How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2007
fashion insider

Thanks for the help, Atelier!

13-05-2007
elementary.

yogatoday.com is absolutely fantastic!
a one hour video podcast everyday & gorgeous scenery . .

tfs star

i do ashtanga a few days a week and regular vinyasa a few other times a week-- about 3-4 times total-- as one of my instructors said, ashtanga is "type a" yoga. you do the same rigorous sequence of postures each time in the same order, so in my opinion i really have seen improvements over the years as you can measure your experience against your previous struggles/successes with an asana (or posture/position). if you do mysore style ashtanga, you go to a studio when you like during a set period of time and do your own practice of the primary series, or further if you know it, with an instructor assisting you once or twice and others who are there too. mysore is hard sometimes cause it's so self-motivated, you just quietly go through the asanas but since you know them so well at least for me i get a little bored about half way through sometimes.

Last edited by emma peel; 13-09-2007 at 08:04 PM.
15-03-2008
backstage pass

I'm actually thinking about trying yoga. There are some great places in my city that offer yoga and I've been so stressed lately, I'm hoping it will calm me down. Has anyone noticed a decrease in stress? And is there a certain type of yoga that focuses on just relaxing and calming the body vs. a kick butt type workout (which I'm not looking for)?

15-03-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0VE View Post
I'm actually thinking about trying yoga. There are some great places in my city that offer yoga and I've been so stressed lately, I'm hoping it will calm me down. Has anyone noticed a decrease in stress? And is there a certain type of yoga that focuses on just relaxing and calming the body vs. a kick butt type workout (which I'm not looking for)?
Honestly, you just have to try different types. As far as I know, Hatha is the slowest and most relaxed, but it is so. friggin. slow that it makes me stressed! lol. I think it is important to find a studio/instructor that really makes you focus on your breathing, from what I have tried, Vinyasa and Anusara seems to be challenging but peaceful. I personally need something challenging to take my mind off of whatever stress I may have, and I use some techniques in real life - I always hold my stress in my eyes and between my eyebrows, so I breathe in deeply and as i breathe out, I concentrate the breath to the muscles in my face to relax them.

Good luck!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_<3_chanel View Post
I just found this site, I'm in love!!!

16-03-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_<3_chanel View Post
wow, used this 2day thanx allot!

16-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper View Post
I started doing yoga this week and i've done it twice so far, but everytime when i'm in some positions, my foot/lower leg gets tingly and numb. My muslces don't feel pain or anything, so is this normal, or am i pushing myself too hard or doing the positions wrong?
I'm almost positive this has to do with breathing. That happened to me a lot when I did yoga; I would also sometimes get dizzy. You have to take deep, slow and steady breaths while doing poses (which IMO is the hardest part of yoga).

16-03-2008
front row

I used to go to a gym that offered both pilates and yoga and I tried yoga once there. However, I don't attend that gym anymore and I bought a DVD and I don't know if that was a good idea. What do you guys think? Is there maybe a DVD that anyone can recommend?

17-03-2008
front row

ok well this thread inspired me to take up yoga im going with a friend, bikram yoga http://www.hotbikramyoga.co.uk/home.html for everyone in the UK london!

will give a review on wednesday

17-03-2008
V.I.P.

i should be at yoga right now...i'm sooo sad i'm not I've never done bikram yoga. I'm afraid i'd pass out...

le rêve est réalité...
18-03-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricladyland View Post
i should be at yoga right now...i'm sooo sad i'm not I've never done bikram yoga. I'm afraid i'd pass out...
pass out?!? now im worried LOL, it starts at 6 45am across the city i better not fall asleep in class 2..

18-03-2008
V.I.P.

No, i don't want to freak you out! It's just that at least in LA Bikram is practiced in a very hot room. I sweat enough in regular yoga and saunas tend to make me dizzy so...yeah...

le rêve est réalité...
18-03-2008
rising star

I'm learning yoga from a few different books. I'm looking forward to trying the website mentioned earlier here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_<3_chanel
End quote.

Has anyone found any good Yoga magazines that they like?? I'm not able to watch a DVD and do yoga, maybe I could use my laptop and exercise at the same time. Magazines and books tend to work well for me. Any suggestions? Also I don't have a preference yet as to what type of yoga I enjoy. Still figuring that out

18-03-2008
V.I.P.

You should really go to a yoga class in person. There's nothing like real personal attention from a trained teacher. and keep going to different classes until you find one that is the right speed for you and leaves you feeling good afterward. :p my two cents

le rêve est réalité...
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga