How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-06-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXOskeleton View Post
all i've been eating lately is brown rice. yesterday was half rice half lentils, today it was half rice half millet haha gotta love being poor.

recipe? i do make this bean burger recipe alot, and change the bean/grain/flavourings to what i have/feel like:
http://sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/200...uinoa-burgers/
haha that's one of my fav meals

16-06-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimii View Post
The breakfast suggestions sound great! Belowen I'm going to try overnight oatmeal, and I have heard amazing things about almond milk!

Do you guys have any suggestions about Vegan cafes/restaurants in Paris? Or just somewhere that could cater for Vegans! I'm visiting for a week at the end of July and am a little worried about finding great places
I used this website before I went in February:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/paris/

Really useful, great key and loads of restaurants. I'm only vegetarian though, but most of those listed are vegan-friendly

you set the scene

Has anyone here ever tried WildWood sprouted tofu? It's amazing! I get the superfirm kind and it's absolutely perfect for stir-fries and marinades-- good and dense and doesn't fall apart. And the flavor is miles better than Nasoya or even the Whole Foods brand.

08-07-2010
V.I.P.

So I bought Alicia Silverstone's book the Kind Diet and I must say at first, I was really scared about going vegan but so far I have made (and tried) her Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, Artichoke Dip and Sauteed Collard Greens with Pine Nuts and Raisins. And all I have to say is...YUM!

If going vegan is going to taste this good then I'm switching teams right now and even if it means giving up my Swedish Fish candies for now...You all have to try Alicia's recipes, they're fantastic!

oh! darling

^ That sounds lovely!

It has taken my body some getting used to when I became vegan, but I think it's starting to get into the swing of things. Six months have passed, and I feel awesome! My diet is filled with more fruits and veggies, and it makes me very aware of what I'm eating and it feels rejuvenating!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
^ That sounds lovely!

It has taken my body some getting used to when I became vegan, but I think it's starting to get into the swing of things. Six months have passed, and I feel awesome! My diet is filled with more fruits and veggies, and it makes me very aware of what I'm eating and it feels rejuvenating!
Thanks I was practically vegetarian before, except for the occasional sushi dinner...but now tasting Alicia's recipes, I don't think I will miss sushi all that much. Plus she's not super strict about it, she says she even slips sometimes and has a piece of cheese. But I'm trying all this great new stuff and it's just so good!

I am happy to hear you are feeling good on the plan, I already feel pretty good too but if it gets better than this and tastes just as great I will be in heaven. Oh and if you only try one thing, try the peanut butter cups, they're delicious!

oh! darling

Quote:
she says she even slips sometimes and has a piece of cheese.
I suppose I can excuse a slip-up, but I was under the impression that it was the principle of the matter: that we do not support the unethical treatment of animals and their products to produce our foods. I have slipped up twice so far: (1) eating gelatin, but I was drunk so I wasn't thinking, and (2) having a car bomb. (I didn't put two and two together before I chugged the car bomb.)

Thoughts?

V.I.P.

Quote:
I suppose I can excuse a slip-up, but I was under the impression that it was the principle of the matter: that we do not support the unethical treatment of animals and their products to produce our foods. I have slipped up twice so far: (1) eating gelatin, but I was drunk so I wasn't thinking, and (2) having a car bomb. (I didn't put two and two together before I chugged the car bomb.)

Thoughts?
I know I was also shocked about hearing her say this, because she goes on and on about how the "nasty" foods are inhumane and horrible to our environment and bodies. But she said she does do it without thinking at times and instead of beating herself up about it she makes a plan to be more careful next time. We all have slip ups on things we're trying to quit and although I know it's the principal, I don't think we should torture ourselves or other people over it.

Life is about making mistakes and learning from them...we're learning new things and trying to be better people everyday, that's what life is about to me so if I make a mistake then so be it, the important thing is you learn from it and try not to do it again. Some people may not share this opinion but it's just my 2 cents.

oh! darling

Thank you for your 2 cents!

I really respect those that respect where our food comes from. I have a friend who isn't vegetarian, but he always makes a conscious effort to be thankful for his food and how it happened to end up on his plate. Sure, kinda silly but I'd like to see that more often.

Chipotle is really stepping forward with their "Food With Integrity" direction. I wish there was more of that around.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Thank you for your 2 cents!

I really respect those that respect where our food comes from. I have a friend who isn't vegetarian, but he always makes a conscious effort to be thankful for his food and how it happened to end up on his plate. Sure, kinda silly but I'd like to see that more often.

Chipotle is really stepping forward with their "Food With Integrity" direction. I wish there was more of that around.
I agree, we shouldn't take others being killed for our own purposes "lightly" either. That's why I first stopped with red meat about 4 years ago. I couldn't handle how the cows were treated and killed. I soon dropped all meat (except fish) a couple years after.

I think your friend has a great attitude toward his food. I think more people should be like that too.

What exactly is Chipolte doing?

oh! darling

Fast Food Nation was the reason I stopped eating meat. Sure, it's only a movie but I think it's a fairly realistic cinematic interpretation of what's happening in slaughter houses in the US.

Quote:
What exactly is Chipolte doing?

chipotle.com

Excerpted from the website:

Quote:
It means serving the very best sustainably raised food possible with an eye to great taste, great nutrition and great value. It means that we support and sustain family farmers who respect the land and the animals in their care. It means that whenever possible we use meat from animals raised without the use of antibiotics or added hormones. And it means that we source organic and local produce when practical. And that we use dairy from cows raised without the use of synthetic hormones. Food With Integrity is a journey that started more than a decade ago and one that will never end.
Read up on it here! I really respect a fairly major "fast-food" chain taking an initiative to be more aware of their food and how it ends up in the bellies of consumers. So, even if we don't care where our food comes from, the producers do and they do it with integrity which is very respectable.

you set the scene

^What's also amazing about Chipotle is that they are totally okay with prices being a bit higher than you'd find at some cheapy place like Taco Bueno , and so are their customers. They aren't preachy, they just take a good approach and people have responded to it.

09-07-2010
oh! darling

Quote:
We decided long ago that we didn't want Chipotle's success to be tied to the exploitation of animals, farmers, or the environment, but the engagement of our customers.
—Steve Ells
happynews.com

V.I.P.

^ Totally cool! I am glad that they're taking a stand on these issues concerning animals and food. They will be better off in the long run for it, I hope that other companies will follow suit.

And I read Fast Food Nation too, I think it's a good representation of whats going on in the food industry too. More people should read it.

oh! darling

I actually saw the movie rather than read the book. I don't do a lot of reading AT ALL. But I am intrigued by the movies Netflix has up; there are quite a few food titles I am interested in watching soon.

I wish I cared more about my nutrition as a vegan. I'm kind of lazy about making sure I have all my vitamins/minerals/calories/etc. for the day. My main focus is to stay full. I hear that it is useless to try and take a vitamin supplement. (I think I went over this with cestmagique once upon a time.)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian