How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-07-2009
Ère de ℳodernité

Does Jane still visit tFS? That'd be great if she could come to this thread and tell us about the whole process.

13-07-2009
Storm & Sommer

^ I believe so.. she often credits images from tFS

pinterest : hanneonpin

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

great idea thefrency, it would be fascinating to hear about the process, from concept to production.

13-07-2009
trendsetter

I don't see how the 'it's hOw tHe MArket wORks' way of thinking makes it acceptable.

I do think that most people (as in the interesting/creative ones) in the fashion industry need to have worked for years to get that kind of work opportunity, even more so when it comes to design (regardless of it being UO or not), so clearly that's not because she's gifted nor because she deserves it.She has a great style, that was clearly 'inspired' by her mother's.So what's her merit exactly ?
I'm not saying she should have turned down the opportunity, I'm just saying that people who have a little more respect for work/merit-value have a reason to be upset.

It gets even more upsetting when you look at the results.

Last edited by nanker_phledge; 13-07-2009 at 10:54 AM.

13-07-2009
trendsetter

I can't believe someone with a blog got to have this opportunity. Good for her.
The shoes don't wow me. Times have really changed. Save college money, just start a blog.

13-07-2009
Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
great idea thefrency, it would be fascinating to hear about the process, from concept to production.
Are you being ironical or ?

13-07-2009
trendsetter

I don't think she is.

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

not at all. believe me, i dont mince words. i think your idea was a great one. i hope jane does share the process with us.

13-07-2009
Not Thinking About Time

^ I know I wish she would come on here herself I feel like people are being really harsh on her (not just the shoes but Jane herself if you are going to criticize why not stick to the shoes)

Portfolio Last FM

13-07-2009
trendsetter

I don't think she will. She hasn't explained much about the shoes on her blog besides the collaboration. People have asked of course, but perhaps Jane doesn't want dive into it since we all know where her inspirations came from...

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

you kids need a time out. if this thread doesnt ease up on the harassment babble i will start deleting and editing content unless it pertains to shoes, darn it.

13-07-2009
fashion icon

I think its great she got this opportunity. The shoes are cute (yes, they are obviously inspired by her favourite shoes, but I highly doubt she would deny this) and I'd much rather bloggers got the opportunity than some random overstyled celebrity who knows little about fashion - because lets not pretend that if Jane (or another blogger) had not done this line that UO would have gotten a design student/'professional' to design a range, they would have got a celebrity to do it. The whole point of such collaborations is, to be blunt, attract sales and a well known name does this

I think some people on this thread have a case of the 'green eyed monsted'

13-07-2009
a hymn to darkness

I don't understand why people are still going on and on about design students...
This is not about design, it's about making $$$. There are people all over the world who adore Jane and her lovely wardrobe. Most of these people are not as fortunate as Jane, so imagine how excited they are to be able to own a shoe inspired by Jane's style/favorite brands? It's not rocket science.

UO is not the only establishment banking on the blogging trend. Every major blogger with a distinct POV has been granted with numerous opportunities. Is anyone crying over the gigs The Sartorialist has with Conde Nast??? Or Susie Bubble's gig with Dazed Digital? People are giving Jane a tough time because she is living the good life. It is an age-old scenario, but atleast Jane has some style and taste. She isn't just some trendwhore with an infinite bank account. Blogging is the cheapest form of Marketing out there. If you can get one of these people to wear your article of clothing or endorse your brand/establishment, you will rake in millions... many of you need to take off the rose-colored glasses and look @ the facts... it's silly to think that the fashion industry is all about design & aesthetic. In an ideal world, that would be the case but in this life, most people want to keep their heads above water. Plus, it's just URBAN OUTFITTERS, people... it isn't Pierre Hardy or Nicholas Kirkwood... relax

I also think bringing up the family's income is poor taste. Again, they have money. They have never tried to hide or showcase this aspect of their lives. However, money does not equate style. 'Apeing her mother's style'??? What exactly are you trying to get at? She is inspired by her mother... like most people; how this equates into Jane having no style of her own is beyond me... it just seems petty and sophomoric to bring up such tasteless points.

13-07-2009
Noblesse oblige

^I don't think anybody isn't aware that UO is doing this to earn $$$$ - people are just regretting it is that way.

13-07-2009
a hymn to darkness

I'm just surprised that people are so shocked and hurt by this scenario...
It's been going on for years and that doesn't necessarily make it 'right', but it truly the nature of the beast..

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
aldridge, blogger, jane, outfitters, urban