How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-06-2011
backstage pass

I have the same problem: I cannot figure out what tone I am. Then I stumbled upon this whole colour theory thing of how people can be warm/cool and be either spring, summer, autumn or winter based on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour. Each of the eight types has its own colour palette for clothing, make-up, jewellery and hair dyes that will flatter them and really make them `glow'. Still haven't figured out what on earth I am. All I know is I can't go wrong with red and dark and muddy colours such as navy, dark browns and greens really do not flatter me at all. Also, I've always felt silver jewellery looks much better on me than gold. Then I bought silver eyeliner and it looked odd. So I'm completely confused.

09-06-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissablekae View Post
but i think in terms of orangey bronze shadow, i like it more on blue/green eyes than brown because it brings out the color more. unless the brown eyes are very golden then i think it works better but this is not about skintone so much.
I've golden/hazel eyes and bronze eyeshadow really brings out the color, I love mac's woodwinked on my eyes and teddy eye pencil on the waterline

Nic from pixiwoo talked about skin tones in this video

V.I.P.

Can you tell someone's tones just by looking @ the colour of their skin?
I have the same skintone to Vanessa Hudgens- maybe a tad lighter, but still olive....

i THINK i have yellow undertones, but i could be way off,haha.

09-06-2011
tfs star

yes. if you are anything like vanessa in skin tone you are warm toned. more people are warm with yellow tones than cool with pink undertones. if you are unsure in terms of foundation it is always best to go with a shade that leans more yellow than pink as pink can look very odd and make warm tones look ashy.

Last edited by tifa; 09-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
09-06-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange View Post
I have the same problem: I cannot figure out what tone I am. Then I stumbled upon this whole colour theory thing of how people can be warm/cool and be either spring, summer, autumn or winter based on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour. Each of the eight types has its own colour palette for clothing, make-up, jewellery and hair dyes that will flatter them and really make them `glow'. Still haven't figured out what on earth I am. All I know is I can't go wrong with red and dark and muddy colours such as navy, dark browns and greens really do not flatter me at all. Also, I've always felt silver jewellery looks much better on me than gold. Then I bought silver eyeliner and it looked odd. So I'm completely confused.
what colours suit you can depend on the time of year and the changes that brings to your skin tone, as well as your hair colour. look at someone like evan rachel wood. she is definitely a cool tone but she is able to change how that cool tone looks. when she is a honey blonde colour with a tan it gives her a warm look, even though she is cool toned. yet when she goes with red or black hair it brings out her cool tones.

09-06-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
I doubt it. I'm very yellow, and I'm European.
oh no, i didn't mean to say that all europeans are pink. i meant that the pinkness i have comes from my european side, as all the people on that side of my family have really fair, rosy pink-toned skin.

Free Spirit | Wild Heart

Eurasian Melange, you sound like you'd be cool tone to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Me View Post
I've golden/hazel eyes and bronze eyeshadow really brings out the color, I love mac's woodwinked on my eyes and teddy eye pencil on the waterline
oh i forgot about hazel! it sounds so pretty and MAC Teddy eye kohl used to be my favorite for years, gorgeous!

speak of hair, i have light golden brown hair at the moment. i still wear the same makeup as before, mostly cool toned and it works because i don't think the gold tones i have is too overpowering. but yes hair can definitely change up your look like Tifa said.

Last edited by kissablekae; 09-06-2011 at 04:35 PM.
10-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifa View Post
yes. if you are anything like vanessa in skin tone you are warm toned. more people are warm with yellow tones than cool with pink undertones. if you are unsure in terms of foundation it is always best to go with a shade that leans more yellow than pink as pink can look very odd and make warm tones look ashy.
Thankyouuu (:

10-06-2011
fashion icon

Okay so I've never been able to figure out if I'm warm or cool- and it's always bugged me. So perhaps some lovely TFSers could help me? I have hazel eyes, blondish red hair, and I would classify myself as someone who turns pink a lot (from blushing and it looks like I have a pink undertone). I have rather light skin- with mostly Irish and Polish ancestry. And I normally wear silver jewelry (not a fan of how gold looks on my skin). So any ideas of what skin tone I am? Thanks

In Bloom

^Your hair and eye colour have nothing at all to do with your skin tone. The only way to judge is a pic. The thing is that lighting can be tricky...

we were in love

11-06-2011
tfs star

yes. lighting makes most people look yellow toned. best way to tell is take a pic without flash in daylight, but not harsh sunlight.

11-06-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
^Your hair and eye colour have nothing at all to do with your skin tone. The only way to judge is a pic. The thing is that lighting can be tricky...
Ahh... okay... now I feel a bit silly! But thank you for letting me know. I was looking a bit more and it seems like I have a bit of a yellowish undertone in the sunlight although with a rosy complexion.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Ahh... okay... now I feel a bit silly! But thank you for letting me know. I was looking a bit more and it seems like I have a bit of a yellowish undertone in the sunlight although with a rosy complexion.
It really is tricky... I should be pink-toned (being Scandinavian and all), but I'm seriously yellow My natural hair colour is cool, so I dye it slightly warmer... And the thing is that redness, broken veins and such things can make your skin appear rosy or pink even though it actually isn't

we were in love

12-06-2011
fashion icon

^ Yeah it's super tricky... I guess I'm still confused to as to what skin tone I am. Ahh well...

don't look down

When it comes to finding what suits me, I get those colour booklets from the local paint store, and hold them up against my skin, and the wide range of shades gives me an idea of what particular type of red/blue/etc makes me look better.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cool, skin, tone, warm