How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2004
front row

Yoga
I just recently started attending a hot yoga class, and I am obsessed. I just wanted to know if anyone else takes a class like this and what results/benefits you've received from the class?

01-10-2004
Hoppity Hop

Maybe it's mental but I do feel I'm getting more of a workout simply because I'm soaked right after we start. As far as my body getting looser quicker, I don't really know about that. There's a funny Time article from a few years back that describes it as "Balmy Yoga" because a lot of studios fail to reach truly "hot" temperatures Bikram requires.

At home during the summer I sometimes crank up the heater in the room I practice to really get the thermometer up. I've only passed out two or three times.

The best part of Bikram is that its "inventor" sued because he wanted royalites from everyone using this style of yoga.

01-10-2004
Fierce Flava

Hahah..I thought I'm the only one who's passed out....

My first yoga class was a bikram...I had no clue what I was doing and I was in Death Valley temperatures....I fainted and felt like I put clothes out of the washer on my shirt was so soaking wet....

I like bikram once in a while when I feel like punishing myself

01-10-2004
rising star

Hi! I practice yoga (not bikram) but in my school they teach you yoga should be pleasurable not a torture. Itīs true sometimes to achieve a certain posture or to gain some resistence is difficult...but it shouldnīt be painful. My teacher says our yoga is derived from tantric roots, meaning that it cherishes sensations and pleasure. She always encourages me to progress but challenging me in a good way...but no pain whatsoever. In the end you get so hooked that you end up practising every day and making great progress.
I donīt sweat too much, but the guys do...sometimes they change tee shirts to dry ones in the middle of the class.
I hope this helps...
Take a look here, I donīt know if you can read in spanish-portuguese but the pics are great to look at!

http://www.uni-yoga.org.br/home.php

01-10-2004
front row

The first few Bikram classes were painful, you are working muscles and your spine that has never been worked....a few classes into it, I hardly even notice the heat anymore, I'm addicted

02-10-2004
V.I.P.

It's a growing "trend"... a while back I had never heard of Bikram but it's been appearing in alot of health clubs. I haven't gotten the opportunity to try it because I live in a small town with two gyms, and they only have just discovered Pilates. I really do think it sounds interesting...

03-10-2004
backstage pass

Bikram feels wonderful. The heat and sweating helps your skin, too (in my experience). It's definitely a workout, but it's still relaxing and refreshing somehow. I don't know what to tell those of you who have experienced pain, but I think that you aren't supposed to get to the pain point I think .

I love it.

How much is it where you live, though? Where I live it's $15 if you pay by the class, whereas I think regular yoga at the Y is $10 or so.

04-10-2004
stories everywhere

this sounds interesting... but passing out? not cool

trendsetter

I've only done it once but it was awsome. and it's sooooo good for detoxifying your body.

that being said currently I don't have the $$ to spend on one or 2 bickram classes a week when I get free yoga and pilates at my gym.

04-10-2004
V.I.P.

$15... per class? Yikes... so if you did yoga 3x a week... $45 a week?

Woah.

04-10-2004
backstage pass

It's less if you get a subscription for a certain number of classes...but still, I definitely can't afford to go more than once per week (if that). That would be silly.

I live in a rich county though ( :rollseyes: yes it sucks), so I think that these prices are quite normal here. That's why I asked about the prices in other places.

04-10-2004
front row

I pay 10 dollars for a class with a student discount, i just signed up for a month it was 115

22-10-2004
windowshopping

I'm starting yoga classes, and I was just wondering, what does yoga do for my body, besides that I get more flexible?is there anything else, does it firm my body and stuff?stupid question, maybe...

22-10-2004
no photos, no photos

without getting too into it....Not only does it improve flexibility, it builds strenth, improves balance, increases circulation. Not to mention the amazing emotional/mental benefits. I won't even go into what it does for your internal organs and healing the body from the inside out.
Have a great time with it and make sure to experiment with various styles. Each one is different and challenging in it's own way and you may fing one that works best for you. I prefer Bikram, or Jivamukti if I'm not up to the heat.

trendsetter

hey Franny,

great that you're getting into yoga, I find the overall benefits both physically and mentally amazing.

Just keep in mind when you're starting yoga you're making your body do things it's not used to and there will be an adjustment time. I found when I started that I would often get nausious during and after class and feel either elated or cranky after class. That's considered normal when you start yoga because you are relesasing a lot of toxins in your system that can make you feel yucky while they are working their way out. Make sure you talk to your instructor about any questions/concerns. and always drink a lot of water after class

as far as benefits, I found my posture improved, my shoulders/arms looked sexier, my tummy slimmed down and overall I glow more.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yoga