How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange View Post
I have the same problem: I cannot figure out what tone I am. Then I stumbled upon this whole colour theory thing of how people can be warm/cool and be either spring, summer, autumn or winter based on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour. Each of the eight types has its own colour palette for clothing, make-up, jewellery and hair dyes that will flatter them and really make them `glow'. Still haven't figured out what on earth I am. All I know is I can't go wrong with red and dark and muddy colours such as navy, dark browns and greens really do not flatter me at all. Also, I've always felt silver jewellery looks much better on me than gold. Then I bought silver eyeliner and it looked odd. So I'm completely confused.
I'm a cool winter . It's really worth getting this done with a professional image consultant if you're not sure what you are. An employer sent me off to get sorted out years ago...must have been pretty bad but it's saved me an absolute fortune in the long run (clothes, jewellery, make-up, hair...).

21-06-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange View Post
I have the same problem: I cannot figure out what tone I am. Then I stumbled upon this whole colour theory thing of how people can be warm/cool and be either spring, summer, autumn or winter based on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour. Each of the eight types has its own colour palette for clothing, make-up, jewellery and hair dyes that will flatter them and really make them `glow'. Still haven't figured out what on earth I am. All I know is I can't go wrong with red and dark and muddy colours such as navy, dark browns and greens really do not flatter me at all. Also, I've always felt silver jewellery looks much better on me than gold. Then I bought silver eyeliner and it looked odd. So I'm completely confused.
Have you tried the original Color Me Beautiful book? It does a really good job of explaining how to figure it out, and has an exhaustive list of eye colors, etc. I have not heard about the warm/cool thing, but I'm glad they finally figured that out I am a cool Autumn.

Have you considered that silver eyeliner probably looks odd on everyone but a few models?

What kind of red is it that you can't go wrong with?

PS Silver eyeshadow is great with my brown eyes, but silver is *not* my preferred jewelry color (rose gold is).

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 21-06-2011 at 09:47 PM.
22-06-2011
backstage pass

Thanks so much for all the responses! I had been thinking of the Color Me Beautiful book before, but wasn't sure if it would deliver or if I would end up wasting my time. Though, from the sounds of it, I could save a lot of time (and money) if I do take a look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Have you considered that silver eyeliner probably looks odd on everyone but a few models?
I saw it on an average person in a supermarket (looked amazing), did a little looking around online and saw several women of similar colouring to me wearing it and it looked great, so I thought I would give it a try. Though maybe my slight tan is throwing it off, since most of the women were pale.

Quote:
What kind of red is it that you can't go wrong with?
Bright, vivid red. I can go towards more pinkish reds too, but not so much the orange ones.

Power to the 99%

^ Those reds would indicate you have cool coloring (plus the silver jewelry) ...

23-06-2011
tfs star

supposedly everyone looks good in a true red regardless of their undertone but even after reading beauty articles for the majority of my life and working in cosmetics i can't say for certain i'v ever found a true red or know how to definitively id a true red

the whole color palette concept reminds me of Beauty for All Seasons in the 90s; anyone remember that? i thought it was terribly glamorous at the time when my mum had a personal consultation done to get color matched. she even got the fabric color swatch fan thing that folded up with all of the colors that suited her skin based on her "season."

tfs star

here's a nice visual representation of warm vs cool:

threecustom.com

Power to the 99%

^ How interesting! Thanks for posting.

30-06-2011
In Bloom

The thing about tanning/turning red and of course the veins...it's BS, I'm sorry. It has nothing to do with your skin tone. It's all decided by the amount/lack of yellow pigment in your skin. Your veins or how you tan tell you nothing about that.

we were in love

01-07-2011
Power to the 99%

I haven't scrutinized my veins because I already know darn well that my skin is fair and cool. But the sun part is definitely true for me. I burn fairly easily and basically don't tan at all unless I'm taking an antibiotic that increases my photosensitivity. And then it's a tan that can be seen only if I take off my watch so the tan line can be observed I do freckle ...

01-07-2011
trendsetter

My veins are a lovely gradation of purple, mauve and turquoise....

I think you just have to know what colors suit you by using your own eyes.

Color analysis charts can lead you in a general direction, but unless you're lucky enough to find a "season" that suits you to a tee, there could be half the colors in your purported "season/s" that do NOT suit you.

I know that my best foundation color is pale yellow ochre, lipstick deep burgundy or cherry. For clothes, faded antique pastels or deep jewel tones are best. Gray and navy and red and electric blue are great, but neither black nor pure white nor fuschia work...
Oyster and olive and terracotta and champagne gold are wonderful, but neither orange, camel, khaki nor true gold...
Pewter or burnished gold are best for jewelry.

Nochart would fit that description so I just gave up and go by my own.

Last edited by Melisande; 01-07-2011 at 08:50 PM.
02-07-2011
tfs star

tbh, i think the whole vein thing is hogwash but the visuals are much more helpful, you know the old adage about pictures...

the colors i wear are based on personal preference; i avoid chalky pink lippies cuz i find them tacky & some what repulsive as well as cool-toned lippies or blush which i find deadens me.

rather i go for warm-toned colors on my face such as copper/red/browns on eyes (really makes brown eyes pop), non-orangey blusher that give definition and orange-y burgandys on the lips etc. pretty much whatever brightens the complexion and makes me look more rested. clothes i'm all over the board but i adore color and wear it almost everyday. it's all about experimentation and what one feels good wearing.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I haven't scrutinized my veins because I already know darn well that my skin is fair and cool. But the sun part is definitely true for me. I burn fairly easily and basically don't tan at all unless I'm taking an antibiotic that increases my photosensitivity. And then it's a tan that can be seen only if I take off my watch so the tan line can be observed I do freckle ...
I'm fair and cool too (I think - I'm very yellow anyway ), and I tan really fast. I turn more yellow than actually tan though And I freckle too! Just on the nose though.

we were in love

02-07-2011
Power to the 99%

^ I think yellow would be warm ... that's how MAC does it anyway. My skin undertone is pink ...

There are so many variations in coloring that it would be impossible for either 4 or 8 palettes to work for everyone ... there are certain colors that I know don't work on me, but others I'm really not sure because I hate the color to begin with A lot of greens I find so ugly, including the one three different people wore to work yesterday. They all would have looked better in something else as far as I'm concerned Some of it is objective and some a matter of taste, and who knows exactly where the line is ...

02-07-2011
In Bloom

^MAC are the only ones who think yellow is warm, everyone else considers it cool. I think I'm pretty neutral though, most colours suit me. Except purple, I look like a zombie in purple

we were in love

03-07-2011
Power to the 99%

^ Prescriptives classified it the same way. I was blue-red. Pink is a cool color, yellow is a warm one ...

Your overall coloring is cool, though ... your hair and eyes, if I recall, are cool. My coloring is the opposite--cool skin, warm hair and eyes.

Sarah Ferguson is a good example of someone with similar coloring to mine, but warm instead of cool. Which is why the warm color of her wedding gown was perfect for her ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cool, skin, tone, warm