How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-11-2011
front row

@northernsky First class is tomorrow night

This is probably a stupid question, but yoga does make you more flexible right? I started stretching and for the first time since I can remember, I'm finally about to sit Indian Style , but for some reason, I was not flexible enough to sit that way and now I am. Shocking huh?

Last edited by daniellat; 28-01-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: weight talk

08-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloryepp View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but yoga does make you more flexible right? I started stretching and for the first time since I can remember, I'm finally about to sit Indian Style , but for some reason, I was not flexible enough to sit that way and now I am. Shocking huh?
Well, it's supposed to. Stretching is a big part of yoga. Lots of professional athletes do yoga to keep or improve their flexibility, and my flexibility has improved a lot since I started yoga.

Last edited by daniellat; 28-01-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: response to an edited post
28-12-2011
trendsetter

I just enrolled for pilates at my gym today but we had yoga for the first session. It was my first time and naturally not flexible enough for most of the positions but didn't really feel that much pain during the session. The teacher kept asking me if I had any pains and I said none. After the class, I told him that my back felt so much better and he said it was great to hear. Now, my head and inner thighs hurt (surprisingly my wrists are fine). Despite that, I'm really looking forward to my next class which incorporates yoga & pilates. Does anyone have any experience with this?

02-01-2012
scenester

I took a "yogalates" class for a few years, and I absolutely loved it. It was the best of both worlds, and my instructor incorporates poses from both seamlessly. She was like your instructor; asking new people if they were doing OK, suggesting modifications, etc. I liked the mix because, while I adore Pilates a bit more than yoga, sometimes some of the Pilates moves can cause a bit of strain on the neck (as you're crunched up doing this ab exercise or that ab exercise), and it was great to have a yoga stretch after certain Pilates moves.

02-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADCchick View Post
I took a "yogalates" class for a few years, and I absolutely loved it. It was the best of both worlds, and my instructor incorporates poses from both seamlessly. She was like your instructor; asking new people if they were doing OK, suggesting modifications, etc. I liked the mix because, while I adore Pilates a bit more than yoga, sometimes some of the Pilates moves can cause a bit of strain on the neck (as you're crunched up doing this ab exercise or that ab exercise), and it was great to have a yoga stretch after certain Pilates moves.
We did mostly wall yoga in my past 2 sessions, and last night (my 3rd) we had the exercise tube routines and crunches...so intense, I was sweating bullets the first 10mins - that span of time felt more strenuous on the arms and shoulders than free weights. I appreciated the 'child pose' more.

03-01-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbluejean View Post
We did mostly wall yoga in my past 2 sessions, and last night (my 3rd) we had the exercise tube routines and crunches...so intense, I was sweating bullets the first 10mins - that span of time felt more strenuous on the arms and shoulders than free weights. I appreciated the 'child pose' more.
I won't lie; I love child's pose! When it gets too intense, I stretch back into child's pose for a couple of breaths (depending on the pose we're in, of course) then rejoin the class. The sweating is good. Sometimes people act like yoga (and Pilates) are these slow moving classes, but there are definitely moves that get the heart rate up just as much as a workout on the treadmill or elliptical will do.

06-01-2012
trendsetter

^ We did power yoga in my last session and it was the biggest mistake to attend that class on an empty stomach

06-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbluejean View Post
^ We did power yoga in my last session and it was the biggest mistake to attend that class on an empty stomach
Full stomach would've been probably worse

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
Full stomach would've been probably worse
yes of course... my class is at 7:30pm and I feel the need to have a meal beforehand because I still jog afterwards and I don't want to have dinner too late. This journal (http://yoga.livejournal.com) has been very informative for me

30-01-2012
trendsetter

do you guys recommend some good youtube videos? i looked at Tara Stiles' videos but didn't know which should i choose...

goodbye kiss

I have some DVDs with Rainbeau Mars, she's pretty good, she's quite known so I think you can find some nice vids on youtube.

04-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySpring View Post
do you guys recommend some good youtube videos? i looked at Tara Stiles' videos but didn't know which should i choose...
I've tried Tara Stiles once before, her videos were okay, I did like some of them but I couldnt stick with it. I do like Sadie Nardini, her videos are usually good for me. I enjoy hers a lot more then Taras.

13-05-2012
backstage pass

I've got my first class this week. I'm really looking forward to it.

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySpring View Post
I can't always get to a real yoga class and I get bored with the repetitiveness of DVDs so I've explored yoga on youtube quite a bit. Here are my suggestions.

If you're new to yoga, check out Yoga Zone. They're pretty good about breaking down each pose so they you do it correctly and start from a solid, safe foundation. They also talk you through the exercise so that you don't have to come out of the pose to look at the screen to see what comes next. You can find several videos on this channel.

Yoga Today has a mix of different levels and different types of workouts. You can do a quick ten minute practice or an hour long workout. For newbies I'd suggest Yoga For the New Beginner and Yoga For the Novice If you want something that gets you moving a bit more check out The Ashtanga Primary Series, A Positive Perspective, or Introduction to Kundalini Yoga.

Kathleen Holm has a channel, HolmTV, also has some nice workouts. They range from a Beginner practice, to some more challenging stuff.

Do Yoga With Me has some workouts that range from Power Yoga, to some gentle twisting and stretching.

Ester Ekhart has a channel called Yogatic that has some nice targeted videos. Like if you want a flow avoiding down dog and chaturanga due to arm/shoulder injuries, or if you've had a bad day, and want to shake that icky feeling. or for anxiety. They're shorter for the most part (though she does have a couple longer ones) and if you browse through them, there are a lot of nice pose guides as well. Plus I find her voice very soothing.

YogaJournal has several home practices. Most are quickies (about 20 minutes) but they also have some pose guides.

I like Sadie Nardini a lot but she can go fast and doesn't always break down the poses so I wouldn't recommend her if you've never done yoga before.

Tara Stiles is also good but I'd start elsewhere because she also has a tendency to go fast. But she does have a beginners playlist. Most of her videos are quickie workouts.

28-01-2013
tfs star

Bumping this one! Anyone following Tara Stiles yoga videos? So cool!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga