How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
29-06-2009
  46
trendsetter
 
Katie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by raerae View Post
People are just jealous of her, because she gorgeous and succesfull at such a young age!

I think she's very pretty, has an excellent taste, very inspiring and talented!
how is saying we're only saying these things because we're jealous 'she's gorgeous and successful' a valid comment?

no one is questioning her looks because i don't see how that would be on topic and no one is saying she doesn't have any talent especially because we haven't been able to see whether she has it or not yet. i just don't think it's fair to say she's amazingly talent and totally deserves it based on her blog solely. she has a great eye for style yes, seems like a lovely girl and should take the opportunity yes, but talented, who knows?

 
 
29-06-2009
  47
»re de ℳodernitť
 
Thefrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Paris.
Gender: homme
Posts: 11,030
^perfectly said

__________________
> MY INSTAGRAM
Status: Online
 
29-06-2009
  48
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,423
I am very happy for jane and her opportunity, but it also makes me very sad that the same opportunity is not passed to a design school kid who hasn't slept/eaten for days because they're working and MAKING their shoe collection for finals and such.

I don't really mind it all, but it's making it harder and harder for those who actually went to school to study the craft to have these opportunities...

IOW I don't agree with this if it robs someone else from a deserved opportunity, but if both Jane and "design student" got the same opportunity, this wouldn't be such a problem with most people.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:

Last edited by educo; 29-06-2009 at 05:12 PM.
 
29-06-2009
  49
tfs star
 
shoegal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,982
I like her blog and I'm glad she has been given this opportunity. That said, the shoes are cute but I agree with the general opinion, nothing really interesting just knockoffs as we expected.

That said, does anyone have her mother's blog address?? sorry for the OT!

__________________
"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening"
 
29-06-2009
  50
trendsetter
 
Katie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,469
http://atlantishome.typepad.com/my_weblog/

 
29-06-2009
  51
doldrums
 
silk skin paws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,358
Well I wish her the best.

 
30-06-2009
  52
technicolor tweed
 
Jungla_Juana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in der Nšhe
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
I am very happy for jane and her opportunity, but it also makes me very sad that the same opportunity is not passed to a design school kid who hasn't slept/eaten for days because they're working and MAKING their shoe collection for finals and such.

I don't really mind it all, but it's making it harder and harder for those who actually went to school to study the craft to have these opportunities...

IOW I don't agree with this if it robs someone else from a deserved opportunity, but if both Jane and "design student" got the same opportunity, this wouldn't be such a problem with most people.
I agree completely.

 
30-06-2009
  53
tfs star
 
shoegal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie123 View Post
thank you!

__________________
"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening"
 
30-06-2009
  54
V.I.P.
 
MulletProof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 24,667
I think the shoes are completely suitable for Urban Outfitters, as WIW said, you certainly can't expect her to come up with something totally cutting-edge and artisanal, this is Urban Outfitters, people, and it's Urban Outfitters doing what Urban Outfitters does best: projecting what's trendy at the moment.. blogs are, Jane's blog is and so are these shoes, which being UO, must have a bit if not total 'inspiration' from the runway. I really can't see how she's stealing any chances from other people, it's a goddamn collaboration only and the girl, being a buyer, knows about shoes better than most people, even from certain male designers that come up with ridiculous stuff to wear evidently based on the fact that they've never tried one of their 'boys' on themselves... I'd probably be a little disappointed with world justice if she decided to design a collection and the guerrilla stores would pick up on that, but this UO, design students can sleep happily at night, I'm sure they didn't study that hard to be conceptually and technically strangled by a chain like that.. no need for drama.

Now, just to get this off my chest, I find unbelievably simple-minded and lazy all these comments regarding her background and income.. I think these women (Jane & her mother) could simply choose to dive into blind consumerism and dress like label-whores, like a majority of wealthy, good-for-nothing bacteries choose to do.. however, I find it very very positive that they both seem to like working hard on their passions and have this inssasiable thirst to uncover every single name out there, explore it, try to understand it and create their own concepts around them.. that need to know something (read: leaving aside the possibilities to ACQUIRE it) has nothing to do with money.. we used to have this member here, Spacemiu, who had that exact same thing, he was super young and every single day had a new name or work of art to discover and obsess over.. and he wasn't just a walking and useless encyclopedia, he didn't move on from something until he seemed to understand it.. I think Jane has that quality too, which comes from being curious, self-taught and having this constant need to learn everything, question your own eye and train it until you feel a little satisfied with the result.. now, Spacemiu didn't share all the time but Jane does and I find that.. kind. Having said that, as lazy and stupid as it is, it can be totally understandable that, if people (mostly undersage) think you're pretentious for liking Tao (based on a 5-minute trip over their collections archives, maybe less), it might even be more outrageous in their eyes to see you INVEST in something like Tao .. well.. what is Jane supposed to do?.. quit it and go to the arms esteban coartazar or marc jacobs so rich-aspiring "fashionistas" can be ok?.. too many issues, girls.

__________________
Metal teeth of carousels.

Last edited by MulletProof; 30-06-2009 at 10:27 AM.
 
30-06-2009
  55
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 6
I can't believe she's so young, but that's great for her!

__________________
xoxo, Too Poor for Couture
http://toopoorforcouture.wordpress.com
 
30-06-2009
  56
Fashion Designer
 
daniellat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mexico
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,954
Usually i have a problem with celebs turning designers, im in the side of the spectrum like educo said, of the fashion student who doesnt sleep or eat to have their collection ready for school etc etc. Celebs attach their names to promote their brand, and it pisses me off that they fill the market with their clothes and let us students or young designers hopeless.

But i like Jane, and i like what shes doing, shes obviously not a designer and has zero experience in that field, but who is at her age? with no training whatsoever? she has a very succesful blog sharing what she likes to do best, buy shoes. Its not her fault she has the kind of money to buy every shoe she likes, whats she supposed to do?

She seems like she really enjoys fashion and i admire her for not being just the average aeropostale head to toe teenager like many outthere. She loves vintage clothes, what girl her age even knows what vintage means? I think shed be a fool not to accept this amazing offer from UO. After all, they contacted her because hundreds of us go to her blog everyday. She does what she loves to do and she gets paid for it, shes gorgeous and shes fortunate... ill better start an "ocean of clothes" soon lol

__________________
Fashion Illustration BLOG
 
01-07-2009
  57
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I think the shoes are completely suitable for Urban Outfitters, as WIW said, you certainly can't expect her to come up with something totally cutting-edge and artisanal, this is Urban Outfitters, people, and it's Urban Outfitters doing what Urban Outfitters does best: projecting what's trendy at the moment.. blogs are, Jane's blog is and so are these shoes, which being UO, must have a bit if not total 'inspiration' from the runway. I really can't see how she's stealing any chances from other people, it's a goddamn collaboration only and the girl, being a buyer, knows about shoes better than most people, even from certain male designers that come up with ridiculous stuff to wear evidently based on the fact that they've never tried one of their 'boys' on themselves... I'd probably be a little disappointed with world justice if she decided to design a collection and the guerrilla stores would pick up on that, but this UO, design students can sleep happily at night, I'm sure they didn't study that hard to be conceptually and technically strangled by a chain like that.. no need for drama.
.
I think you misread what I wrote. Graduating fashion students need all the experience they can get as soon as they graduate and they usually end up at companies like UO, Gap, Banana, etc...they are not being chased after the big companies they would LIKE to end up with unless they had some serious press while they were in college.

Sure it's not a conceptual fashion students dream to design at UO , however, the majority of graduating fashion students end up at companies like that to cut their teeth. And if all it took was to put up a blog and speak passionately and sincerely about their love of fashion and shoes, then no one would feel the need to go to design school.

Obviously Jane is still in highschool, so she can't go to design school full time just yet, if she wanted to. But when these opportunities come, it does slap in the face of those who decided to take the route of educatig themselves about the craft first.

__________________
BLOG

TWITTER:
 
01-07-2009
  58
V.I.P.
 
BerlinRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Manhattan, UES
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I think the shoes are completely suitable for Urban Outfitters, as WIW said, you certainly can't expect her to come up with something totally cutting-edge and artisanal, this is Urban Outfitters, people, and it's Urban Outfitters doing what Urban Outfitters does best: projecting what's trendy at the moment.. blogs are, Jane's blog is and so are these shoes, which being UO, must have a bit if not total 'inspiration' from the runway. I really can't see how she's stealing any chances from other people, it's a goddamn collaboration only and the girl, being a buyer, knows about shoes better than most people, even from certain male designers that come up with ridiculous stuff to wear evidently based on the fact that they've never tried one of their 'boys' on themselves... I'd probably be a little disappointed with world justice if she decided to design a collection and the guerrilla stores would pick up on that, but this UO, design students can sleep happily at night, I'm sure they didn't study that hard to be conceptually and technically strangled by a chain like that.. no need for drama.

Now, just to get this off my chest, I find unbelievably simple-minded and lazy all these comments regarding her background and income.. I think these women (Jane & her mother) could simply choose to dive into blind consumerism and dress like label-whores, like a majority of wealthy, good-for-nothing bacteries choose to do.. however, I find it very very positive that they both seem to like working hard on their passions and have this inssasiable thirst to uncover every single name out there, explore it, try to understand it and create their own concepts around them.. that need to know something (read: leaving aside the possibilities to ACQUIRE it) has nothing to do with money.. we used to have this member here, Spacemiu, who had that exact same thing, he was super young and every single day had a new name or work of art to discover and obsess over.. and he wasn't just a walking and useless encyclopedia, he didn't move on from something until he seemed to understand it.. I think Jane has that quality too, which comes from being curious, self-taught and having this constant need to learn everything, question your own eye and train it until you feel a little satisfied with the result.. now, Spacemiu didn't share all the time but Jane does and I find that.. kind. Having said that, as lazy and stupid as it is, it can be totally understandable that, if people (mostly undersage) think you're pretentious for liking Tao (based on a 5-minute trip over their collections archives, maybe less), it might even be more outrageous in their eyes to see you INVEST in something like Tao .. well.. what is Jane supposed to do?.. quit it and go to the arms esteban coartazar or marc jacobs so rich-aspiring "fashionistas" can be ok?.. too many issues, girls.
I do understand your point ... and it's valuable (????)

but I try to think of this as something more general. Try to put it on another level. As already said, I have nothing against Jane (for God's sake, poor girl .... she's like being the martyr of what I think of all this business).

Do these collaboration are something very valuable ?! I tend to hate this marketing plans ... That's it, I'm sorry ...
Whoever it may concern.



When a label does a collaboration with an artist or another designer, I think it's interesting ... Because these collab' are something else - other than just plain economics ...
But when it comes to 'celebs' (or blog celebs), I think it's very different, in the sense it's no more about creation, but just pure spectacle. And it bothers me at a high degree !

For what it may concern Jane, to me, she's worth much more Urban Outfitters. To me she should be a Teen Vogue access. editor or a consultant. Once I would hear this, I would be more than happy for her ! She deserves this kind of opportunity !



oh et puis ...


 
01-07-2009
  59
V.I.P.
 
ponytrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rabbit Hole
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,565
I love Jane's blog, she and her mother are so inspiring, so I'm very happy for her she got this opportunity!

__________________
World enough and time...
 
01-07-2009
  60
V.I.P.
 
leyla m.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: shoe emporium
Gender: femme
Posts: 16,472
mullet,
you said it all!

__________________
http://www.work-in-progress-blog.com/


weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
aldridge, blogger, jane, outfitters, urban
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.