How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-08-2006
fashion icon

Women wearing men's fragrances
Does anyone think that it is socially unacceptable for a woman to wear a men's cologne?

I've started doing it and I've gotten several compliments. I think that when the fragrance mixes with my skin it becomes somewhat delicate.

Does anyone else do this?

I've been wearing my husbands Chanel Allure, and Issey Miyake cologne.

22-08-2006
trendsetter

I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. If it smells good, wear it.

22-08-2006
leave me with your Borneo

i definitely think they can work well for women! i tend to like heavier fragrances, i'm not into very floral or powdery scents, so men's cologne can smell great on me sometimes. i'm interested in the new men's prada - it's supposed to be amber-based.

22-08-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag
i definitely think they can work well for women! i tend to like heavier fragrances, i'm not into very floral or powdery scents, so men's cologne can smell great on me sometimes. i'm interested in the new men's prada - it's supposed to be amber-based.

Funny you say that because I think that will be my next purchase. It smells great.

22-08-2006
front row

i don't see any problem with it , if you get compliments , why not
btw ragtag , love your av. <3 cat power

22-08-2006
leave me with your Borneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineChic
Funny you say that because I think that will be my next purchase. It smells great.
i thought it smelled great (in the test strip) as well! i'll probably end up getting it - right now i have the prada tendre which is very light and good for day, but i wonder if the two would work well worn together?

and thanks for the avatar compliment, i just love chan marshall, that album and cover image!

22-08-2006
tfs star

i've almost always worn men's cologne-- i wore jp gaultier for men for years cause it's very feminine and vanilla-heavy, and marc jacobs for men because of the jasmine. now I wear l'artisan parfumer-- the peppery ones, which seem pretty unisex.

i first started doing it in high school because i thought my boyfriends smelled so sexy!

23-08-2006
backstage pass

I've defiantly come across occasions where i've wondered off the boundaries of the woman’s perfume aisle and have gotten lost spraying the ends of testers with mens fragrances. I don't buy that much perfume but if i did, i'm pretty sure i would most probably end up purchasing a bottle of mens cologne if i liked it. When i was in Paris at a large department store, i think it was a Giorgio Armani bottle i picked up and was about to pay for until the lady at the counter paused and looked at it to tell me it was actually for men. I really don't think it's unacceptable, and being paid compliments makes it sound that much more reassuring to try.

23-08-2006
front row

i love wearing mens cologne. i love how most of them smell much more fresh rather than floral. Sometimes when i wear womens perfume i feel i smell like my grandmother! Plus mens always seem to last longer and i don't have to drench myself in it to get a scent.

personally i love all of Calvin Klein's stuff, Ralph Lauren, and Armani. Usually i get Ck One though. The new Ck Euphoria is a womens perfume that smells like a male cologne but has a floral background and i like it.

But anyway, my male friends and I all agree that its kind of sexy for a women to wear mens cologne. I as well have gotten lots of compliments. So i think if you like it and get compliments then keep doing. what difference would it make if it is male or female perfume as long as you smell good!

24-08-2006
front row

I used to wear many unisexe perfums like Eau de Cartier,but I admit that also I used some perfums made for men,like Happy of Clinique and Black of Bvlgari,I don't mind wearing men's fragrences when I like them,after all,all tastes are in nature and the impact on females is different of their impact on males,as the perfumes change depending on skin and body of every person,what's good on me,is not necessary good on u,and vis versa

front row

Eau Sauvage by Dior is a classic male perfume with a citrousy smell which has always been worn by men and women alike.

25-08-2006
tfs star

I wear sometimes Opium for men, and it smells wonderful. I get so many compliments for it.
Carine Roitfeld once said that it was her perfume, and I just bought it. I adore Carine, and this fragrance is great.

27-08-2006
V.I.P.

i don't think it's taboo or anything. i remember gemma ward saying in Vogue Aus Dec 05 (the one she guest edited) that she wore Obsession Night. but then i dunno if she was just saying that because she's in the ad.

V.I.P.

I'm all for it. For standard deodorants I prefer the men's varieties because I cannot handle anything that smells powdery. My favourite perfume of all time is actually an Avon men's fragrance-Coastline.

27-08-2006
V.I.P.

Oh my little sister and I were just talking about this
We found some cologne and we just couldn't get over how it didn't smell like it would be for a man or for a woman
So both of us ended up taking a sample

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fragrances, men, wearing, women