How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-12-2012
scenester

^ Awesome, a fellow New Yorker!

There are two great ones in the city, as well; Jivamuktea Cafe and Angelica's Kitchen, both in the East Village/Union Square area. Also, Caravan of Dreams isn't bad, but it's a hit or miss.

10-12-2012
rising star

MussedPorcelain, thank you for your recommendations! I yelped all three. However, I'm looking for a date approved vibe. Aside from Blossom, where can we go that's nice, not too expensive, but a bit more quiet/intimate. Any other suggestions?

TIA!

Last edited by seamnoir; 10-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.
14-12-2012
trendsetter

@SeamNoir
have you checked out Candle Cafe?

16-12-2012
backstage pass

Something interesting and something sad (for me) that`s vegan-related
Sad...
I just read that M.A.C. cosmetics since selling in China, has conducted animal testing. They have been added to the Peta list of cruelty free companies. (Sorry if this news is old, but just recently brought to my attention). This really upsets me, I even sent them an email---something I never do, but felt really compelled to.

Interesting....
Tom Ford designed vegan boots for Anne Hathaway for her Les Miserables premiere in NYC.
Thoughts?

Elle

16-12-2012
trendsetter

That's really unfortunate about MAC. I don't wear a lot of makeup but when I do it's usually MAC. I know it's on the other end of the price spectrum but FYI Wet N Wild doesn't test on animals. Here's a searchable list of animal-friendly brands:
http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-an...s/default.aspx

17-12-2012
fashion elite

I never in a million years would've thought of TF designing vegan anything. Hello, his taste for "luxury" in anaconda boots and alligator dresses.
Although how vegan can they be? (i.e. Fish-oil free soles?) Those gladitor boots have grown on me though.

22-12-2012
windowshopping

Does anyone of you cook here? Just made this today. Yum! Been trying for a few months where I try to focus on eating a plant based diet. Let me know if you want the recipe for it!

Last edited by Junn; 22-12-2012 at 07:59 PM.
23-12-2012
trendsetter

It looks good! What veggies are in it?

23-12-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
Something interesting and something sad (for me) that`s vegan-related
Sad...
I just read that M.A.C. cosmetics since selling in China, has conducted animal testing. They have been added to the Peta list of cruelty free companies. (Sorry if this news is old, but just recently brought to my attention). This really upsets me, I even sent them an email---something I never do, but felt really compelled to.

Interesting....
Tom Ford designed vegan boots for Anne Hathaway for her Les Miserables premiere in NYC.
Thoughts?

Elle
My thoughts are he should have stopped at the ankle. I also wish that pleather weren't so often PVC (petroleum byproduct and particularly nasty plastic).

24-12-2012
Making a Mess

One of my favourite meals as of late is tabouleh and flatbread with hummus and eggplant falafel. I find myself craving it almost everyday.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
It looks good! What veggies are in it?
Hey dauphine, they are chinese winter lettuce, onions and shiitaki mushrooms. stir fry and ready to serve. try it! it tastes great!

windowshopping

i used to eat kimchi with plain rice but i've recently found a better combination for it.
the above would be suitable for vegetarians since it contains eggs. as for kimchi, it would be better if you could make your own as some of the pre packaged ones sold in supermarkets contain fish sauce.

trendsetter

^
I make my own kimchi sometimes and I put fish sauce in it, and shrimp paste. But there are definitely easy veggie ways to do it. I love Korean food!

Also my favorite vegan cookbook author has an instagram account and she posts wonderful looking photos of vegan cooking:
http://instagram.com/isachandra

10-01-2013
backstage pass

Does anyone else follow the blog ohsheglows? I find myself reading it everyday. Not only lovely recipes, but insightful words on health research too

10-01-2013
tfs star

i would suggest the documentary Forks over Knives , where this whole thing is discussed and how as humans weren't really created to eat from all this animals and we just evolved from it, and how with just stop eating all this animal orgin food (including meat, eggs, milk...) people had actually gotten better health and more energy when suppously all this foods are so important to us because they have calcium and proteins... (meaning we can still get the right amount of this elements from things that grow from the earth) it shows with some facts how vegetables can change someone's health and decrease the possibilities of heart diseases and other kind of illness too.

then again, i'm just a pescetarian, it's a very interesting documentary and i thought it was pretty reasonable, but not enough for me to become a vegan, at least not yet or not in my country when finding food for vegan people it's really hard.

Last edited by daniellat; 11-01-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Removed quote from deleted post.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian