How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-07-2009
goodbye kiss

I've been doing yoga for almost three years and there are some positions I can't do, while some people can in their very first class

12-08-2009
rising star

^ Everyone's body is different. Some people are naturally more flexible and strong in certain areas of their bodies. It's natural. I hate when i see people really struggling and pushing themselves because 1) That doesn't seem to be what yoga is about and 2) They can really injure themselves but they think that since its "just yoga" that they won't.

12-08-2009
goodbye kiss

^I know, my teacher says exactly the same But it's still a bit frustrating to me

Is Ashtanga yoga too hard? I'd like to try someday.

24-08-2009
backstage pass

Is anyone here a yoga instructor? If so, could you share how you became one?!

Riot Bug

i would like to try... i always says the same but I'm such so difficult to calm down and concentrate on breath properly... when i know any kind of those thing as yoga or meditation would help me lots... but i have not enough discipline and such a lack of concentration if im not pushed..my mind goes faster than i do...

I kind of envy people who can practice this as they can get some mind/body balance in such a natural way...

front row

I have wanted to do bikram "hot" yoga forever. But there is no place that offers it near where I live. Has anyone tried it? And what is it like?

01-09-2009
Making a Mess

I'm thinking about taking up yoga this year at my university gym. I've been meaning to try it for awhile but things always seem to come up . I actually did yoga one year in high school and found it very relaxing.

Silly question but what does one wear? Is it suitable to wear a tank and sweats?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Vixen View Post
I'm thinking about taking up yoga this year at my university gym. I've been meaning to try it for awhile but things always seem to come up . I actually did yoga one year in high school and found it very relaxing.

Silly question but what does one wear? Is it suitable to wear a tank and sweats?

That is typically what I wear! Slim sweats or capri work out pants and a tank

shake off your flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Vixen View Post

A tank and sweats would be fine. Just make sure your clothes are loose-fitting, so you are able to move freely and pose properly.

02-09-2009
Making a Mess

Thanks shoegal and cb . I just didn't want to show up to my first class dressed inappropriately for the workout.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgirlbr View Post
Is Ashtanga yoga too hard? I'd like to try someday.
Define "hard"?
I guess I'd have to say YES and that's why I do it.

As far as teaching, Yoga Alliance sets the standards here in the US but they're changing, I hear. Of course there are different teacher certifications in most every discipline and some don't require 100's of hrs. Just depends what you want to do & where you want to teach.

Clothes-I could never wear sweat pants b/c the bulky fleece material would restrict me (& I love bulky, big things). I basically wear aerobic or hip hop type pants and a long (stomach covering) bra top. Tanks and some T's are hard to wear on top b/c when you do inversions...they don't stay in place and you risk a wardrobe malfunction.

I do yoga, on avg, for 2 1/2hrs, 5-6 days a week. But it was many years of searching til I found a style I liked & that actually was good for ME.

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
14-09-2009
fashion icon

I've just started yoga lessons again. I'm doing Dru yoga and really enjoying it. I've only had two lessons so far after stopping a year ago. My hamstring muscles are so tight, and my who left hand side is really unflexible - does anyone else find that the shoulder/arm/side of the hand they write with tends to be alot less flexible/more tense?

As for clothes, I normally wear leggings on the bottom and on the top I have to layer (tanks, tees, light long sleeved tops) alot as I get cold really easily - maybe I should try bikram yoga, no danger of getting cold then!

14-09-2009
backstage pass

^ Hmm...No, I think my inflexibility issues have to do more with past injuries and/or compensation of one side [or one joint] for another over time.

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
15-09-2009
goodbye kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity*Now View Post
Define "hard"?
I guess I'd have to say YES and that's why I do it.
I mean tiring I do power yoga and I heard Ashtanga is even harder...

15-09-2009
backstage pass

Yes/no b/c you could still do a morning class and do what you need to do during the day or weekend. But you definately don't feel later on that you *didn't* work out...if that make sense.
To me it's harder than power yoga b/c you hold the poses longer plus there's that element of trying not to injure/kill yourself with all the inversions, arm balances, handstands... so your muscles really do kick in, full force.
1st series in Ashtanga is designed to be more of a detoxifying practice where as when you move on to 2nd series, it's more exhausting b/c it's designed a "tonic" for the nerves. A lot of people have emotional releases (aka crying episodes), at some point when they start and you do feel physically tired afterwards...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga