How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-12-2009
backstage pass

^ That is exactly why I do Ashtanga and not a more relaxing, flowing type . More bang-for-the-buck

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me

31-01-2010
V.I.P.

Yoga does WONDERS for skin and hair.
Ive seen a few threads on acne, and flawless skin, etc.

Honestly, it can be something you outgrow, and in some cases, its not b/c it's in the genes.

YOGA however is something I would HIGHLY recommend. Not only do you feel great, it actually changed everything about my skin too.

Of course your yogi will tell you to have a healthy diet. i.e. cut down on junk, drink water and fresh juices and even MORE importantly, get a good nights sleep.
Meaning, sleep at a good hour so you wake up for breakfast. (this helps with dark eye circle problems too)

I speak out of experience, I kid you not.

fashion elite

I love yoga, been doing it for 5 years now. Have to make sure to take one day off a week though,according to traditional astanga guidelines.Also not to do it during heavy menstruation,inversions during menstruation,do it on an empty stomach.It really has changed my life.

31-03-2010
tfs star

I love yoga and the feeling after I`ve done it. But, I have this problem: I usually skip the yoga, because I have only limited time to exercise, so I always think it is more useful to use it on cardio and sculpting. Now, I have tried more intensive yoga, it really makes me sweat and even out of breath. Can I replace my usual work outs with this yoga without worries? I really know yoga isn`t easy, but still something in the back of my head says: Do real work outs!!

Thing is I really, really enjoy it, and I wonder if it could change my body and mind.

31-03-2010
backstage pass

I can only speak from my experience and my body-I totally believe that everyBODY is different (lifestyle, history, genes, diet..etc) but YES. I did. I replaced my 'gym' workouts with a heavy-workout orientated yoga style. We do a lot of bodyweight-type exercises and there's no way I could lift or bench or squat 100-ish pounds at the gym. I cut down on my cardio but I did not eliminate it completely; and part of that is just mental...my hangup. I do more short, intensive bursts and also take a good nice walk at least once a week. But I'm doing Ashtanga 5-6 days a week for 2+hrs and it still kicks my a**. I used to be a total gym rat, by the way.
namaste

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
31-03-2010
tfs star

^Thank you for your answer. Every celeb and model says they got their body "just doing little yoga", and however the reality is almost all of them do a lot more than just it. So this has got me thinking if it is only over-hyped and fashionable atm. This being said, I`m not after model body at all, but I still want results from my training. This far I haven`t practised yoga regularly enough to make my own conclusions. But this thread has definitely been useful to me.

16-12-2010
fashion insider

HI everyone!

I've been reading about tones of people doing yoga, and they look all great.
Two years ago, i bought a small book about it, did it for a few days but i didnt like it was a work out... So i decided to move on to pilates and aerobics.

For some time now, i've been feeling like sh*t, i dont eat well, am tired, dont feel well and add to that the cold i just caught, i want to change my routine.
Is yoga a real workout? I think ill still continue pilates and aerobics, but is there a kind of yoga that is "intense"?(is bikram intense?) Does anyone know any good sites that explain routines (so i can do it at home, theres no gym for that here) and the base of yoga (someone here just mentionned about the spiritual and nutritional side) ?

Thank you to anyone with answers and sorry if theres dumb questions, im a newbie. :p

16-12-2010
backstage pass

Honestly I don't think that one can really teach themselves or "try" yoga from a book, video, or gym class. For a once in awhile thing to add to your workout, yeah, & if you already have some experience with it, sure but to really TRY yoga as a workout, it should be done with a yoga teacher at a yoga studio. Try a Bikram or Ashtanga class and see what you think! I'm sure you'll come back and agree it's a workout. Even if you just do it for a short period you'll learn more than trying to do it on your own.
I wasted years doing 'here & there' yoga online, at the fitness center, videos, etc and I couldn't see what the big deal was. Now I get it & am a cert. teacher.
Don't worry about changing around your mind or diet b/c those seem to happen naturally when you're into it.

16-12-2010
fashion insider

^ that's cool you're a teacher

Ok, I'll look into a real class, but maybe still try a few things "here and there" until I find one
Bikram sounds interesting, I think I'd get a kick out of it, what is ashtanga?

17-12-2010
rising star

The thing is there's so many different kind of yoga classes.
A few years ago, i used to attend one at a fitness club and it was more like a stretching class. There were a pregnant woman in the assistance. I found it boring and I quit after a few lessons.
Now I'd like to make another try in a real yoga center, for a more demanding class. But, as I said before I feel a bit confused with all the different kind of yaga classes existing

18-12-2010
front row

Does anyone have a favorite yoga workout/video/routine that doesn't involve sun salutations? My knee recently declared war on the rest of my body, which means I can't do lunges.

18-12-2010
backstage pass

Sun A [& variations] doesn't have the lunges that B does.
If there's nothing wrong with your knee (diagnosis-wise) my yogi teachers would tell you to work thru it in order to strengthen area and avoid further imbalances), or avoid the postures that flare it up- ie., warrior I is a different knee stressor than warrior II. Even the floor poses do different things to different sides, angles,etc. There are some books that give ideas on a routine sequence ["choreography"] - if you want some rec's let me know. I find the gentle, non-stressing videos terribly boring. Would rather sit somewhere and meditate for that time.
But if it hurts in most everything...I'd get that checked out by a doc!

18-12-2010
fashion icon

I've just begun doing Kundalini yoga and its great! I love that it mixes a bit of a workout with meditation and spiritual. It seems to me to be the best of both. I wanted to practice a type of yoga where I felt like I got a workout but also was able to get an inner perspective on myself too. Now I am wondering, why I didn't start sooner! My mum is quite happy to see that she finally rubbed off on me, she's been doing yoga for years now and even goes on retreats too, I guess mother really does know best!

19-12-2010
fashion icon

i just did my first 90min session of bikram yoga.
so happy that (what felt like) the last third of the poses all involve being on the ground. I was so ready to just lie down.

19-12-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity*Now View Post
Sun A [& variations] doesn't have the lunges that B does.
If there's nothing wrong with your knee (diagnosis-wise) my yogi teachers would tell you to work thru it in order to strengthen area and avoid further imbalances), or avoid the postures that flare it up- ie., warrior I is a different knee stressor than warrior II. Even the floor poses do different things to different sides, angles,etc. There are some books that give ideas on a routine sequence ["choreography"] - if you want some rec's let me know. I find the gentle, non-stressing videos terribly boring. Would rather sit somewhere and meditate for that time.
But if it hurts in most everything...I'd get that checked out by a doc!
Oh, I would love some recs, if only so I can change up what I'm doing now. I'm not a fan of the gentle videos either. I always end up getting annoyed, which I think sort of defeats the purpose of trying to relax.

Yeah, it's pretty much any standing position that involves bending the knee. I've noticed it with Warrior I and II, the Extended Side Angle, Prayer Twist, and Reverse Warrior. Don't worry, I'm definitely planning on getting it checked out. I just won't be able to see my regular doctor for a couple of months, and I'm really trying to avoid doing anything to aggravate it until then.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga