How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-04-2007
rising star

As earlier poster also said; I believe everything is hit or miss. The first more expensive make-up item i can think of is Dior foundation or if i started with shiseido foundation. Generally i have expensive base and stuff gets cheaper "further out", i.e. no expenses spared on skin-care or foundation/powders etc whereas rouge, lippens/glosses/sticks, colourful eyeshadows and such are a mix of higher end and drugstore brands. Mascara is always YSL though.

I would have turned luxury for YSL faux cils, but alas i already had when we crossed paths.

02-04-2007
V.I.P.

Dior SkinFlash. My Mum always had loads of Rubinstein, Lauder, YSL, Chanel, Guerlain, etc etc in terms of makeup (well, she stopped with most when she got permanent makeup done...), so I was accustomed to high end brands.

Actually, if you think about it, loads of those products can be bought really cheaply. I just bought a sh*tload of makeup, from Lauder lipsticks, to Clinque Foundation, Juicy Tubes and Dior glosses for frikking cheap in HK (and no, SaSa doesn't sell fakes). High end products must not always cost a lot.

Matter of fact, some of that stuff was even cheaper than lowend brands here in Europe (Juicy Tubes for 5 Euros, Lauder Lipsticks for 2, Clinique Foundation for 5 and YSL Kouros for Summer for 15 Euros (100ml)... I mean, COME ON!).

Talking about my first, the SkinFlash, I originally bought it cause I wanted to conceal dark circles on my eyes, but the SA gave me a #1, which was too light to look natural (my eye area ended up looking pinkish/rose, while my skin was tanned). It wasn't until I read in a fashion mag that a bit of really light concealer in the inner eye corner can make your eyes shine, when I started to use it on a semi-regular basis.

02-04-2007
trendsetter

I think it was Chanel Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Ivory. Before that I used a Mary Kay eyeshadow as a highlighter. When I used that once again it looked so fakey. The Chanel just blends right in and truly lights up my eyes. Though it's more likely to fade because it's so very soft.

02-04-2007
rising star

I don't believe that HE is always better... More often when I buy higher end products it's for the packaging as opposed to the actual product itself. And with skincare and such I've found that my skin just doesn't agree with higher end products because a lot have frangrances that irritate my skin.

04-04-2007
front row

oh, i love my nars blushes and MAC eyeshadows!!! but i agree with mingminglei that oftentimes i buy higher end products for the nice packaging, especially lipsticks and lipglosses.

however i prefer using higher end foundations simply because they match my skin better. i still buy drugstore mascaras though, i think some drugstore mascaras are excellent and you're supposed to throw them out every now and then anyway so might as well get cheaper ones right?

05-05-2007
rising star

My mom used to use the Clinique skincare range, and she always bought the products during gift time- lots of goodies like eyeshadows and liners etc!! That, and the fact I have sensitive skin, so I refuse to buy my foundations for drugstores. It could well be a marketing gimmick, but at least I feel more psychologically assured that I wont break out in a rash....

05-05-2007
VSFS 2009!

Sadly enough. I was attracted to expensive make-up due to it's packaging but the colors and the longevity of the products are much different than the drugstore brands

05-05-2007
rising star

Bobbi Brown is fabulous and i loooooove my ysl mascara i will never use anything else!

07-05-2007
trendsetter

m.a.c. studio tech, clinique foundation, m.a.c. lipglass in oh baby, all my urban decay eyeshadows. =] hah.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, makeup, turned