How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2010
scenester

Do you guys think it's bad to drink soy milk everyday?

11-04-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitlinC View Post
I'm not a vegetarian but I just wanted to give you a eggplant parmesan recipe I make when some of my vegetarian friends come over.

Edit:I don't know how to convert the eggs into a vegan substitute, so I wouldn't know what to recommend for that. Sorry D:

Ingredients
2 eggplants peeled and thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slice eggplant, sprinkle with sea salt, and leave in colander in sink for 30 mins. Rinse well with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel until dry. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with extra virgin olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes on each side.

In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
>>> oh god why did i read this right before dinner when i have none of these ingredients?? It looks awesome. thank you so much for posting!!

xo holier

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXOskeleton View Post
Do you guys think it's bad to drink soy milk everyday?
Not at all, as opposed to dairy do you mean? or just outright? There are some lovely members who post on this thread however, that a more likely to be more insightful than me I have been vegan for 4 years, and vegetarian for 6/7, this thread is really great, subscribing

11-04-2010
don't look down

A friend of mine, who runs his own health store, has the opinion that you can have too much soy, and says that he has known women who have experienced thyroid problems from it. He feels that not everyone would develop something like that, but some people are susceptible, so it's worth keeping in mind, and he mentions this to anyone that he regularly sees buying soy products in his store.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 11-04-2010 at 06:44 PM.
11-04-2010
scenester

@Eimii: outright, as i'm vegan. i just don't like rice milk or oat milk in my coffee as it coagulates.

@tigerrouge: i'm a guy and there is alot of speculation of the affects of too much soy, there are pros and cons but i guess moderation is key.

11-04-2010
rising star

^It contains plant oestrogens which damage mens fertility. It's in most processed foods anyway apparently.
Another reason to avoid it is that they are cutting down vast amounts of rainforest for soya farms.

11-04-2010
oh! darling

I have never liked the taste or texture of soy milk. It's way too thick. I prefer rice milk, then almond milk.

you set the scene

Has anyone here had issues with feeling kind of "light" and unsatisfied with food after becoming vegan/vegetarian? It's been a while for me now, being vegan I mean, and although I eat plenty of foods that should be filling-- beans, whole grains, lots of veggies-- I find myself missing animal foods just because they're more satisfying and I don't get hungry again too quickly. I'm not interested in adding back meat or cheese, etc., they really don't appeal to me at all, but does anyone get where I'm coming from?

24-04-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXOskeleton View Post
@Eimii: outright, as i'm vegan. i just don't like rice milk or oat milk in my coffee as it coagulates.

@tigerrouge: i'm a guy and there is alot of speculation of the affects of too much soy, there are pros and cons but i guess moderation is key.
honestly I doubt that the amount one uses for coffee can harm you even on a daily base. it's probably less than typical processed food contains - and as you're vegan I guess you don't eat that anyway As long as you don't eat additionally tofu each day you should be fine It isn't scientifically proven that the plant oestrogens harm mens fertility, the studies are not clear enough (and indicate you need really high amounts of soy to achieve that), but I guess a varied and balanced diet is always recommendable.

and although I am concerned about the rainforest as well, one should not forget that the vast majority of soy planted there is used for animal food, then a small amount is used for bio-fuel and then soy-food-products, if I'm not mistaken. And there are brands who produce soy-products which do not harm the rainforest, with a little effort you can find out where they get they're soy from. For Germany/Austria the soy milk from DM is alright

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique View Post
Has anyone here had issues with feeling kind of "light" and unsatisfied with food after becoming vegan/vegetarian? It's been a while for me now, being vegan I mean, and although I eat plenty of foods that should be filling-- beans, whole grains, lots of veggies-- I find myself missing animal foods just because they're more satisfying and I don't get hungry again too quickly. I'm not interested in adding back meat or cheese, etc., they really don't appeal to me at all, but does anyone get where I'm coming from?
yes!!! I was totally like that hehe I wish I could give you some tipp, apart from snacking more often. But this feeling disappeared after quite some time by itself.

tfs star

The only times I've had issues with feeling light with food are family gatherings when there are barely any options. It sucks.

27-04-2010
front row

You can pick up egg replacer in the heal food isle of most supermarkets. You can't eat it like you would scrambled eggs but it's perfect for baking.

02-05-2010
front row

Great thread!
I was vegan for a year and vegetarian for 2 before that then health reasons caught up to me and i got rather sick as i physically cant consume enough protein and calories to maintain my weight ( i dont eat wheat, gluten or rice either or any carbohydrate or un-natural sugars and soy if i can help it) so my doctor has made me start having higher amounts of protein, we compromised and i now eat fresh atlantic salmon everyday (thanks to my very indulgent mother) but i still eat like a full vegan (with the added fish)
i love rice milk and almond milk, then oat milk. i use soy as a last resort as it is proven that soy is not as good for you as other alternatives.
Today i just discovered this AMAZING seed mix which is fantastic as my body has trouble processing nuts, its packed full of every kind of raw seed (the rawness is important as the enzymes are still active then) and is full of protein
Another thing i discovered while trying to gain some weight is when i have my protein shakes to make them taste really good (great if you hate the taste like so many people do) is just have a frozen banana or frozen mixed berries, rice or almond milk and vanilla protein powder, its amazing and tastes better than any dairy smoothie ive ever had!

02-05-2010
V.I.P.

How does not eating meat become better for the skin? Why would it get clearer?

02-05-2010
front row

My reasons for becoming vegetarian were:

1. Ethical: I don't want to eat something that has been tortured, electrocuted or punished during its whole life to life in a severely overcrowded shelter just for me to eat it. It's all about karma. And quality: we are what we eat.

2. Today's farming methods: I don't think it's healthy to eat chicken that due to the lack of space grows deformed and is forced to grow quickly by hormones. When I learnt about this, I took the decision to only eat free range, organic chicken - after some time, I started not liking the taste of chicken and decided to completely rule it out of my diet.

3. Health: I feel so much better when I don't eat meat.

4. Poverty, climate change and sustainable development: if humans ate all the food that is given to animals and drunk all the water they consume we could erradicate hunger and children death because of no resources, for example in Africa. Moreover, producing meat creates a huge quantity of CO2 - contributing to climate change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcottmanor View Post
It's a little pricey but Stella MCcartney doesn't use any animal products in her clothes and I believe they're all eco friendly too. I wish more people would do that. I'm glad H&M are using recycled fabrics for their new items. And they actually look great!
I was very proud of Stella and her brand. She really is one step ahead and I'm glad she has such an influence in fashion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian