I'm really thinking I can pull it off, being a vegetarian. What are some things I should know?

scenester

I'm going through a recent dilemma!
To quickly run down my dietary history: I'm 11 years no beef and 5 years vegetarian (with a 1-year pescatarian gap). I also generally eat vegan, except when I eat out.

The dilemma is; a friend recently brought up the issue that she hates when people call themselves vegetarians and consider eating eggs acceptable. She is a meat-eater/lover, but her point has got me thinking. The guilty conscience that kicked in when I gave up meat all those years ago has started knocking on my mental door again.

A full move to veganism seems difficult, if only because it limits incredibly the places you can eat, both conveniently and socially. I know I'm over-thinking this completely right now, but I can't help it. I'd like to know your opinions!

The question is: What are your thoughts on 'vegetarians' consuming eggs? Is there an ethical difference between eating eggs masked in the facade of baked goods and eating eggs alone (such as in omelets)? Should it be considered another sub-category?

29-03-2012
tfs star

By definition it's a vegan who would never have eggs and dairy, not a vegetarian. Also it depends on someone's reason for why they don't eat meat. It's not the same reason(s) for everyone.

30-03-2012
V.I.P.

I eat eggs, but only the white ones and bio-products.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MussedPorcelain View Post
To quickly run down my dietary history: I'm 11 years no beef and 5 years vegetarian (with a 1-year pescatarian gap). I also generally eat vegan, except when I eat out.

The dilemma is; a friend recently brought up the issue that she hates when people call themselves vegetarians and consider eating eggs acceptable. She is a meat-eater/lover, but her point has got me thinking. The guilty conscience that kicked in when I gave up meat all those years ago has started knocking on my mental door again.

A full move to veganism seems difficult, if only because it limits incredibly the places you can eat, both conveniently and socially. I know I'm over-thinking this completely right now, but I can't help it. I'd like to know your opinions!

The question is: What are your thoughts on 'vegetarians' consuming eggs? Is there an ethical difference between eating eggs masked in the facade of baked goods and eating eggs alone (such as in omelets)? Should it be considered another sub-category?
As an omnivore, I think your friend is full of it! Her offhand and ignorant comment has you agonizing. If you weren't bothered by eggs before, why be bothered now?

I wish I had a tape of the hilarious conversation around the table the other night as we were eating with a 'vegetarian' who also eats seafood, plus meat from random animals she considers unpetworthy (such as wild boar, which was on the menu). She was explaining at length how dogs and pigs are interchangeable, and I said I sure would be surprised to find a pig curled up in my bed Sometimes you just can't pay too much attention to people who don't make that much sense.

I would just ask yourself, does an egg feel like something that's good for me to eat? And then listen to how you feel.

03-04-2012
fashion insider

Quote:

An egg is not an animal. Your friend is wrong.

rising star

Quote:

I've been a vegetarian with a few "gaps" like you call them for the past 14 years and my take on this is: do as you like.
People criticizing your ethics because you're not "going all the way" will always be there.
I buy local & organic products, I know my goat cheese comes from goats that are well treated and that the chicken that laid those eggs aren't caged and suffering. To me that's just fine.

03-04-2012
rising star

Oh and about the chocolate: if you don't want to give it up, you can find chocolate very high in cocoa that doesn't contain mlik (Lindt make that, super yummy too) or give carob a shot, you might like it!

03-04-2012
V.I.P.

or soja chocolate.

Making a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen-rox View Post
I am by no means vegetarian, however I do enjoy vegeterian meals from. Could some one recomend a source of great tasty healthy vegetarian recipes?
Me neither but I do love a good vegetarian meal and would love to hear some of your guys favourites!

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
As an omnivore, I think your friend is full of it! Her offhand and ignorant comment has you agonizing. If you weren't bothered by eggs before, why be bothered now?

I wish I had a tape of the hilarious conversation around the table the other night as we were eating with a 'vegetarian' who also eats seafood, plus meat from random animals she considers unpetworthy (such as wild boar, which was on the menu). She was explaining at length how dogs and pigs are interchangeable, and I said I sure would be surprised to find a pig curled up in my bed Sometimes you just can't pay too much attention to people who don't make that much sense.

I would just ask yourself, does an egg feel like something that's good for me to eat? And then listen to how you feel.
I've met someone like your friend, too. You're right, they are full of it.

Since that mildly irrational comment, I've eaten eggs a few times and felt very little guilt about it, so I think I have my answer. Thank you for your help.

04-04-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i dont think you should worry so much about offending him. i know many vegans that give into cravings occasionally and partake in non vegan items.
thanks for the input you too. I realized that my eating habits have changed recently, but not from him but watching the documentary Food Inc I barely eat red meat, but now I think I am completely switching to no red meat or pork. Plus, shopping at Trader Joe's makes these temptations a lot easier because they do have so many organic options that are not breaking my college student budget. I had a friend before I met him who is a vegetarian and we never judged her because she chose that lifestyle I usually would forget she was one because it is so common in NY that it isn't some weird or taboo idea. Every time we would get chipotle and I would ask her why she didnt get chicken and then i'd feel stupid for forgetting she didnt eat meat. I think it is pretty easy to take meat out of your diet because there are so many ways to get protein without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
A big issue I have is when people judge me for my eating habits. Which is why I always tell people that I don't care if they eat meat because that's their choice just like it's my choice to be a vegetarian. We just have to respect each-others differences. But if you like being a vegetarian then that's fab, just make sure you aren't still feeling pressure from him (or anyone else) about it. I think ultimately we have to do what's right for ourselves, whether that's being a vegetarian or not.

07-04-2012
backstage pass

Hi Guys! I am a vegetarian for over 7 years and really amazing all the benefits it has brought me!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian