What Skin Care / Treatment Did You Buy Today ? #2 - Page 51 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2017
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I find that the most effective remedy is to stop wearing glasses or contact lenses
I don't wear them. But yeah, you're right. People notice way less than one thinks.

05-03-2017
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergreen View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations to shrink the size of pores? Because the ones on my nose are huge.
First let me say I am not a dermatologist or an esthetician, I am trying to figure this out myself, but one big thing before any recommendations; Pore sizes are genetically determined and there are NO OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS THAT CAN SHRINK THEM. Don't despair though, you can make pores less visible by keeping them clean, pores are noticeable when they are not clean.

1. Use cleansers/masks/peels rich in Salicylic Acid. Salicylic acid deep cleans out oil, sebum, and loosens desmosomes that clogs pores.
2. Glycolic acid is another great ingredient to use, it exfoliates dead skin cells away that clog pores.
3. Exfoliate. Exfoliate. Exfoliate. A few times a week you will need something more that just a cleanser to deeply get your skin clean and help with cell turnover.
4. Stay away from comedogenic (clogging) ingredients such as wax, red dyes, most seed oils, coconut oil, avocado oil. Everyone's skin is different, so some will not react to some of these ingredients on their face but the chance they will clog your pores is greater than not.
5. Sunscreen. Yes it is applicable here as well lol. UV damage overtime will enlarge pores by thinning skin and leading to damaged collagen.

I did mention that there are no over the counter products to reduce pore size, but there ARE ways to achieve pore shrinkage if cleansing does not make them unnoticeable as you like.
1. Prescription level Retinoids like Retin A will shrink pores as they shrink oil glands, but while this will do the trick your pores will revert to their natural size once you stop the treatment.
2. For a more permanent fix, you can get non-ablative laser treatmentS.

I know this is a lot of information but I wanted to shoot down the big misconception about "shrinking" pores and also give you some ingredients to look for incase any suggestions here do not work for/available to you.

I use Peter Thomas Roth's Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel, it has both Salicylic and Glycolic acids and the pores on my cheeks are all but unnoticeable since I started using it. I also started exfoliating and making broad spectrum sunscreen an absolute MUST.

Really hope this all helps

tfs star

^ Some really great advices here! I would also add niacinamide to the list. It is an anti-acne and anti-aging ingredient, but most importantly it brightens the skin (blemishes) and cleares the pores, so they appear smaller. You can find it the brand The Ordinary (really cheap) and some other brands. I recently bought an overnight face mask from Mizon that contains a lot of niacinamide too.

You can also use double cleansing method - first some cleansing oil and then a gel cleanser. Clay as a mask helps a lot too.

Last edited by Jinadaze; 06-03-2017 at 11:09 AM.
06-03-2017
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueDisciple93 View Post
First let me say I am not a dermatologist or an esthetician, I am trying to figure this out myself, but one big thing before any recommendations; Pore sizes are genetically determined and there are NO OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS THAT CAN SHRINK THEM. Don't despair though, you can make pores less visible by keeping them clean, pores are noticeable when they are not clean.

1. Use cleansers/masks/peels rich in Salicylic Acid. Salicylic acid deep cleans out oil, sebum, and loosens desmosomes that clogs pores.
2. Glycolic acid is another great ingredient to use, it exfoliates dead skin cells away that clog pores.
3. Exfoliate. Exfoliate. Exfoliate. A few times a week you will need something more that just a cleanser to deeply get your skin clean and help with cell turnover.
4. Stay away from comedogenic (clogging) ingredients such as wax, red dyes, most seed oils, coconut oil, avocado oil. Everyone's skin is different, so some will not react to some of these ingredients on their face but the chance they will clog your pores is greater than not.
5. Sunscreen. Yes it is applicable here as well lol. UV damage overtime will enlarge pores by thinning skin and leading to damaged collagen.

I did mention that there are no over the counter products to reduce pore size, but there ARE ways to achieve pore shrinkage if cleansing does not make them unnoticeable as you like.
1. Prescription level Retinoids like Retin A will shrink pores as they shrink oil glands, but while this will do the trick your pores will revert to their natural size once you stop the treatment.
2. For a more permanent fix, you can get non-ablative laser treatmentS.

I know this is a lot of information but I wanted to shoot down the big misconception about "shrinking" pores and also give you some ingredients to look for incase any suggestions here do not work for/available to you.

I use Peter Thomas Roth's Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel, it has both Salicylic and Glycolic acids and the pores on my cheeks are all but unnoticeable since I started using it. I also started exfoliating and making broad spectrum sunscreen an absolute MUST.

Really hope this all helps
It most definitely did, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed answer. I used to have an exfoliant with salicylic acid but my nose (and the area around it) has rather sensitive skin so it made it red, so I had to throw it away. I already exfoliate and my nose is super smooth but its pores are just as big lol, so I guess the key is probably finding a gentler salicylic acid product.

07-03-2017
V.I.P.

I had a look at The Ordinarys product line today. Well, actually, I checked them out yesterday and have since then spent several hours researching what could be the matter with the products... Apparantely, I have trust issues when it comes to cheap products. Fingers crossed they are not all made using child labour or something...

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 - 3
The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil
The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil

07-03-2017
tfs star

^ Good girl! Hope you'll like the products.

dermae

4 Weeks Ago
tfs star

FINALLY ordered some things from The Ordinary

The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
The Ordinary 100% Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil

3 Weeks Ago
tfs star

Repurchase

projectvanity, feelunique

2 Weeks Ago
tfs star

Repurchase

theordinary

2 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I find that the most effective remedy is to stop wearing glasses or contact lenses

I use the glycolic acid peel from makeup artists choice. It's potent, I find it to be as strong as the peels I've had at my Derm's office. After a peel or two and using the Clarasonic I had invisible pores on my nose and forehead. If you don't want to go such a harsh route you could try their gly-uronic sermon. It's a serum that exfoliates the pores but hydrates and softens. I use that whenever I give my skin breaks from peels.

Btw I'm not affiliated noe sponsored by makeup artists choice, I just happen to like their products a lot

Makeupartistschoice.com

V.I.P.

I picked up a few more things from the Ordinary.

Natural moisturizing factors + HA
Glycolic acid 7% toning solution
Caffeine solution 5% (going by Jinadazes positive reviews I think this product would be great for a relative of mine)
Retinol 1% solution

I tried the retinol cream and I must have rubbed my eyes at one point during the nigth because I somehow got it in my undereye area and now I have to hold something cold to my eyes or they sting

fashion insider

Encouraged by all the positive reviews I read here, I ordered a few things from The Ordinary and started using them last week. I don't have an acne problem that most would characterize as problematic, but I do have an oily forehead and nose and the occasional pimple after a cheat day is inevitable. So I did quite a lot of research and got:

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
High-Adherence Silicone Primer
Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
Argireline Solution 10%

I honestly went into this not expecting magic but that is literally what I got after less than a week. I use the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% in the morning under my Eucerin moisturizer and the Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 at night under my Avene TriAcnéal Expert. Argireline Solution goes on a few annoying fine lines and the Caffeine Solution under my eyes morning and evening. I apply the primer after moisturizing in the morning before I use a bit of concealer.

After eating an enormous amount of food and sugar for Easter, my skin looks like it does on its best days. The Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% seems to prevent any inflammation and I have to say that I'm extremely satisfied with the primer because it keeps me almost oil-free throughout the day. Also the Hyaluronic Acid does a great job at moisturizing - the trick is to apply it on damp skin and immediately lock it with moisturizer. Caffeine Solution seems to be working well too (I believe it's too early for drastic differences though) and the Argireline Solution has already filled out two shallow horizontal lines on my nose that annoyed the hell out of me!

All in all, color me impressed. I seriously did not expect to get these results from a 30 euro purchase.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, buy, care, skin, today, treatment