How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-01-2005
rising star

Boots that are too tight around the calves? How to rectify?
If anyone remembers those Torte boots by Bellini that I posted about a while ago. Well the friend I spoke about has a pair in size 11 US. The problem is that she has muscular legs and that the zip of these boots wont get past the calves. I figure that people must have had problems like thiis before, especially with zip-up knee length boots so how do you get around the problem?

Thanks for any feedback.

08-01-2005
front row

Two Tips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balacau
If anyone remembers those Torte boots by Bellini that I posted about a while ago. Well the friend I spoke about has a pair in size 11 US. The problem is that she has muscular legs and that the zip of these boots wont get past the calves. I figure that people must have had problems like thiis before, especially with zip-up knee length boots so how do you get around the problem?

Thanks for any feedback.
1. Slouch the boots down, zip, pull all the way up.
2. Go to a shoemaker and ask them to stretch them. They have machines to stretch out the calves for you.

13-10-2005
....ITMFA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrichi
1. Slouch the boots down, zip, pull all the way up.
2. Go to a shoemaker and ask them to stretch them. They have machines to stretch out the calves for you.
I really, really want these boots from LaRedoute, but I'm afraid they won't fit my calves. How much can they stretch the boots? What about adding material in? Would that be possible for these boots, or would it just mess them up? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Last edited by Luxury's Lap; 29-11-2006 at 12:50 PM.
13-10-2005
God Save McQueen

yeah, my mom has that problem, she never wears boots.

my fryes are a little tight around the calves too, and those dont have zips. suggestions?

13-10-2005
windowshopping

I have this problem too, although my legs aren't really that big =/ I also used to work at Saks and so I would stretch boots out all the time before buying them to see if it worked. It stretched them out a bit, but not too much. I have gotten around this buy just trying on every single boot possible and buying the stretchy kind of boot, instead of the more structured kind. My coworker used to cut slits in her boots on the inside so you really couldn't see it, but I can't see myself cutting suede boots

14-10-2005
front row

Go to a shoemaker and ask him for his advice... sometimes there's already a bit of elastic on the inside of the leg, so he only needs to insert a bigger piece - or he can add one.

I plan to have that done - a bigger piece put in.

11-02-2009
rising star

Boot Stretching
There is a pair of Fiorentini & Baker boots that I would like to buy. I have never bought such a high-end piece of footwear before and I'd like to hear from people who have experiences. One size fits me in length perfectly, but I find them really snug side to side. Not quite uncomfortable but they have the potential of being uncomfortable if I wear them a long time...and I certainly could not wear a pair of socks inside. The next size up fits side to side but feels a bit loose in the length.

My question is, this is really high quality leather and I know leather can stretch and does on some pieces, do you think these would stretch? Is anyone familiar with this label?

12-02-2009
Aby
V.I.P.

I can't answer specifically about the F+B but if it's too narrow even if the leather is good quality and does stretch I advise to return the boots, if you can.

I experienced that kind of dilemna where I'd buy too snug shoes telling myself that it'd stretch, that I could have them enlarged but, for me anyway, I always end up suffering and baning the shoes.

In my opinion, better the shoes, especially boots, to be a bit large and add an insole +thick socks than too tight.

12-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
I can't answer specifically about the F+B but if it's too narrow even if the leather is good quality and does stretch I advise to return the boots, if you can.

I experienced that kind of dilemna where I'd buy too snug shoes telling myself that it'd stretch, that I could have them enlarged but, for me anyway, I always end up suffering and baning the shoes.

In my opinion, better the shoes, especially boots, to be a bit large and add an insole +thick socks than too tight.

Hey thanks for your reply

I emailed them and they actually replied pretty quickly and said that their soft leather boots are totally stretchable but to take them to a good quality shop to have it done.

24-02-2009
windowshopping

I have a wide foot, and I have a tendency to buy boots that are too narrow, wear them for a while and stretch them, and then TAKE THEM OFF. I didn't realize this at first when I bought a pair of Frye Paige Tall Riding boots and wore them out with my mom the first night. I was on my feet a long time and I was in tears by the end of the night! I was miserable that I'd spent so much on a pair of boots to have them cripple me.

I had the same problem with a pair of cowboy boots, which were SO NARROW I could only wear them for an hour or so before I couldn't stand it anymore. Eventually I broke them in and now I can wear them all day. The trick is to wear them for short periods of time and let your foot stretch them naturally.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boot, stretching