How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2011
front row

Dang, Mullet! That's some admirable perseverance you have to go out into the early morn and do what for me is the equivalent of medieval torture: jogging

I also have relatively good skin ("Indian skin", as my mom likes to call it ) but lately I've been prone to breakouts and whatnot and it's driving me nuts! It might have to do with my recent switch to mostly "natural" products: I've become addicted to sites like iherb and often check the composition of products to make sure I'm not infusing my skin with chemicals. Sadly, I think my skin was probably more comfortable with synthetics than it is with all-natural products

On the plus side, I've pretty much quit makeup altogether! Except for some tinted lip balm and occasional pressed powder to lightly conceal recent acne scars (), I'm mostly makeup-free these days and I've come to enjoy experimenting with it only for special occasions

Anyway...

Face
1. Cleanser - Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash
2. Cream/moisturizer - Desert Essence Daily Essential Facial Moisturizer
3. Facial mask - Occasionally a green clay mask or more recently Queen Helene's mint julep mask
4. Exfoliator - Baking soda
5. Make-up remover - Diadermine eye-makeup remover

Body
6. Shower gels/Soaps- Palmolive Tahiti shower gel
7. Body lotions/creams- Lovea Organic shea butter lotion and Badger Company Creamy Cocoa Everyday Moisturizer
8. Lip balm or Lip treatment - Alba Botanics TerraTints in Blaze or Bloom (daytime) and Badger Company Pink Grapefruit lip balm (nighttime)

Hair
9. Shampoo/conditioner - Aubrey Organics Camomille Luxurious Volumizing Shampoo/Conditioner, alternated with Aubrey Organics GBP Balancing Shampoo/Conditioner
10. Mask or other treatments - Lovea Organics Shea Butter mask or a good old avocado/olive oil/honey mask

Make-up
Bah, I basically use whatever tinted lip balm/lipstick I have as blush and even eyeshadow Generally I'll go for whatever supermarket brand has the exact shade I'm looking for. Not always an easy find! :p

11. Powder - Bourjois Detox Organic Perfecting Powder
12. Eyeliner - Reserve Naturelle Waterproof Eyeliner

Last edited by unspoiledbird; 26-09-2011 at 05:41 AM.

26-09-2011
V.I.P.

Honestly girls, I have no idea what gets me out of bed, I was always so lazy and not at all what you call an 'early bird'!.. I realised that the hours I have HUGE issues with are 6-8 am, I'm dead at those hours and if I get up, I'll feel nauseous or just incredibly grumpy throughout the day. Waking up at 5-ish is like having someone scream "FIRE!", it's quick and you have no idea what the hell's going on but you're up, almost by somnambulism or tachycardia .. I wash face/brush teeth, change fast, grab a towel, bottle of water and I'm off, I seriously start noticing where I am and exactly what I'm doing more than half an hour into workout.

I say buy fun workout clothes, set an unexpected/fun playlist in your wakeup alarm, have it all ready just so you're not tempted to find clothes to wear back in the sheets and voilà. It's not even about how amazing you feel physically, it changes your outlook on the rest of your day, partly for the rush but it's also that tiny sense of accomplishment that makes for a good day starter.

Last edited by MulletProof; 26-09-2011 at 02:31 PM.
26-09-2011
scenester

so, can I even use my northern residence as an excuse for my lazyness ?
or do you go out to run whatever the weather is, rain or shine ?

26-09-2011
V.I.P.

I'm not sure, helli, because then I'd have to put out my desert card .
I mostly run in the gym though, unless the weather is really lovely, I love doing it outdoors but I seem to get tired in half the time I can endure on the treadmill. I'm thinking something similar happens in other types of extreme temperatures? (besides the impossibility of running through the snow ). But, see, I think heat for a prolonged period of time tends to make people quite bitchy and occasionally aggressive, probably in the same way prolonged darkness sometimes generates gloomy thoughts?, battling either is inviting enough for me and exercise does that quite a bit.

earthbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I say buy fun workout clothes, set an unexpected/fun playlist in your wakeup alarm, have it all ready just so you're not tempted to find clothes to wear back in the sheets and voilà. It's not even about how amazing you feel physically, it changes your outlook on the rest of your day, partly for the rush but it's also that tiny sense of accomplishment that makes for a good day starter.
That is such a good idea. Makes me wonder why I did not think of it sooner. I'm going to try that tomorrow (today is too soon, I have to catch some sleep as it is already past 3 am )!

These days, I'm not really adventurous with my beauty routine... skincare-wise, I think I've found the products that were made for me and I'm going to stick with them for a really long time.

As for makeup, I try to be as minimal as possible. The products I've listed are those I use the most, but not daily. Sometimes I'll just use a bit of foundation and replace it with my concealer because I'm that lazy. Most days I go without eyeshadow, blush and lipstick/lipgloss.

Face
1. Cleanser: Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser
2. Toner: Kiehl's Rare Earth Pore Refining Tonic
3. Cream/moisturizer: Kiehl's Rare Earth Pore Minimizing Lotion or Weleda Baby Calendula Face Cream (day) and Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate (night)
4. Facial mask: Kiehl's Rare Earth Pore Cleansing Masque
5. Mist: Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs & Rosewater
6. Make-up remover: Bioderma Sensibio H2O

Body
7. Shower gels/soaps: Philosophy The Gingerbread House or Hermès Eau de Merveille
8. Body lotions/creams: Bath & Body Works Triple Moisture Body Cream in Japanese Cherry Blossom
9. Hand cream: Kibio Crème Intemporelle Mains / Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve (on the go)
10. Lip balm or lip treatment: Blistex Complete Moisture (day) and Nuxe Rêve de Miel (night)
11. Perfume: Balenciaga Paris

Hair
12. Shampoo/conditioner: Matrix Biolage Smooth Thérapie Line

Make-up
13. Foundation: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum
14. Concealer: Garnier 2-in-1 Anti-Dark Circle Eye Roller
15. Powder: Maybelline Dream Matte Powder
16. Blush: NARS The Multiple in Orgasm
17. Mascara: Fairy Drops Scandal Queen
18. Lipstick/Lipgloss: Revlon Lipstick in Demure or Kiehl's Lipgloss in Pink Rider
19. Eyeshadow: NARS Charade Duo Eyeshadow
20. Eyeliner: NARS Black Moon

27-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ i use Kiehl's Rare Earth Pore Cleansing Masque twice a week. havent found a better mask!

backstage pass

Wow...
This thread is making me think my "wash face with water, then put aloe vera gel"-routine could do with some evolving...

earthbound

^ if it's efficient, you should stick with that routine!

07-12-2011
rising star

I can't read the whole thread, but what do you think of not using water at all when cleansing your face?
I am trying to do that now and I must say my skin looks radiant, much better than with my water routine. But I am afraid that the skin can't be clean if not with water... So I clean it with water twice a week! What do you think guys?

So my routine is now,

morning:
Avène cleanser lotion
La Roche-Posay toner
Moisterizer (sometimes Nuxe, sometimes Simple, sometimes Lush!)

evening:
Avène cleanser lotion
La Roche-Posay toner
Moisterizer if my skin needs it

Once a week, I use a Vichy foaming cleanser (so... to use with water!), usually in the evening.

Feels very minimalist! I am trying to go as simple as possible.

07-12-2011
backstage pass

^ I do the same as you do. My skin doesn't tolerate water very well, it gets so bumpy and dry when I cleanse with water everyday. But just to get it deep cleansed I cleanse with a foaming cleanser twice a week, followed by a scrub

rising star

Face:
Korres Thyme & Sage cleanser
Kiehls moisturizing cream
La Roche-Posay Anthelios sunscreen

Hair:
Jason jojoba shampoo

Body:
Whatever shower gel is cheaper
Jason aloe vera body lotion

19-01-2012
windowshopping

Face
1. Cleanser; Bioderma Crealine H2O, and Embryolisse Lait Creme Moussant sans savon in the shower
2. Toner; Eau Preciuse before bed, lavender water when my skin is irritated
3. Moisturizer; Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentré, pure Aloe Vera Gel, Avene Cicalfate repair cream or Rønsbøl Repair Cream, depending on how my skin is feeling
3,5. Sunscreen; Bioré UV Perfect Face Milk SPF50+ or Heliocare Ultra SPF90 Gel
4. Mask; Mandelic Acid, Lactic Acid or Glycolic Acid from Make Up Artists Choice in lowest percentage once weekly, Salicylic Acid ranging from 3-15 % once a week. Sometimes homemade yogurt mask.
5. Exfoliator; as above ^
6. Makeup remover; Bioderma

Body
6. Shower gel; Any baby shower gel
7.Body cream; Lait Creme Fluide
9. Body exfoliator; gloves from The Body Shop
10. Hand/foot cream; body cream with socks and gloves on at night.. very sexy.

11. Lip balm and lip treatment; Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Balm , Dr. Lipp Nipple Balm and Fusion Beauty XL.
12. Perfume; Calvin Klein One

Hair
13. Shampoo/conditioner; Redken All Soft
14. Mask or other treatments; Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Long and Luscious (smells sooo good)
14,5. Styling; Redken 08 Aerate and 02 Satinwear, for nights out I'll add 06 Rewind or 08 Wool Shake

Make-up
15. Foundation; Becca Luminous Skin Colour or Lumiere Minerals Foundation homeblended with samples (cheap cheap cheap).
15,5. Luminizer; Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector
16. Powder; Lumiere Minerals or silicia powder
17. Blush; Becca Beach Tint (amazing ), or Aromaleigh Pure Blush / Rock Sonic rouge
18. Mascara; Max Factor Masterpiece or Dior Diorshow, always in brown
19. Lipstick/lipgloss/lip tint; Becca Beach Tint, Lanolips with colour or Benefit Silky Finish lipstick
20. Eyeshadow; Mac Eyeshadow or Lumiere Eye Pigment
21. Eyeliner; Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes pencil in 23L on waterline, Bobbi Brown Gel Liner in brown or grey on lashline for nights out

Whew.. Seems like a lot, but I don't use it all at once And I only have "natural" colours in my makeup-kit, except for my nailpolish (Essie) which is different shades of grey, green and blue.

Last edited by FrejaValentin; 19-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.
23-01-2012
backstage pass

My basic routine this winter. When it comes to the makeup I sometimes use different products but this is what I use the most often and that are worth mentioning.

Face
1. Cleanser: NUXE Cleansing Milk, NUXE Face Cleansing and Make-Up Removing Gel (once a week)
2. Serum: MD Formulations Continious Renewal Serum for Sensitive Skin
3. Moisturizer: NUXE Ultra Comfortable Face Cream or First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
4. SPF: Clinique Daily Protective Base SPF15
5. Exfoliator: First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads (every other night), MD Formulations Face & Body Scrub (once a week)
6. Mask: LUSH Mask of Magnaminty (twice a week), Origins Drink Up (twice a week)

Body
7. Body wash: LUSH Figs and Leaves Soap
8. Body cream: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream or Physiogel Creme
9. Body exfoliator: MD Formulations Face & Body Scrub (twice a week)
10. Hand/foot creams: L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream, LUSH Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter

Hair
11. Shampoo/conditioner: L'Occitane Soothing Shampoo and Conditioner
12. Masks & other treatments: L'Occitane Repairing Mask (twice a week), Jojoba Oil (as a pre-treatment, once a week)
13. Styling: John Masters Organics Sea Mist (not all the time)

Makeup
14. Base: Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base (face), MAC Paint Pot in Painterly (lids)
15. Foundation: Origins Nude and Improved in 04 or Chanel Perfection Lumiére in BR12
15.5 Concealer: Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque (eyes), Bobbi Brown Touch Up Stick in Warm Ivory (face)
16. Powder: Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder in 20
17. Cheeks: NARS Blush in Douceur or Jemma Kidd Créme Cheek Colour in Guava, Jemma Kidd All Over Radiance Créme in Iced Gold
18. Mascara: Clinique Lash Power Mascara in Black Onyx
19. Lips: YSL Rouge Pur Couture in 06 or Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Escale
20. Eyeshadows: Bobbi Brown Sand Tortoiseshell Palette, Topshop Mousse Eyeshadow in Glint, Makeup Mekka Trio (with Wine Frost, Silk Sheets and Peach Quarts)
21. Eyeliner: Make Up Store Gel Eyeliner in Black
22. Brows: ELF Eyebrow Kit in Light, ELF Eyebrow Treat & Tame in Light

Last edited by Nikoline; 23-01-2012 at 11:51 AM.
23-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
Crikey! Do people seriously devote so much time to a beauty routine? Mine lasts for about 3 mins. The only thing I ever do is cleanse my face, slap on sunscreen, use vaseline on my lips and an under eye cream before I go to sleep. I don't - and never have, ever - used any sort of make-up whatsoever. I do use body creams, though, as they smell good.
Spoke too soon.

In the dying months of last year, years of staggering neglect and abuse had finally caught up. Unbelievable stress and unhealthy eating habits, combined with a lack of exercise just took it's toll, and it wasn't pretty.

I had to revamp my entire skincare schedule. From nada I went to a veritable product whore. I still don't use any make-up, though. Application of makeup looks so completely mind boggling to me. Unlike skincare, make-up needs to be "done properly" and is just so much more hassle, in that the only thing one needs to know about applying creams is to massage it properly, unlike application of make-up which involves a plethora of brushes fora plethora of products. I just don't have the time for it, and if there's one thing worse than not wearing make-up, it wearing make-up incorrectly and looking one hot mess.

Anyway, so my skincare regime looks something like this.

AM

Cleanser: Darphin Aromatic Cleansing Balm With Rosewood or Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm
Facial Mist: Evian Brumisateur Facial Spray or Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist
Toner: Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner
Exfoliator: Biologique Recherche Lotion P50
Serum: Institut Esthederm Molecular Care Intensive Propolis Concentrated Formula Serum and Institut Esthederm Intensif Vitamine C Concentrated Formula Powder Serum
Antioxidant Cream: Institut Esthederm Molecular Care Intensive Vitamin C Cream
Moisturiser: Dr Hauschka Rose Day Cream or Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre, if my skin feels oily.
Eye Cream: Sisley Sisleya Eye and Lip Contour Cream
Sunscreen: La Roche Posay Anthelios

PM

Precleanser: Nude Facial Cleansing Oil or Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil
Cleanser: Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser or Nuxe Reve de Miel with the Clarisonic Pro
Facial Mist: Evian Brumisateur Facial Spray or Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist
Toner: Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner
Exfoliator: Biologique Recherche Lotion P50
Serum: Institut Esthederm Molecular Care Intensive Propolis Concentrated Formula Serum and Institut Esthederm Intensif Vitamine C Concentrated Formula Powder Serum
Antioxidant Cream: Institut Esthederm Molecular Care Intensive Vitamin C Cream
Moisturiser: Nuxe Crème Étincélante or Sisley Restorative Facial Cream with Shea Butter. Every so often I also alternate with the Darphin Aromatic Purifying Balm
Eye Cream: Sisley Sisleya Eye and Lip Contour Cream

Crazy, eh? Only it works and my skin looks markedly better.

Last edited by pavonine; 23-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.
25-01-2012
front row

I have a question:

I do not wear makeup, so in the morning I cleanse, use toner, and apply moisturizer with spf 30 (La Prairie Anti Age Day Creme). That's it. I just purchased primer for my face in order to minimize the appearance of pores. My question is: should I put the moisturizer on first, or the primer? I want to make sure the SPF in my moisturizer is still effective.

Thanks!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beauty, routine