How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichina View Post
Wow I didn't think it was possible to take a pill and only get 4 periods a year! That sounds amazing. My periods aren't that bad, but still, they're annoying.

Ah damn it looks like it's only available in the US with prescription.
You don't need Seasonique in order to skip periods.

You can do it with Yasmin and others that are 21 active pills/7 placebo pills. All you do is skip the 7 placebo pills, moving on to the next packet of 21 active pills. You usually have to build up your bodies resistance to it though... eg, first time I skipped I could only get through 1 1/2 packs before I started spotting.... then it was 2 packs... and now I can go through 3 packs without any spotting or bleeding.

But like I said above, it may be unhealthy to do this too often. One or two months seems fine, but there hasn't been much research on the effects of extended and continuous hormonal birth control. As there are already risks associated with normal HBC use, it would seem likely that those risks would be amplified with more use, and without the routine hormonal changes our body is programmed to have. There's also other factors directly to do with skipping, such as a build up of higher-than-normal iron levels, because it's not being released, etc.

Last edited by *Bianca*; 13-04-2010 at 09:05 AM.

13-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post

I usually choose to have a period every 2nd or 3rd month. I think skipping, even with BC, can be unhealthy though
back in the day, i used to try to skip my periods by taking the pill constantly. it didnt work all the time for me.

Power to the 99%

^ Just wanted to note that I didn't get a shot of Novocaine or anything like that ... I also had irregular spotting the entire time I had mine. AFAIK, the spotting was from where the copper thing was poking me & making me bleed ... It was kind of like having a completely unpredictable period. I think it may well have worked out to more days of the month for me ... and I have quite a long period.

They are typically described as a small piece of copper ... I was picturing something the size of an earring. It's much bigger than that ... while relatively thin, it's designed to take up the entire space vertically. I was surprised at the size ... and how pointy it was.

13-04-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsInHerEyes View Post
I get my period once every 4 months or so, and it's very light. No pain or bloating, etc. Except I swear a lot when I have it, which has garnered me the nickname "The Red Sea Sailor". I know I'm pretty lucky, though. I don't want to take any pills or anything, because you don't mess with a good thing, right?
i have the same thing - every 3 or 4 months. i have never told my doctor about it because i'm not complaining. i still get them so everything should be fine, my body is just probably a little weird

This is the Renaissance

Last Summer I posted here about a period from HELL (after never really having bad ones before).

I had another horrible, horrible period last month. Like crime-scene bad. Anyhow, I mentioned this during my annual Gyn visit last week and she said "Oh nooooo, you do not have to put up with that!"

Turns out that I have a fibroid! I don't know much more than that yet except that they are very common (usually non-cancerous) and can cause heavy bleeding. I have another appointment soon to learn more and discuss getting rid of the thing.

Anyhow, I mention this for those of you in similar situations. I know several of you here have already been there and back. But if you have bad periods and have not chatted with your doctor about it, it might not be a bad thing to do!

Last edited by cygnenoir; 30-04-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: grammar!
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cycle, monthly, period