How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-03-2011
goodbye kiss

Avoid not practicing for a long time, I stopped for a year and it's hard when you restart taking classes, because your body is not obviously the same anymore, you can't do some positions that well anymore!

26-03-2011
rising star

Thank you dauphine. I'll check that out.

Great advice ckgirlbr.

27-03-2011
trendsetter

I'm really happy that this thread is active again.
I've been really in to Dolphin post lately.

27-03-2011
trendsetter

^ I like most of the asanas, even the ones that really challenge me, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be the Shirshasana/head stand.

front row

One thing I've noticed from doing yoga is that my hip joints seem more flexible.

29-03-2011
less is more

^^ eu-pt, how long do you typically stay in headstand? I have no problems with other advanced poses, but I can't stand that much headstand. After a few minutes, I get a very heavy feeling in my head and neck and the whole thing feels very unnatural and uncomfortable. Any advice?

29-03-2011
trendsetter

^Hi rox_yr_sox, I never counted the time but I'm guessing a good 3 or 4 minutes. But I would stay longer if I didn't had to follow the class.

As far as advice what I have noticed is that, in my experience, the stronger my abdominal and dorsal muscles are, the easier it gets to do this asana.

Have you ever tried to do this asana on your hands instead of on your head? It will make your arms hurt but at least it doesn't make that pressure on your head and neck plus the weight of your head will pull your spine and decompress it!!

Hope this was of some help to you.

less is more

^Hmm, I may be a special case, because I do have very strong muscles abdominal and dorsal muscles (from yoga and also other sports), and headstand still feels wrong. I normally do about 4 minutes before having to come down (and the last 1 or so minutes are very unpleasant), but many in my class happily stay up for 8 to 10 minutes.

Do you mean this pose when you say try doing it one your hands?
YogaArmStand.JPG

My class always does this before doing headstand and I can do that one OK.

I seriously don't know how I'll ever feel comfortable in headstand. My teacher is like 'just relax and breath', and I'm thinking, "hello, almost all my body weight is going through my head, how can I chill out in this pose?!".

insidesocal.com

29-03-2011
trendsetter

How are you with other inversions? Halasana, Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported Shoulderstand), etc?

30-03-2011
less is more

^ No problems at all. But in those, the weight isn't really coming down straight through the neck to the crown of the head.
My headstand is really letting me down; I'm aiming for all round yogic excellence!

Last edited by rox_yr_sox; 30-03-2011 at 06:49 AM.
30-03-2011
trendsetter

I am aiming for all around yogic excellence as well, but Wheel is still my downfall. I utterly lack upper body strength though.

06-04-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
^Hmm, I may be a special case, because I do have very strong muscles abdominal and dorsal muscles (from yoga and also other sports), and headstand still feels wrong. I normally do about 4 minutes before having to come down (and the last 1 or so minutes are very unpleasant), but many in my class happily stay up for 8 to 10 minutes.

Do you mean this pose when you say try doing it one your hands?

My class always does this before doing headstand and I can do that one OK.

I seriously don't know how I'll ever feel comfortable in headstand. My teacher is like 'just relax and breath', and I'm thinking, "hello, almost all my body weight is going through my head, how can I chill out in this pose?!".

rox_yr_sox, sorry to be so late with my answer.

The asana I meant was this one in the pict:

©iyogalife

In all honesty I must say that the headstand doesn't feel uncomfortable at all to me, but to achieve this I have to find the right spot on my head where it feels comfortable to stay for a while in this headstand asana.

Otherwise, IMHO, I think you'll only be able to relax and breath the day you think and believe that your head and neck bones are strong enough to support your body weight and they are not going to crush or anything bad like that is going to happen!!! Hope this will eventually help you to progress in this asana.

oh! darling

Would people suggest a class or trying moves at home on a DVD for a beginner?

Never done any yoga but would love to make it a routine part of my life.

trendsetter

For a beginner I would definitely suggest a class! Often we do mistakes that can even cause an injure in the worst case and we are not even aware that we're making them, a teacher will help you to be more aware of it and be able at a long term to correct yourself.

oh! darling

^ Thank you!

I know that a lot of yoga studios are donation; most classes are "free" but they prefer you drop a dollar or 5. Is this generally true for most yoga classes?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga