How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2007
scenester

This has happened to me before. I woke up and tried to lift my arm and it just fell on my chest like it was dead. It freaked me out but in a couple of minutes I got the movement back after lots of painful prickles as it came back to life. My mom said it happend to one of her legs. She went to get of bed and fell on the floor because her leg didn't work. I think it's pretty common.

03-04-2007
front row

I've experienced the same thing. I once gave myself a bloody nose with a "dead" arm .

03-04-2007
scenester

This happens to me fairly often. I sleep on my back with my arms up by my head, towards the headboard. I'll frequently wake up, unable to move both arms for several minutes... I hate that feeling!

Also, one time when I was young (about 10) I was in the airport, waiting for a much delayed plane. I had been sitting with my legs crossed for about 2 hours, reading a book. When I went to stand, I immediately fell straight to the floor, unable to put weight on one of my legs! There was a loud pop, and my ankle would eventually swell to about 10x its normal size, the result of a bad sprain. It was such a scary sensation, as there was no normal tingling sensation that accompanies a "sleeping" limb.. I was simply unable to use the leg!

03-04-2007
V.I.P.

This happens when part of your body didn't get easy blood flow and then--suddenly, it's this numbness when the blood starts rushing!

rising star

That has happened to me before. It felt like I had 50 pounds on my arm because I could not move it for the life of me! But I just rubbed it with my other hand and the feeling came back after a few minutes. I'm always scared that one of these times it will stay numb..

& b

omg its the worst feeling, like you can't control it!! Imagine how worse that is, with a charlie horse too.

oh goooddddd!!

fashion icon

This happened to my legs once and I started to scream. But I think it turned out that I was partially asleep and dreaming because when I snapped out of it my husband said that I didn't scream.

Very strange how our mind can play tricks on us sometimes.

Last edited by CelineChic; 04-04-2007 at 07:07 PM.
04-04-2007
V.I.P.

I sometimes experiece sleep paralysis, which feels exactly as the term would suggest: full conciousness coupled with a delayed ability to wake one's body from sleep--or to move, in other words. It's bizarre, and scared me initially, since I believed I was losing my mind until I found a term for my experience. It feels different from being partially asleep and dreaming, because the only thing asleep is one's body, though the two are hard to distinguish when one experiencing sleep paralysis believes s/he is dreaming (as is often the case). Which leads me to believe it's more common than people are aware, since almost everyone has claimed the former at one time...

backstage pass

Okay, thanks for making me feel normal! lol This happenned to me before & I believe I gave myself a mild hearattack from the event. I thought I had a stroke, because I couldn't move only my right arm.

04-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer~
I sometimes experiece sleep paralysis, which feels exactly as the term would suggest: full conciousness coupled with a delayed ability to wake one's body from sleep--or to move, in other words. It's bizarre, and scared me initially, since I believed I was losing my mind until I found a term for my experience. It feels different from being partially asleep and dreaming, because the only thing asleep is one's body, though the two are hard to distinguish when one experiencing sleep paralysis believes s/he is dreaming (as is often the case). Which leads me to believe it's more common than people are aware, since almost everyone has claimed the former at one time...
Hey I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this! It's so freaky - sleep paralysis. You describe exactly what I experience. Usually, it would be something like I'm lying my my side and then I feel like I have turned to the other side. The feeling of having moved is incredibly strong, like it's very real. But the next moment, I realise I'm still lying on the original side. And this will happen repeatedly like a video looping. And it get's extremely frustrating. I used to panic the first few times. I remember the first time... I have fallen asleep lying on my tummy. So can you imagine how scary it is that I could not roll over! And I was alone!

Now that I'm aware of this condition, I just try to relax until my mind and body gets synchronised in being awake. It's still extremely frustrating though!

It usually happens when I'm very very tired and go into a deep sleep.

08-04-2007
V.I.P.

Happens to my feet. But it's more like a spasm or something, they curl and it's so painful to try to move them back in place.

21-04-2007
trendsetter

I have it sometimes as well. Either my hand or my total arm feels rubbery, flabby (almost boneless) and really heavy when I try to lift it with my other hand. I'm glad more people have this problem, cause I'm shocked every time it happens and afraid I will never be able to move it again! It would be really frightening when both your arms get numb ...

22-04-2007
i'm almost ready..

i'm sorry but god this thread is funny....
i have literally laughed out loud reading all of your posts....

this has happened to me a few times too....
and it is terribly scary.....i honestly thought i was paralysed the first time too....
i couldnt figure out what the hell had happened....

and then you lie there afterward, so thankful....
the rest of the morning i walk around thinking 'thank god the feeling came back'.....
nice to know others are experiencing the same thing!....

22-04-2007
trendsetter

A few months ago I used to wake up and couldn't do anything: neither opening my eyes, nor moving any part of my body nor scream for 1-2 minutes. I always thought that this was the time I was going to die, it was really scarying the hell out of me.
When I told my friends and mom they didn't take it serious and thought I was daydreaming but I was definitely not (thanks for posting the sleep paralysis link, jennifer, it is comforting )

As the others already said: I think it's normal what happened to you, this always happens with my leg when I sit on it.

lemeray: that's a cramp

25-04-2007
backstage pass

That happens to me if I sleep in a strange position, and cut off the circulation in whatever limb was unlucky enough to be where it was.

My problem is that I usually discover it without being fully awake yet, so I usually just poke at it with my other hand, and wonder why that limb doesn't work.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
happened, heck, night