How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-07-2013
trendsetter

I prefer rice milk, but oat one si great as well.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

23-07-2013
Blood On The Leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
For health reasons I have to cut back on dairy, but I'm quite attached to milk in my coffee. What is your favorite substitute for milk when drinking coffee?

I'm not a big fan of soymilk (at least not the one they use at Starbucks), so I've tried rice milk and it surprised me. It looked very watery to me, but it tastes creamy.
I wanna try almond milk as well, but my local supermarket only carries one that has loads of sugar. There are two organic stores nearby, I guess I'll have more luck there.
Rice milk is high in carbohydrates (=sugar). My favorite substitute for milk is this almond milk (sugar free):

GOODNESSDIRECT.CO.UK

24-07-2013
tfs star

has anyone tried doing your own milk at home? like out of rice, oat, almond or soy? tomorrow i'll try to make oat milk, so wish me luck that it delivers a nice a tasty product

24-07-2013
Fashion Designer

I've made rice milk practically my whole life. It's needed to prepare Agua de Horchata, and it's really nice. I like it so much more than Almond milk, but I haven't tried the store-bought version.

Last edited by daniellat; 24-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.
25-07-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz2992 View Post
has anyone tried doing your own milk at home? like out of rice, oat, almond or soy? tomorrow i'll try to make oat milk, so wish me luck that it delivers a nice a tasty product
Was it good? Was it hard to make?

30-07-2013
trendsetter

I've made my own oat milk before, see upthread.

V.I.P.

Waking this thread up! I wanted to go vegan for a long time and I finally decided on it about a month ago. The most surprising thing for me is how little I miss cheese and chicken. (I was never a fan of milk or eggs, almost never ate red meat or fish).
For now I am only worried of getting enough vitamins etc. without taking any supplements and also dealing with family & friends asking ''WHERE WILL I GET MY PROTEIN''? God, if I hear this one more time...
If I eat fruits, veggies and legumes almost every day will I need supplements? Of course there are starch filled days but I aim for 5 servings of fruits/vegs/legumes per day.
I think I'll be ok right?!
Any recommendations for a newbie would be great!

21-11-2013
V.I.P.

a great protein source are beans. like black beans. or tofu. I highly doubt you will have trouble with getting enough protein. but vitamin b12 / cobalamin could be hard to get as it is only an animal vitamin (if the world is correct). But that is for example in (german) soy milk (I am not sure if it´s in soy milk everywhere as it´s a supplement) or energy drinks.

Blood On The Leaves

^B12 is a micro-organism and our body CAN absorb it even if it doesn't come from animals or animal products.
http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...ition/b12.aspx

Melfreya check out this page for more info on proteins.

21-11-2013
trendsetter

I've been doing a lot of research lately on what vegetables cause digestion problems, sometimes I think I eat too much fiber is that possible? I love fiber

trendsetter

I was veggie for ten years and then started eating some chicken and fish again. I have to be honest, I wish I didn't, but I feel SO much better/more energetic eating a little meat. I prefer it to eating dairy, actually. I was very very careful about eating lots of beans and whole grains and leafy greens for my protein, and taking supplements, etc, so I don't know why. Melfreya, if you feel off/tired at all, or even before you do, I suggest you get your blood checked for your vitamins and minerals. I wouldn't go back to being veggie for now, because I travel too much to odd places for work and too often it's eat meat or starve.

21-11-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
I was veggie for ten years and then started eating some chicken and fish again. I have to be honest, I wish I didn't, but I feel SO much better/more energetic eating a little meat. I prefer it to eating dairy, actually. I was very very careful about eating lots of beans and whole grains and leafy greens for my protein, and taking supplements, etc, so I don't know why. Melfreya, if you feel off/tired at all, or even before you do, I suggest you get your blood checked for your vitamins and minerals. I wouldn't go back to being veggie for now, because I travel too much to odd places for work and too often it's eat meat or starve.
As an omnivore, I do think you have to listen to your body and eat what's right for you. I think eating meat only in moderation still helps (from an ethical perspective) ... everything helps.

I know people who've completed eliminated plastic from their lives (really darn difficult) ... I don't plan to do that, but I have cut back. Recently I've been making an effort not to use plastic storage and produce bags.

I'm off to eat a vegetarian dinner, as I did last night

22-11-2013
V.I.P.

I truly cannot thank you all enough for your suggestions and help!!
I will look into a vegan multivitamin, just to cover my basics and be on the safe side as far as B12 is concerned!

03-07-2014
fashion icon

Guys, I just had a marshmallow for the first time in four years! And it was just heavenly. I've avoided them because of the gelatin in most marshmallows but my sister and I found vegan ones and we just about freaked out in Whole Foods. It's funny the things you miss when you give up eating something (or cannot eat it), makes you appreciate the things you can eat even more. And when you find an adequate substitute it takes all your will power not to eat the whole bag in one sitting!

Power to the 99%

^ Yay! I don't have them too often, because once you have artisanal ones, the stale ones in the store are meh. I know you can make the gelatin ones at home ... wonder if there's a vegan recipe?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian