How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2009
windowshopping

I've been practicing yoga for about 7 years and I love it. It's very relaxing and when I do deep stretches I feel so calm and I have such a restful, peaceful sleep (great for an insomniac like me ).

Also, there are times when I do yoga for about an hour and I feel such a sense of clarity and tranquility - nothing upsets me and it feels like a natural high (I know that sounds cliche, but it's true).

Of course, yoga improves my posture, it keeps me toned and my waist to hip ratio is enhanced when I practice yoga at least 3 times a week.

24-09-2009
front row

Can anybody suggest any Yoga work out DVDs that are worth buying?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyhepburn View Post
Can anybody suggest any Yoga work out DVDs that are worth buying?
Depends on what style you like, IMO.
If you are brand spanking new I would highly recommend trying some classes in person first to see, before striking it out on your own.

Play around on youtube and see videos of different styles and teachers. I could recommend some teachers with videos but I totally think that it's an individual taste thing.
The YogaToday website has different videos for days of the week. If you try one you like, you can download it to your computer for something 3 bucks.

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
24-09-2009
THE STRANGER

What age are most people that attend yoga classes? I really want to go but I don't want to be the only teenager there...

Has yoga helped with fat burn, anyone?

24-09-2009
backstage pass

In my classes it ranges from 12yo-66yo.
As far as fat burning, depends on the style of yoga. It it's a more flow-y, relaxing one probably not. But some of the 'hotter' more strenuous types, yes b/c it not only gets your heart rate up but you are doing exercises that are full bodyweight exercises; like I can do a handstand, headstand or an some kind of arm balance but would never be able to shoulder press or do a free weight exercise that would duplicate that kind of weight or all the other muscles that are working to stabilize me.
Muscle is more metabolically active, hence, you can say it "burns fat".

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
24-09-2009
goodbye kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by michyed View Post
What age are most people that attend yoga classes? I really want to go but I don't want to be the only teenager there...

I don't think there's an appropriate age for doing yoga, I started when I was about 13 years old. About fat burning, I don't know, I do power yoga once a week (used to practice twice a week before) but I didn't put on weight (I didn't notice if I did ) I wouldn't recommend it if your biggest aim is to lose weight

26-09-2009
THE STRANGER

Thank you both very much! My bf's mom told me that her yoga class is filled with people 40 and above. I just wouldn't feel comfortable in that setting...

04-12-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michyed View Post

Most of the yoga classes I have attended have bee middle age to older women but there are always a few young people there. In high school my friend and I were always the youngest, but now I think more younger people are getting into it. You shouldn't not go for that reason though!

06-12-2009
backstage pass

I'm so addicted to Birkram yoga!!

fashion elite

Bikram is too militaristic for me,not to mention having nearly fainted from the heat,not good.
I do Asthanga and it's so healing.I've noticed how much stronger my core is and my posture after 5 years of doing it.I can stand in long lines and not shift around at all.There is a pose for everything! Insomnia, constipation,stress,sadness, it is truly a healing prerogative in my life.

06-12-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullepen View Post
Bikram is too militaristic for me,not to mention having nearly fainted from the heat,not good.
I do Asthanga and it's so healing.I've noticed how much stronger my core is and my posture after 5 years of doing it.I can stand in long lines and not shift around at all.There is a pose for everything! Insomnia, constipation,stress,sadness, it is truly a healing prerogative in my life.

I know it was serious, but I always giggle when I go to my college Yoga class and the instructor says "now we pose for constipation relief."

06-12-2009
fashion elite

That's cool you take it in college! I always see girls with yoga mats on my campus they must be taking it too.I like the Sleeping Tortoise and Cow Face poses.I do my Boat Pose every day, also a squat.One of my teachers used to say,"squat every day,it's one of the natural human poses but since we sit up several feet off the floor to defecate,we are losing the benefits of squatting." true,so I do my squat.

06-12-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullepen View Post
That's cool you take it in college! I always see girls with yoga mats on my campus they must be taking it too.I like the Sleeping Tortoise and Cow Face poses.I do my Boat Pose every day, also a squat.One of my teachers used to say,"squat every day,it's one of the natural human poses but since we sit up several feet off the floor to defecate,we are losing the benefits of squatting." true,so I do my squat.

Well, it's not an actual class, like math class. It's more like an extra curricular activity that anyone can come in and join.

Yes! The squat is what we do!

And the instructor proved the point by telling us that when babies want to poop they instinctively squat down to do so.

People can joke the Japanese all they want about their very low toilets, at least they're not suffering from constipation.

06-12-2009
fashion elite

actually one of my yoga friends said her Filipino mom squats on top of the toilet seat...quite a feat! I like to do lotus,then you lean forward, cross your arms behind your back and grab the opposite big toes,then put your head on the floor/mat. It's quite challenging but great to stretch out your back/legs/arms.

08-12-2009
tfs star

I´ve been doing yoga occasionally since I was 15. More and less regularly. I like how it´s calming, and body feels so stretched and relaxed after a class. But usually I skip yoga and do something more sweaty and cardio vascular, somehow that´s the only way I feel I´ve really been working out. I need that heart in throat-feeling, i guess.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga