How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-07-2010
oh! darling

Apple pie is to me. Cashew Cookie is

I didn't like the PBJ one as much. Tropical Fruit is atrocious. DISGUSTING.

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

I like the cashew cookie too, I also like the coconut cream pie and I have yet to try the German Chocolate Cake one but it sounds delicious. The PB and J one was ok...I haven't tried the tropical fruit yet.

V.I.P.

I'm working on becoming a vegetarian. I've only ate poultry and fish for the past 8 years and I've tried going full-vegetarian off and on. But I always get really malnourished, so I have to start eating chicken/fish again.

Does anyone have any tips on how to become full vegetarian? It's something I really really want to do, but it's really hard. Especially when it comes to eating out.

15-07-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
I'm working on becoming a vegetarian. I've only ate poultry and fish for the past 8 years and I've tried going full-vegetarian off and on. But I always get really malnourished, so I have to start eating chicken/fish again.

Does anyone have any tips on how to become full vegetarian? It's something I really really want to do, but it's really hard. Especially when it comes to eating out.
It's strange that you became malnourished so quickly. I've been a vegetarian for almost twelve years and the worst I've gotten is a bit iron deficient.

There are always supplements and vitamins to be had, but I've found the best thing to do is make sure you're eating as many different (and colorful!) foods as possible. It's important to have variety, if not for boredom than certainly for nutrition.

I don't really have many suggestions for eating out as I tend not to. There's like one designated vegetarian/vegan restaurant in my city. I'd say that, when in doubt, ask the server and stick with your gut. After a while, you can usually smell when something has meat in it, anyway.

V.I.P.

@Kosmonaut: I don't know if I was malnourished (that's a slight exaggeration), but I would just get really tired and had issues focusing in class (I'm a college student). I wasn't eating a variety of colorful foods like you said. I was mainly just feasting on Ramen noodles, french fries, yogurt, various fruits, steamed vegetables, salads, and that's about it. So, I never really felt full. If that makes sense?

Plus, I'm from the deep south where they look at you like you're crazy if you mention not eating meat. So, it's really hard to stick with it, especially when you're starving.

I have started taking a multi-vitamin, so I'm sure that will make the transition a little easier.

But thanks, for your help.

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
@Kosmonaut: I don't know if I was malnourished (that's a slight exaggeration), but I would just get really tired and had issues focusing in class (I'm a college student). I wasn't eating a variety of colorful foods like you said. I was mainly just feasting on Ramen noodles, french fries, yogurt, various fruits, steamed vegetables, salads, and that's about it. So, I never really felt full. If that makes sense?

Plus, I'm from the deep south where they look at you like you're crazy if you mention not eating meat. So, it's really hard to stick with it, especially when you're starving.

I have started taking a multi-vitamin, so I'm sure that will make the transition a little easier.

But thanks, for your help.
Maybe the problem is fiber...you aren't getting enough of it? Try to eat more beans, legumes and brown rice. It should keep you fuller longer and is easy on your body.

I can sympathize with you on when other people think your crazy for not eating meat. My whole family was like that at first, they'd even tease me a lot. I just think of all the bad stuff meat, dairy, sugar etc does to my body and I forget about it.

You might want to check out Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet book, it helped me a lot to turn from vegetarian to Vegan. She has such a sweet way of talking and explaining the health benefits of a plant based diet. She also isn't preachy about the nasty food such as meat, diary and processed sugar. She also has a great idea of "flirty" with being a vegan, you can choose a couple recipes and test them out. It's a great book, I highly recommend it. I've tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, The Bean, Guacamole Dip and The Sicilian Collard Greens with Raisins and Pine Nuts. They're all delicious! Let me know if you try it and if it works out for you.

V.I.P.

Love these websites:

1. http://wildethings.org/about

2. http://littlehouseofveggies.blogspot.com/

V.I.P.

^^Awesome! Fiber probably is my issue. I never get enough of it.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm definitely going to read Alicia's book. It sounds great.
Those recipes all sound really yummy.

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

Oh they are! You'll be addicted like me pretty soon. Ya, fiber is an awesome thing, nuts are a really good source of fiber too. Whole Foods has tons of mixed nuts and they're so good. You should try those is you have one in your area. You're welcome about the info, I hope you find what you're looking for and a better way to eat/live, I think you'll feel so much better after you do.

BTW you should try Alicia's Pumpkin Bread, that is awesome too. If I get time I will post the recipe so you can try it Keep up the good work girl!

fashion insider

^ I just made Alicia's Peanut Butter Cups; they're so yummy!

V.I.P.

^YA!!! Aren't they? I have one left...I think I might sneak it away tonight...

I'm going to make Alicia's Crispy, chocolate, peanut butter treats tonight (if I get home at a decent hour). They sound really good. I'll let you know how they come out.

front row

I actually saw the recipe when you posted it, Ashcottmanor, and printed it out. It's on my weekend to-try list.
Quote:
Plus, I'm from the deep south where they look at you like you're crazy if you mention not eating meat.
I'm from Texas, so I completely understand. People literally go on the defensive the second they find out. It's rather annoying. And I can't even complain about being tired anymore because everyone's constantly telling me it's due to lack of protein.

Fiber is pretty important, as well as protein. I'm a big soy person. But I eat almonds like they're going out of style, too. It was really hard for me to start eating enough vegetables, but once I did I found I actually enjoyed them. It's funny, because people assume that, once you go vegetarian, you'll lose weight. In actuality, a lot of new vegetarians simply resort to pasta, cheese, potatoes, etc. It takes a while to get a hold of your nutrition, but it's completely worth it.

V.I.P.

^ I can identify with that too. When I went to Nashville years ago (I wasn't a vegetarian then) but I ordered a Turkey sandwich with no mayo just mustard and the girl repeated the order back to me three times and then said "Are you sure?" I felt like an alien... healthy eating and especially vegan/vegetarianism isn't usually encouraged or really accepted in the South but I think some southern states are getting better about it. I mean look at Mississippi, isn't that the most obese state in the country? Or did Alabama pass them up already.
I see a lot of what you're saying about "new" vegetarians too, my friend is like that. All she eats is pasta, rice, bread, cheese, all the fatty stuff maybe a salad here and there. She doesn't have a clue about the nutritional side of it yet. It's so important to learn that when you start out as a vegetarian/vegan.

tfs star

That makes me glad I live in NY. I would not fit in there, even if I actually still ate meat.

16-07-2010
V.I.P.

Ok, here is the Pumpkin Bread recipe from Alicia Silverstone's book. If you live alone or have a small family you might want to split the recipe in half because it makes 3 loafs. To me, that's a hell of a lot of bread but if you can handle it, then by all means...keep it and enjoy!

Sevres 8-10 (generously)
Ingredients:
5 cups cooked or can pumpkin
2 cups maple sugar
2 "eggs"; either 2 tablespoons flax seeds pureed with 6 tablespoons water or 2 eggs worth of eggs re-placer. (I used mashed bananas)
1 cup almond or other nut milk
3/4 cup safflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups spelt flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
1 cup whole macadamia nuts (save a little bit of chocolate and nuts to sprinkle on top at end, if you want)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil two 9"x5" glass loaf pans
Combine the pumpkin puree, sugar, "eggs", milk, oil, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and most of the chocolate chips and nuts if reserving some to sprinkle on top. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined.
Fill the prepared pans with the batter. Top with the reserved chocolate chips and nuts. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the top springs up when pressed with a finger.
Let the loaves cool in the pans for a few minutes, then turn out onto a baking rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, thread, vegan, vegetarian