How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2011
front row

I've been doing Bikram yoga for about 3 weeks now and I've been loving it. Never really been into yoga, although I have tried a few times, but hot yoga is actually really different. I think the heat helps so much with flexibility and gives you the confidence to try to go deeper into the poses and really stretch and work your muscles. Also helps that it's quite cold out and you're practically in a sauna for 90 minutes!!! Feels great when you're done, very refreshing.

30-01-2011
trendsetter

I'm going today. There's a donation based studio by me, I pretty much only attend donation classes, it's pretty awesome, because a class costs less than my metro fare.

19-02-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
I'm going today. There's a donation based studio by me, I pretty much only attend donation classes, it's pretty awesome, because a class costs less than my metro fare.
Can I ask you - where in New York is that?

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

I am going to hotyoga today, soooo excited!

rising star

I love yoga! I've been taking classes at my local gym, and a few hot yoga classes here and there that I got coupons for. It is so good for your body. I've gotten so many books on it and fascinated to read about it, and watched some documentaries.

21-02-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyzzka View Post
there's one i used to go to at 12 saint marks place; it's donation based/$2 for mat rental: http://yogatothepeople.com/new-york-yoga.shtml they have a few other locations around the city as well.

i haven't done yoga in ages but my friend and i are starting a class tonight; so excited!

trendsetter

Quote:
In NYC, check out Yoga to the People on St. Marks Place, donation based but very crowded. Focus is on really working the muscles, and core. If I skip class for awhile and then go, I am really really sore afterward.
http://yogatothepeople.com/directions-east.shtml

Greenpoint Church of the Messiah has community yoga in the basement on Sundays at 2:30, it's an hour and a half class,maybe I should not be posting this one on TFS because: the classes are always around ten people, which is small, for NYC in my experience, and the instructor is just fantastic.
http://www.messiahbrooklyn.org/Events.html

And Loom Studio in Bushwick does a community class twice a week, I've heard rad things about this place, but I haven't been yet.

21-02-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightful View Post
there's one i used to go to at 12 saint marks place; it's donation based/$2 for mat rental: http://yogatothepeople.com/new-york-yoga.shtml they have a few other locations around the city as well.

i haven't done yoga in ages but my friend and i are starting a class tonight; so excited!
Heheheh. I type too slowly.

06-03-2011
less is more

At the end of 2009 I changed to Iyengar Yoga after 7 years of Hatha. I'm loving the greater level of physicality, skill and strength required. Last Thrusday I went to yoga and got 2 hours of personalised instruction (at the regular class price) because no one else turned up!

06-03-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Also Donation-based, Hosh Yoga in Greenpoint, and the Greenpoint Library has a weekly class in their basement. (That one I don't go to, just saw a flyer about it yesterday.

06-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
At the end of 2009 I changed to Iyengar Yoga after 7 years of Hatha. I'm loving the greater level of physicality, skill and strength required. Last Thrusday I went to yoga and got 2 hours of personalised instruction (at the regular class price) because no one else turned up!
Yes! Iyengar is amazing! I get more out of my sessions when using blocks, blanket rolls, ropes and such. It pushes it to a whole different level.

11-03-2011
Riot Bug

Awwww... I would totally love to do practice this...

trendsetter

I just got a fancy new phone, and I can download apps for it. So I have been trying out the Pocket Yoga app lately. I really like it.
Does anyone else have any home yoga tools they like to use?

24-03-2011
rising star

I haven't done yoga in a while-- I used to do the Oxygen Network's yoga series “Inhale”-- can someone suggest a DVD?

My increasingly inflexible body thanks you in advance.

24-03-2011
trendsetter

Kundalini Yoga for Beginners and Beyond DVD is good, the whole series is pretty decent. I have a friend who swears by them.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga