How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-10-2004
windowshopping

your body will be more taut and you will feel slightly happier and lighter happy doing yoga!

13-06-2005
front row

Hot Yoga
Has anybody here tried hot yoga? I really want to try it. How intense is it exactly?

04-11-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the Yoga thread is so... small.

There have to be more people here at TFS that practice yoga. Right? I have never had a yoga class, but I've found that doing certain exercises in the quiet outdoors near the lake always felt refreshing... my own kind of yoga.

04-11-2005
trendsetter

I practice ashtanga yoga, only just got into it though. And I've never tried other types of yoga so I can't really compare. At first my body was aching after each lesson but I can tell that I'm already getting much more flexible. Also I love how at peace I feel at my yoga classes, it's such a great way to get your mind of everything.

04-11-2005
V.I.P.

i did yoga at school for sport...never really took it seriously but i do remember a few exercises. dunno what type i did but the lady was really realistic and nice about everything especially when it came to that time of the month...
anyway, the passing out thing sounds freaky...

04-11-2005
fashion icon

i'm was quite nervous about doing Bikram yoga...and reading about people passing out has made me even more nervous.
but it sounds so beneficial.

tfs star

Erin, I didn't even know there was a yoga thread! Your kind of yoga is the best kind...being one with nature. I've been practicing yoga for 11 years now and teach occasionally. I love it...it's a whole lifestyle for me...It definitely makes you happier and lighter and healthier. I esp. recommend the breathing excercises...pranayama.

04-11-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Wow, Melisande, you teach yoga? You're a yoga expert. Is there any advice you could offer to novices?

04-11-2005
tfs star

Well I'm no expert (it's hard to be an expert on wisdom thousands of years old...:p ) but from my experience, some important points off the top of my head are...

Listen to your own body, every part.

Do not compare yourself with others...because yoga is not about achieving anything, not about achieving an ideal pose.
The very act of going into a pose correctly, comfortably and breathing deeply, no matter how inflexible your body is, is the most effective in healing your body, so comfort is key.

Correct breathing is one of the most important things in yoga, as in life...many ailments can be cured just from correct breathing.

Imperfection is beautiful...don't be hard on yourself if you can't do a pose and everyone else can.You're that much more fortunate because you can see the effects that much more!

I would recommend ashtanga yoga for beginners...very kind but powerfully healing and breath . (Personally, I would be wary of Bikram yoga...people pass out...not enough oxygen (fresh air/oxygen is crucial)...and he was involved in a courtcase trying to patent ancient, traditional poses as his own, suing others who taught them ...this to me is the epitome of what yoga is not...)

Yoga means "union"...union with your true self, with your own body, with God, with the universe, with nature, with friends and family...so just feeling that, being thankful in the feeling of oneness, helps your pracitce and life tremendously.

That's it for now, you can ask me anything you want.

04-11-2005
V.I.P.

I started yoga about 2 months ago and I do find that my body is getting more tones and my flexibility, posture and breathing has improved. I'm advised (as Melisande pointed out) that there should be no comparison with others, do what is comfortable to yourself as overdoing it could lead to injury. Also, remember it's not a cardio workout although personally, I sweat buckets.

05-11-2005
fashion icon

I'm too scared to try it after all the passing out comments lol I'm a naturally fainty kinda person anyway so I guess there is no need to encourage the problem!

05-11-2005
tfs star

Don't worry Sydney, yoga is actually the *best* thing for your faintiness!

Try ashtanga yoga. Like I said, people have been known to pass out with Bikram/Hot yoga...which is totally different from traditional yoga...

05-11-2005
V.I.P.

i know i sound very naive here but what's the difference between yoga and pilates?

05-11-2005
stl
trendsetter

I quite liked it actually, but I've got no free time, so I dropped.Btw, can you do it at home? Without having to go to classes?

05-11-2005
backstage pass

Location: Second or Third Circle of Hell, depending on the day
I'm no expert, so forgive me if this explanation isn't detailed enough but I've practised both.

Yoga is holistic. You hold poses and move through a series of poses and the correct breathing is vital. Some people do it for exercise, but I believe purists would say that your body looking good is just a side effect, as yoga is at its core a spiritual practise. As Melisande said above, "Yoga means "union"...union with your true self, with your own body, with God, with the universe, with nature, with friends and family...so just feeling that, being thankful in the feeling of oneness, helps your pracitce and life tremendously."

Pilates is not holistic, and does not involve any meditation or spirituality. It does not involve poses, it involves exercises which target your core muscles. By core, I mean the deep abdominal muscles (transvere abdominus sp?), not the superficial muscles which comprise a "six pack". It's all about the inner corset. It also works on your back muscles and pelvic floor. It doesn't look quite as graceful as yoga either, lots of lying on the floor with legs flailing about.....well, very controlled flailing!

I used to practise ashtanga yoga but it's way too expensive here in Dublin and there are hardly any classes. I live in the city centre and it can be almost Ä20 ($24) a class!! I thought about Bikram (Ä15 a class) but I get light-headed in a sauna :p. I currently do Stott Pilates and my teacher is fantastic and my *God* is her body an inspiration. Kind of SJP...small but perfectly formed I'd recommend if you're doing either that you get recommendations for an instructor - I couldn't make it to my usual Pilates classes so I enrolled in my gym and the teacher sucks. She's a physiotherapist and I swear the woman bought a video, did it a couple of times and calls herself an instructor. A chillout music CD does not a teacher make!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga