How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-07-2006
trendsetter

^I think you should only take vitamins if you REALLY REALLY need it like if your sick or something...but I take them anyways haha. I've been taking Phyto supplements, they are pretty small compared to the GNC ultra nourish hair. And they smell like coco and it taste kind of sweet because of the soy in it. But I love it because its not so hard to swallow because its like a gel pill like a Nyquill pill but smaller. And I dont know if its just me and im just imagining things but my hair is looking pretty nice and feeling thick from it. My skin is much oily than before and thats because this phyto supplements has a lot of oils in it. but my face is much clearer AND my nails are growing soooo I pretty much like the results from it and its only been a week.

Last edited by Sun_Goddess01; 23-07-2006 at 10:54 PM.

24-07-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Girl
I read an article on the paper yesterday, written by one of the most renowned Brazilian doctors, Dr. Drauzio Varella, and he said that taking vitamin pills is useless! He said all of it is eliminated in our urine, and that our body needs a minimum dose of these vitamins, and taking extra doses really does nothing to us - he called it a waste of time and money.

Really, I was thinking about starting to take vitamins but now that I read it I won't do that... I trust him because 1. he's one of the best physicians and researchers 2. he'd have no reason to publish that article if it wasn't true. Plus it's not like I've never heard anything like it before.

Well I'll do a few exams because I'm a vegan and I might have to take extra vitamins. But I thought it was something I should point out here because I found the article very interesting.
Thanks for that info! I'd like to read that article, do you have a link to it online? (and I do speak/read Portuguese) I believe that the most important source of vitamins is your food and it's nutritional values, so I can definately relate to what this doctor is saying (btw hadn't heard of him, I unfortunately don't follow Brazilian media so much).
I do take an A-Z vitamin anyways though, but I guess I would stop if I found out it was completely useless. At the moment, the jar of vitamins I have seem to smell differently because of the heat here, so I put them in the fridge and don't really know what to do with them now, if it's safe for me to take them - probably not... kind of useless of me, hehe!
But like Sun_Goddess I have also experienced what seemed like positive effects from hair+nail vitamins. I took those for a while, and when I stopped so did the effects.

OT: I like your signature!!! HEXA com certeza!!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes
Thanks for that info! I'd like to read that article, do you have a link to it online? (and I do speak/read Portuguese) I believe that the most important source of vitamins is your food and it's nutritional values, so I can definately relate to what this doctor is saying (btw hadn't heard of him, I unfortunately don't follow Brazilian media so much).
I do take an A-Z vitamin anyways though, but I guess I would stop if I found out it was completely useless. At the moment, the jar of vitamins I have seem to smell differently because of the heat here, so I put them in the fridge and don't really know what to do with them now, if it's safe for me to take them - probably not... kind of useless of me, hehe!
But like Sun_Goddess I have also experienced what seemed like positive effects from hair+nail vitamins. I took those for a while, and when I stopped so did the effects.
Hey!
I couldn't find the article online (and I think my mom threw the paper away, otherwise I'd type it for you) but I did find the Doctor's website where you can find interesting things about the subject:
http://www.drauziovarella.com.br

This interview and this article, both from his website, specifically discuss the matter of vitamins; I'm sure there are others.
There is also this website about a segment Dr. Varella used to have on Brazilian TV show Fantástico called "Vitamins: yes or no?". There's a lot of interesting reading to do there.

Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes
OT: I like your signature!!! HEXA com certeza!!
I sure hope so!

Last edited by Brazilian Girl; 24-07-2006 at 01:09 PM.
27-07-2006
trendsetter

Response to the article
I think maybe the article is not posted in full or he’s assuming the readers general understanding of biology, but for people who just read this article and are planning to stop taking their vitamin regime or whichever, here’s the basic idea. Only access are flushed out of your body through urine, the rest are absorbed in your system. This is why you should always take the recommended amount and not get overzealous and take more. That is when the vitamins are useless and are peed out. They are not a waste of money, if you cannot through the most stringent and proper nutrition take in the daily vitamins, investing in vitamins is probably a good idea.

I take Viactive Multi Vitamins and Calciums in chocolate and rasberry chews.

06-05-2007
rising star

i'm taking Iberet because i have IDA (iron deficiency anemia).

07-05-2007
go red sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateelle
I think maybe the article is not posted in full or he’s assuming the readers general understanding of biology, but for people who just read this article and are planning to stop taking their vitamin regime or whichever, here’s the basic idea. Only access are flushed out of your body through urine, the rest are absorbed in your system. This is why you should always take the recommended amount and not get overzealous and take more. That is when the vitamins are useless and are peed out. They are not a waste of money, if you cannot through the most stringent and proper nutrition take in the daily vitamins, investing in vitamins is probably a good idea.

I take Viactive Multi Vitamins and Calciums in chocolate and rasberry chews.
It's really only excess water-soluble vitamins (C and the B vitamins) that will leave your body through your urine. My nutrition professor says that Americans have the most expensive urine in the world.

Excess vitamins A and D are toxic, so please be very careful when taking these.

Remember, this only applies to supplements. Mother Nature will never steer you wrong.

trendsetter

Evening Primrose Oil
Green & White Tea
Aloe Vera
green vegetable antioxidant
pre-natal
Sheep Placenta Complex (contains collagen, marine protein, royal jelly, vitamin E)

I also do a shot of apple cider vinegar daily

07-05-2007
backstage pass

^ Why the Apple Cider...?
Dr Gupta on Cnn says all you need is a Multi V and Fish Oil
I take a Multi V-food based
and Fish OIL- don't go cheap-I get Ultimate omega the norwegian formula at whole foods!

windowshopping

apple cider vinegar is said to be used for everything from keeping clear skin to detox, to boosting immune systems, to speeding up metabolisms!

it was even used by the ancient egyptians (or say they say)

08-05-2007
go red sox

My nutrition professor also states that taking fish oil supplements is not recommended.
  • May raise LDL (bad) cholesterol.
  • May increase bleeding time.
  • May interfere with wound healing.
  • May suppress immune function.
  • It contains high levels of vitamins A and D, which in excess are toxic.

Power to the 99%

I get those packets from Dr Weil--multivitamins, an antioxidant supplement, and omega 3 capsules, I believe fish oil. He seems to really know what he's doing, so is a source I trust.

08-05-2007
backstage pass

Fish oils thin the blood, that could be the reasoning behind increased bleeding so it's advisable to stop taking them before and operation.

I take Bassetts Chewable Multivitamin and an Omega 3-6-9 Oil.

front row

i only started taking supplements 4 weeks ago...and its an attempt to stop my hair from falling badly (even though i consume dairy products etc)...should i not bother?

04-06-2007
backstage pass

I take evening primrose oil and shark cartillage capsules.
I want to take B-complex and zinc again...

It's all about the hair

backstage pass

ive recently added omega -3 fishoil and sinc supplements in addition to my multivitamin, both are for aiding my skin from acne...fishoil helps the sebum stay soft and oil like, not hard plugs; and zinc is vital for skin healing... looking good

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
vitamins